• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon PROSTAFF 7S Binoculars (1 Viewer)

SteveTS

Here :

www.nikon.com/news/2014/0501_prostaff7s_01.htm

Blurb :

PROSTAFF 7S binoculars, featuring 8x30, 10x30, 8x42 and 10x42 models. The 8x42 and 10x42 models have been fully redesigned and are even more advanced than the PROSTAFF 7 binoculars which have gained a high reputation since their debut in 2011, while the 8x30 and 10x30 models further extend this brand lineup.

These new binoculars attain a stylish exterior to enhance their fashionability, the grip is designed for more comfortable holding, and attention has been paid to details such as the knurling on the focusing ring to realise user-friendly operation.

The optical structure was newly created exclusively for these binoculars to deliver a sharper image. In addition to standard-sized bright 42mm-diameter models, 30mm-diameter models that are easy to carry for everyone are available, providing high optical performance in a compact body.

All PROSTAFF 7S binoculars feature a nitrogen-gas-filled waterproof structure so that they can be used for a wide variety of purposes, such as birdwatching, nature watching and other outdoor activities, without being affected by the weather.

Key Features

All lenses and prisms are multilayer-coated for bright images
Phase-correction-coated roof prisms for high resolution
High-reflection mirror-coated prisms for bright images
Long eye relief design ensures a clear field of view, even for eyeglass wearers
Turn-and-slide rubber eyecups with multi-click facilitate easy positioning of eyes at the correct eyepoint
Waterproof (up to 1m/3.3 ft. for 10 minutes) and fog-free with nitrogen gas
Rubber armouring for shock resistance and a firm, comfortable grip
Eco-glass optics that are free of lead and arsenic are used for all lenses and prisms

Specifications
PROSTAFF 7S 8x30 PROSTAFF 7S 10x30 PROSTAFF 7S 8x42 PROSTAFF 7S 10x42
Magnification (x) 8 10 8 10
Objective diameter (mm) 30 30 42 42
Angular field of view (Real/degree) 6.5 6.0 6.8 6.2
Angular field of view (Apparent/degree) 48.9 55.3 50.8 56.9
Field of view at 1,000m (m) 114 105 119 108
Exit pupil (mm) 3.8 3.0 5.3 4.2
Relative brightness 14.4 9.0 28.1 17.6
Eye relief (mm) 15.4 15.4 19.5 15.5
Close focusing distance (m) 2.5 2.5 4.0 4.0
Interpupillary distance adjustment (mm) 56-72 56-72 56-72 56-72
Weight (g) 415 420 650 645
Length (mm) 119 119 167 164
Width (mm) 123 123 129 129
Type Roof Roof Roof Roof

If the new prices are equivalent to the old prices there isn't any reason they shouldn't sell as well as the old models did. Camera Land lists the old 8x42 model at $189.95.

The FOVs on the 30mm binoculars are narrow and they have 15.4mm ER. They only weigh about 15 ounces too. It's an odd size to make in this price range. Most cheap 8 x 32 roof prisms in this price range have wider FOVs and shorter ER. If the edges of the views are good and their price is low they might sell well.

Bob

PS: These new 7S binoculars are showing up now on the Nikon Website with the same old prices but are "currently unavailable for individual sale." The old Pro-staff 7 binoculars are listed there at sale prices.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/PROSTAFF/index.page

Last edited:
Quick, send in the clones. Don't bother, they're here.

Nice find, Sam.

Well, it just had to happen... Nikon UNIBODY CONSTRUCTION. Now all that's left to body snatch is the P5, and they will look like Chevy's line up. Is that a Cruze, Sonic, Malibu or Impala? Can't really tell from the front.

The FOV has improved (my longtime gripe with the 8x Monarchs and more recently with 8x P7). The 8x42 moves up from 6.3* to 6.8* and the 10x42 from 6* to 6.3* - equal to the Swaro 10x42 SLC-HD. However, the "High-reflection mirror-coated prisms" are probably still aluminum. If you're going to move them up, why not upgrade the prism coatings to silver?

I actually liked the original P7 body, which was a very long "open hinge" design, great for users with large hands. I could hold the 10x42 P7 much steadier than the 10x42 M5. The shorter FL of the P7S might increase aberrations rather than improve the view.

As Bob mentioned, the 30mm models' FOV are on the stingy side. I wish they would have made the equal to the 42mm models. If anything, the 30/32mm in most brands have wider FsOV than the 42mm models.

I like the... let's call it "S" body... (which probably stands for "Shorter") as Nikon uses for the M7 and M5. The 8x30 M7 fits my hands nicely for such a small roof. I've never been comfortable with 8x32 closed bridge roofs, because I'm "all thumbs." Not as happy with the 42mm "S" body, because the thicker barrels make it difficult to get fingers from both sides inside the 'open hinge."

The "S" body rubber is very tactile, though the same quality that makes them grip nicely also attracts all kinds of schmutz, and it's hard to get out.

I have to keep asking, why continually upgrade the low- to mid-end and leave the second tier Nikon Premier/HGL series untouched for a decade without the same improvements (dielectric coatings and ED glass) as you can find for $300-$400 in the M7 series? Makes no sense to me. At least upgrade the HGL's prism coatings, how much could that cost???

The fastest growing segment in optics is the second tier, and Nikon's Premier/HGL is a decade or more behind the competition at the same price point - Meopta HD/Cabela Euro HD, Conquest HD, Vortex Razor HD, Alpen Rainier HD, Leupold McKinley HD, Minox APO HG, etc...

How many EDG binoculars does Nikon sell? Probably not many. Lots of companies sell entry level to mid-level binoculars, though Nikon has the most popular model in the Monarch series. So CHECK, they got that segment covered.

The second tier is the battleground of the near-term future.

Brock

Last edited:
I wonder if the 8X30 have a nice glare

Well, if it did have flare, I'm sure it wouldn't be very "nice." :smoke:

But it's a good question whether or not the 30mm P7S models will have the same QC issues with unpainted parts since in all likelihood they use the same internal parts as the M7.

Btw, when I originally saw the name "Samandag" under your posts, I thought that was your name, although it seemed strange that a Texan would have a Turkish name. Plus, we already have another Samandag from the other side of the pond. What are the chances?

Is the dictum after the name supposed to be a quote from Samandag? If so, it would make more sense to put the name after the quote. Under the post, it looks like its your name.

Rule No.1 : "value is what you think it is".
We all cut our cloth according to our means. -- Samandag

<B>

Last edited:
Well, if it did have flare, I'm sure it wouldn't be very "nice." :smoke:

But it's a good question whether or not the 30mm P7S models will have the same QC issues with unpainted parts since in all likelihood they use the same internal parts as the M7.

Btw, when I originally saw the name "Samandag" under your posts, I thought that was your name, although it seemed strange that a Texan would have a Turkish name. Plus, we already have another Samandag from the other side of the pond. What are the chances?

Is the dictum after the name supposed to be a quote from Samandag? If so, it would make more sense to put the name after the quote. Under the post, it looks like its your name.

Rule No.1 : "value is what you think it is".
We all cut our cloth according to our means. -- Samandag

<B>

Just for you. :t: Honestly I never paid attention to it but you are right.

I originally posted my Rule No.1 in reply to a comment by Bill / WJC and I'm glad it's stuck !

It applies to us all : ' Rule No.1 : "value is what you think it is". We all cut our cloth according to our means. '

Hopefully the Nikon Prostaff 7Ss will on sale soon.

There may be some interesting comparisons to be made now that the new Vanguard Endeavour ED2 is available.

As ever only you can judge what works for you.

And, no, I'm not Turkish :-O

Enjoy the Summer !

I originally posted my Rule No.1 in reply to a comment by Bill / WJC and I'm glad it's stuck !

It applies to us all : ' Rule No.1 : "value is what you think it is". We all cut our cloth according to our means. '

Hopefully the Nikon Prostaff 7Ss will on sale soon.

There may be some interesting comparisons to be made now that the new Vanguard Endeavour ED2 is available.

As ever only you can judge what works for you.

And, no, I'm not Turkish :-O

Enjoy the Summer !

Summer? I"m still waiting for spring to arrive. 60* F high and raining tomorrow.

You don't have to be Turkish to enjoy Bonomo Turkish Taffy

Hadn't eaten some since I was a kid, didn't know they still made it, but then a local chocolatier started carrying it. You chill it in a freezer and then slam it down on the table and it breaks into small bite-sized pieces.

As to your dictum above, my cloth is cut from burlap. What kind of binocular should I buy based on that fabric?

As to an Anglo calling himself (or herself, your avatar looks feminine) by a Turkish name, Call me Ishmael! ;)

<I>

Last edited:
Summer? I"m still waiting for spring to arrive. 60* F high and raining tomorrow.

You don't have to be Turkish to enjoy Bonomo Turkish Taffy

Hadn't eaten some since I was a kid, didn't know they still made it, but then a local chocolatier started carrying it. You chill it in a freezer and then slam it down on the table and it breaks into small bite-sized pieces.

As to your dictum above, my cloth is cut from burlap. What kind of binocular should I buy based on that fabric?

As to an Anglo calling himself (or herself, your avatar looks feminine) by a Turkish name, Call me Ishmael! ;)

<I>

Bushnell sportview

Well, if it did have flare <B>

"A man should look for what is there, and not for what he thinks should be", Albert Einstein,

and I can't resist this one :

"With epidemiology you can tell a little thing from a big thing. What's very hard to do [with veiling glare] is to tell a little thing from nothing at all", with my apologies to Michael Thun ;)

"A man should look for what is there, and not for what he thinks should be", Albert Einstein,

and I can't resist this one :

"With epidemiology you can tell a little thing from a big thing. What's very hard to do [with veiling glare] is to tell a little thing from nothing at all", with my apologies to Michael Thun ;)

Thanks for quoting my Great Uncle Albert. My family tells me I look like him. However, I don't see what either quote has to do with me. I tried a good sample M7, didn't see any veiling glare, as I reported, but if you are going to poopah what others have seen through bins, you should join The Deniers Club (I think it's exclusively for Swarovski owners, but now that Mark owns a Zen Ray, they might be offering Jr. memberships for Chinese bin owners ;)) and address your post to those who did see veiling glare through the defective units they had such as at Frank D.

As Jerry likes to ask: Have you even tried an 8x30 M7?

I wish you had tried the first gen ZR 7x36 ED2. Veiling glare would have hit your eye like a big pizza pie. ZR quickly responded to the complaints (and ignored the few deniers, particularly after Holger and EDz found what was causing the veiling glare in that model and posted technical reports about it), and they came up with a fix, which those who have purchased the resurrected edition are now enjoying.

Besides, with all the glare coming off your astronaut's helmet, I'm not sure you could distinguish the source of veiling glare. :smoke:

I think your oxygen might be running out, quick -- check your gauge! ;)

Ishmael

You need to get out and mingle with the riff raff more. With a burlap budget you need used.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bushnell-sportview-binoculars

Perterra ED,

Since they knocked down the trailer parks in the area, that's been difficult to do. Now I have the ritzy Park Forest crowd with their Porsche, Audi and Mercedes SUVs dropping off their Pee Wee leaguers at the the field across the street. I tried to strike up a conversation with a couple of the parents, but all they wanted to talk about is whether Rolex was as good as Jaeger-Le Coultre, Patek Phillipe, or Ulysse Nardin. The best watch I've owned was a Timex, which lasted about 12 years, so I had nothing to contribute. Absolut_Beethoven could probably settle the debate, but he's gone walkabout, apparently.

I agree about buying used, at least with brands where the used bins warranty is good such as Nikon and Vixen. The Vixen 7x50 Foresta, which I used while out whaling with Ahab, had a floppy eyecup. After peeling back the rubber covering from the metal eyecup housing, I saw the source of the problem, a missing screw. it was a specially tooled item I couldn't purchase off the shelf, so I called Vixen and for $25 they are replacing the unit. Can't wait to get out on the open sea again, particularly now that the Great White finally got Ahab.

Not much of a roof prism fan, but if I did want to buy a good cheapie, Frank's recommendations are worth considering. You can't ignore a $158 bin that has over 900 posts about it on BF!

Ishmael

Last edited:
Perterra ED,

Since they knocked down the trailer parks in the area, that's been difficult to do. Now I have the ritzy Park Forest crowd with their Porsche, Audi and Mercedes SUVs dropping off their Pee Wee leaguers at the the field across the street. I tried to strike up a conversation with a couple of the parents, but all they wanted to talk about is whether Rolex was as good as Jaeger-Le Coultre, Patek Phillipe, or Ulysse Nardin. The best watch I've owned was a Timex, which lasted about 12 years, so I had nothing to contribute. Absolut_Beethoven could probably settle the debate, but he's gone walkabout, apparently.

I agree about buying used, at least with brands where the used bins warranty is good such as Nikon and Vixen. The Vixen 7x50 Foresta, which I used while out whaling with Ahab, had a floppy eyecup. After peeling back the rubber covering from the metal eyecup housing, I saw the source of the problem, a missing screw. it was a specially tooled item I couldn't purchase off the shelf, so I called Vixen and for $25 they are replacing the unit. Can't wait to get out on the open sea again, particularly now that the Great White finally got Ahab.

Not much of a roof prism fan, but if I did want to buy a good cheapie, Frank's recommendations are worth considering. You can't ignore a $158 bin that has over 900 posts about it on BF!

Ishmael

Your missing out by not picking up the sportviews, great sweetspot about the size of a pencil eraser.

check your gauge! ;) Ishmael

Chill, Brock, that was a light-hearted aside not a kick in your burlaps.

I tried the M7 along with the Kite/Bynnex but that's history and this is a Prostaff thread.

Defective units aside what one person may see as glare may be as much a product of eyeplacement / ER as it is of anything else and once again for me it's a user specific topic. There's no denying the experience of others but if someone says that he thought he saw a hint of veiling glare whilst pointing his bin at the tv stand you may want to question his judgement, or his sanity.

Apologies, I'm just a practical user not a post count professional.

Enjoy the Summer !

Chill, Brock, that was a light-hearted aside not a kick in your burlaps.

I tried the M7 along with the Kite/Bynnex but that's history and this is a Prostaff thread.

Defective units aside what one person may see as glare may be as much a product of eyeplacement / ER as it is of anything else and once again for me it's a user specific topic. There's no denying the experience of others but if someone says that he thought he saw a hint of veiling glare whilst pointing his bin at the tv stand you may want to question his judgement, or his sanity.

Apologies, I'm just a practical user not a post count professional.

Enjoy the Summer !

Oh, you were referring to THAT person's comments, not mine, even though you quoted me. That might not be clear to a non-clairvoyant. ;)

I'd like to put defective units aside, but they are already out there waiting for their next victim. So like the EDG 1s, I'll wait until these bad samples are all sorted out.

I will have no problem "chilling" since it's going down to 38* F tonight. What summer?

Keep posting to the ZR contest thread and Sightron II thread and you will be a post count professional in no time! Of course, as a professional, you will have to file a Sole Proprietor's tax form. :smoke:

I assume by your avatar you are a space enthusiast like me. Check out this trailer:

"Interstellar" trailer

<B>

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back