• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steppe Grey or Great Grey Shrike? (1 Viewer)

MuratC

Hi Everyone,

I have taken these photos this morning in northern Istanbul-Turkey. There are mixed opinions about this bird weather it is a Great Grey or Steppe Grey. Can you comment?

Thank You

Attachments

• _53I1351.jpg
    _53I1351.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 150
  • _53I1353.jpg
    _53I1353.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 83
worn but still visible white margins to greater coverts make it a first winter bird; first winter Steppe would show much more white on wing, far smaller mask and paler bill as well as a longer PP
Typical Great Grey Shrike imho

Thank You...

I've thought it could be a Steppe Shrike due to the paler mask in front of the eye, relatively long primaries and a larger white patch on the primary than a Great Grey. But of course I could be wrong as I'm no expert at all. I'll try to find it again if I can and hope to get a flying shot.

OK, these are fresh from today. All the birds in the photos are same, but it may not be the bird I posted earlier. I was able to get some flying shots where we can see the wings from above and below.

Attachments

• _53I1372.jpg
    _53I1372.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 68
  • _H9A8180.jpg
    _H9A8180.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 48
  • _H9A8181.jpg
    _H9A8181.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 69
  • _H9A8182.jpg
    _H9A8182.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 46
  • _H9A8186.jpg
    _H9A8186.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 40
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back