• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

devilbirder

Hi all,
This thread is intended to be a basis for discussion for anyone interested in birds and birding in Surrey, don't know if it will kick off but feel free to join in.
Best wishes,
TDB

Hi, David,
Sorry this thread doesn't seem to have taken off! There is a Surreybirders Yahoo group, but I don't know whether it's the sort of thing that would interest you.
I live in SE Surrey (a rural bit) and have a good local patch that I'm also doing for the BTO atlas. Best birds on my tetrad so far have been tawny, little, barn owls and green sandpiper, stonechat and LSW (59 sp for TQ34R). I flushed a woodcock in a neighbouring tetrad on a day that was otherwise pretty boring.
Ken

Maybe this thread should be moved to "The Local Patch" section where all the similar threads are, it might attract more attention there. I know I looked there first and was surprised not to find one and it was only cos this got bumped the other day that I noticed it.

Anyway here's something to put in it:
10 Goosanders (incl 7 drakes) on Painshill Park Lake, Cobham this afternoon.

I thought this thread was dead and buried- was just passing idea- perhaps I should have started a discussion then it would have kicked off.
Are Bramblings are still there? I live about a mile or two away so I am quite interested.
Another point of (old) news is the Spoonbill at Beddington SF in early December- last week there was a Med Gull there and there has been a Glaucous Gull there too.

Does anyone know a reliable site for Redstart in Surrey?

I thought this thread was dead and buried- was just passing idea- perhaps I should have started a discussion then it would have kicked off...
...Does anyone know a reliable site for Redstart in Surrey?

Nope, I resurrected it ;)

Thursley Common used to be pretty good for Redstarts, but it's probably changed a bit since the fire; Redstart Alley's not called that for nothing. Also near the Moat and elsewhere.

If not here then Hankley Common nearby or Frensham Commons, also Chobham Common sometimes but that had its own fire last year.

Thanks for the link Surreybirder. SBC website seems to have changed since I last looked at it. I put that in my favourites.

I thought this thread was dead and buried- was just passing idea- perhaps I should have started a discussion then it would have kicked off.
Are Bramblings are still there? I live about a mile or two away so I am quite interested.
Another point of (old) news is the Spoonbill at Beddington SF in early December- last week there was a Med Gull there and there has been a Glaucous Gull there too.

Does anyone know a reliable site for Redstart in Surrey?

Went to Epsom Common yesterday, super morning, lots of woodland birds including Bullfinch, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Redwing, Fieldfare. Heard a Water Rail as well.

Went to see the Kingsley Hoopoe- but missed it! Then on to Thursley Common for half an hour- not much apart from a Woodcock which my freind and I flushed! Lifer for me because I don't actually go to the Surrey Commons as much as I should.
This year I am targeting woodland birds like Redstart, Wood Warbler, Nightjar, Woodcock etc so I willl making a few visits to the commons.

Nightjar and Woodcock should be easy enough at dusk in late May at Thursley or Frensham, or Chobham Common where I go. Redstart I've seen at Thursley or Frensham in early May, there seem to be reasonable numbers in Surrey. Wood Warbler I think will be far more difficult, it might have virtually gone from Surrey now, I don't know any reliable sites.

I'll try and contribute to this when I can, I haven't actually got out yet this year due to illness. I'd also be interested in hearing others' sightings. By the way I believe the new Birds of Surrey book is now out, but I haven't seen it yet.

Is it out, and it's bloody marvelous! Cost £35 (which ain't bad as it's nearly 700 pages). Details on Surrey Bird Club web site, publications page.

700 pages!!! That's pretty good- I will order it soon.
I read about Ashdown forest and it said you get a few Wood Warbler there- it would be hard though- might as well just try for them in Wales this spring.

Found this forum- you probably already are members but I prefer this to yahoo email groups: www.birders-online.co.uk

I have to admit I rarely look at this site because I hate the way the sightings scroll through so that if you miss something, you have to wait for it to come all the way round again.

Back to Redstarts, does anyone know any specific info on where they might be at Chobham Common?

I have to admit I rarely look at this site because I hate the way the sightings scroll through so that if you miss something, you have to wait for it to come all the way round again.

Back to Redstarts, does anyone know any specific info on where they might be at Chobham Common?

Hi, Clive, I have to admit that I'm quite a fan of the site
a) because if you log on you can check all the day's sightings (withoug scrolling) and you can even click on 'scarce birds' removing all the blue tits etc
b) because I enjoy the patchlist challenge
c) because it keeps a cumulative list of all the species seen in Surrey during the year
d) because you can compare your sightings with those of other keen patch-listers
e) all the sightings get sent to the county recorder and thus on to the county database.

Apart from that it's pretty useless :-O

Is it out, and it's bloody marvelous! Cost £35 (which ain't bad as it's nearly 700 pages). Details on Surrey Bird Club web site, publications page.

Hi, Dave,
Welcome to Birdforum. You keep popping up all over the place ;)
My name - Surreybirder - seems rather pretentious when I compare how little I do compared with you. At the time I joined it seemed a natural link with Surreybirders Yahoogroup. Perhaps it's time I changed it!
Couldn't agree with you more about "Birds of Surrey" - I cannot imagine any birder in Surrey wanting to be without it.
To whet the appetite, there are 4 pages on wood warbler. There is a list of 70sites where the species has been seen in the breeding season between 1970 and 2000. Curiously, Devil's Punchbowl doesn't seem to be one of them (though it's possible that it is under a different name (Hindhead?). The map suggests that the main sites are concentrated in the extreme SW of the county with a fair scattering of records in mid-southern Surrey.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back