• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some "unseen" descriptions … now seen! (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s some other of James Jobling's "unseen" OD's … that I´ve found apparently "missing", while scrolling through the HBW Alive Key looking for Swedish naturalist.

None of these names are (at least this far) in my MS (of "Swedish" etymologies to solve) thereby I will not investigate them any further.

Although I hope they can help James in his gigantic work.

Or anyone else interested!

Well, here goes:

No. 1:
● "Apalis catiodes" REICHENOW 1908 … OD, here.

No. 2:
● … regarding the entry "cernutii" … is maybe some kind of typo … from somewhere? It is "Emberiza Cerrutii" DE FILIPPI ... OD, here.

PS. Full article also attached. Note the name "E. Schah" in the end of the OD of "Cerrutii". I don't think that name is present in the HBW Alive Key!? Or is that maybe just (another) typo, this time of Emberiza shah BONAPARTE?

No. 3:
● "Rallus circoleps" (often quoted to LESSON 1831, which is found here … however it, in its turn, simply refers to "Gallinula circoleps" by TEMMINCK (a bird of which I now nothing).

Also see this text (here) by Walden, and regarding the "identity" of "circoleps", see page 341, here.

No. 4:
● "Oriolus coudougan" TEMMICK 1825 ...

Neither I have seen the OD "1825" however the Nouveau recueil de planches coloriées d'oiseaux : pour servir de suite et de complément aux planches enluminées de Buffon (Edition 1838) in BDL is found here, and the reference to "Loriot Coudougnan” of Levaillant 1808, is found in his Histoire naturelle des Oiseaux d'Afrique, vol. 6, p.53-54 … ( here). References are also made to the Plates 261 (male) and 262 (female), both attached.

Maybe those pages reveal the etymology?

No. 5:
● "Francolinus cruzi" THEMIDO 1937

Still unseen, but this one looks like the item searched for is: THEMIDO, António (1937) Un nouveau "Francolinus" de l'Angola. Comptes rendus du XIIe Congrès International de Zoologie, Lisbonne, 1935. Vol. III, Section IX: Vertébrés. Arquivos do Museu Bocage, 6-A, 1935: 1834-1834. Aves. Angola

No. 6:
● "Columba denisea" TEMMINCK 1830 a k a (in French) "Colombe Denise" ... OD, here.

No. 7:
● the subspecies Zosterops senegalensis gerhardi VAN DEN ELZEN & KÖNIG 1983 (OD, here).
Derivatio nominis: Wir benennen diesen Brillenvogel nach seinem Sammler Herrn Gerhard Nikolaus, der durch seine Aktivitäten einen großen Beitrag zur Kenntnis der Avifauna des Sudan geleistet hat.

No. 8:
grucheti (OD, attached) … also incl. Marscarenotus.

No. 9:
icariotis … is found on p.58 in L'institut. Section 1: Sciences mathématiques, physiques et naturelles, Vol. 6 (here).

No. 10:
jacqueti … OD here.

No. 11:
judith … OD, here.
"Dedicata la presente specie allʼegregia ... GIUDITTA MARCHETTINI in segno di amicizia e di stima."
The same article in the Annali del Reale Museo di Fisica e Storia Naturale di Firenze (Nuova Serie), Volume 1 … also includes:

ceciliae … in "Polytmus (Campylopterus) Cecilae"
Dedicata la presente specie ... CECILIA TURRI.
ridolfii …. in the "Mellisuga (Eriocnemis) Ridolfii"
Dedicata questa specie a S. E. il marchese COSIMO RIDOLFI Direttore del Museo di Fisica e Storia Naturale di Firenze e Senatore del Regno.
The latter not "unseen" in the HBW Alive Key, but might be worth checking a second time!? ;)

No. 12:
libussa
lydia
… are both found in the "Extraheft": Aufzählung der Colibris Oder Trochilideen in ihrer wahren natürlichen Verwandtschaft, nebst Schlüssel ihrer Synonymik (here).

To be continued ...
x

Attachments

• Archivio per la zoologia, l'anatomia e la fisiologia.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 132
  • Le Loriot Coudougnan - female  .jpg
    Le Loriot Coudougnan - female .jpg
    300 KB · Views: 161
  • Le Loriot Coudougnan - male.jpg
    Le Loriot Coudougnan - male.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Mascarenotus (Mourer-Chauvire et al) 1994..pdf
    675.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
continuation

No. 13:
lucieni … “proposons de lui donner le nom d’un jeune Français, collaborateur de MM. le Dr Lucan et Petit”; OD, here (with those exact words, directly followed with "à qui nous devons tant de fait nouveaux intéressant lʼornithologi de la région du Congo.")

No. 14:
mariae… in "T. [Trochilus ] Mariæ") OD, here.

No. 15:
Merva … OD, here.

No. 16:
nigelli a k a "Nigells Pheasant-Grouse"… the Plate is found here (however no text?), not more than the "Directions … " (here).

No. 17:
njikena … in the invalid Aviceda subcristata "njikena" CONDON & AMADON 1953/1954? … OD, here.
"Nijkena is the tribal name of the aborigines inhabiting the area where this bird was collected."

No. 18:
nordmanni …in the subspecies Lamprotornis chalybaeus nordmanni HARTERT & NEUMANN 1914 OD, here as "Lamprocolius sycobius nordmanni"
"Die neue Form ist zur Erinnerung an Dr. Alexander v. Nordmann benannt, der in seinem Atlas zu „Erman's Reise um di Erde“ (1835) den ersten, für damalige Zeit weit vorgeschrittenen Versuch einer Ûbersicht der afrikanischen Glanzstare gab."
= the Finnish (or [being finicky ;) , as Finland was part of Sweden until 1809] Swedish-Finnish) naturalist (zoologist, botanist etc. etc.) explorer and collector professor Alexander von Nordmann (1803–1866).

No. 19:
parimeda … in the subspecies Stipiturus malachurus parimeda SCHODDE & WEATHERLY 1981, OD, here.
"Note — The name parimeda is arbitrarily formed from an anagram of the epithet media and the Greek prefix para, meaning 'beside' or 'close to', and its gender is feminine. It alludes to the geographical and nomenclatural position of emu-wrens on Eyre Peninsula between populations in Western Australia and the Mt Lofty Range which bear respectively the subspecific names media Mathews and intermedius Ashby."
No. 20:
passmori … in the invalid "Cygnus Passmori" HINCKS 1865 (OD, here) [Syn. Cygnus buccinator RICHARDSON 1832]
"Mr. Passmore, taxidermist, of Toronto, who is …"
No. 21:
Pitalla (forgot to note down the link, sorry!):
"El P. Navas dice que por existir el género Pyrrhia (Hb. 1822), atribuido á unos Lepidópteros, propone cambiar el mismo nombre dado por él á un género de Pájaros («Anales de la Facultad de Ciencias de Zaragoza», 1907, p. 127), en el de Pitalla.".
No. 22:
randorum … in the subspecies Merops bullockoides randorum CLANCEY 1953 (OD here).
"Named in honour of Dr. A. L. Rand, Curator of Birds, Chicago Natural History Museum, in recognition of his noteworthy work on African birds and the service he has rendered me in the furtherance of the present study."
= the Canadian ornithologist Dr. Austin Loomer Rand (1905–1982), Curator at Field Museum in Chicago, USA … etc., etc.

To be continued ...
---

Last part!

No. 23:
renata … in the invalid "Apalis flavida renata" LAWSON 1968 (OD, here).

No. 24:
ruahdae OD, here (on p.34).

No. 25:
sabinae a k a "Le C.[Colibri] de Sabine" … is found in Annales des sciences physiques et naturelles, d'agriculture et d'industrie (published by Sociéte Royale d'Agriculture, Histoire Naturelles et Arts Utiles de Lyon), in No. 9, 1846 (here).

No. 26:
salussii ... in "Dacelo Salussii" attributed "GRAY 1869" (?) though note CASSIN 1852 (here), ex "Martin Chasseur de Salusse" HOMBRON & JACQUINOT (here).

Also see links; here and here. I guess (!) the mysterious (Mr.?) "Salusse" is hidden somewhere here.

No. 27:
sammetina … in "Psalidoprocne sammetina" REICHENOW 1910 (OD, here).

No. 28:
Tiltria … as in? I haven´t found the "Tiltria" itself nor the Plate (tafel) … however the Avium systema naturale [Das natürliche system der vögel mit hundert tafeln grösstentheils original-abbildungen der bis jetzt entdecken fast zwölfhundert typischen formen] is found here or here.

Is this quote by any chanse helpful (from "Nomen Vol IV", whatever that is?), attached as pdf (pp.451-500, bottom p.493):
"Tiltoniceras Buckman 1913, Yorks. Type Ammonites, 2, pt. ii, viii.-Moll. Tiltria Reichenbach (185o), Avium Syst. Nat., pl. lviii.-Aves. Tilurella Roule 1911, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, 153, 734 Pisces. Tiluropsis Roule 1911, C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris, 153, 734.-Pisces. Tilurus Koelliker 1853, Verb. Phys. med. Ges. Wiirzburg, 4, loo.-Pisces. Tima Eschscholtz 1829, Syst. Acalephen, 103.-Coel"
No. 29:
tounelieri … in the subspecies Hypotaenidia philippensis tounelieri SCHODDE & NAUROIS 1982 as "Gallirallus philippensis tounelieri" (OD, here, p.131+):
"Accordingly, we treat our series from the Coral Sea as a new subspecies, naming it after a colleague of de Naurois,
Gallirallus philippensis tounelieri, n. subsp
."
No. 30:
veronica
… in the subspecies (Nectarinia) Leptocoma sericea veronica MEES 1965 (OD, here).

No. 31:
vitorum
… in "Malconotus olivaceus vitorum" CLANCEY 1967 (OD, here).

No. 32:
waglerii
… in "D. [Dendrocopus] Waglerii" HARTLAUB 1844 (OD, here).

No. 33:
● "Dyrinia" (p.232), "Elvira" (p.176), "Elviræ" (p.232), "Hectoris" (p.219), "Himelia" (p.203)
All of those "OD's" here [article staring on pp. (149-) 152-236], though not much of any explanations, I fear ...

However; Enjoy!

That´s all, on my part, I´m done (regarding those names). Now it´s all up to James. And you guys out there.

Good luck in solving them all!

Björn

PS. And a last one, even if not "unseen" … but still obscure and unexplained:
leocadiae … OD, here.
"Cette espèce a de lʼanalogie avec le. T. Constantii, DELATTRE."
In analogy with what? Maybe worth a second thought?

PPS. And James, sorry for the work-load! ;)
X

Attachments

• Nomen Vol IV, pp. 451-500.pdf
    816.3 KB · Views: 699
Last edited:
Calalp said:
And a last one, even if not "unseen" … but still obscure and unexplained:
leocadiae … OD, here.In analogy with what? Maybe worth a second thought?

In analogy with Trochilus constantii. No dedication given.

Trochilus constantii, the bane of my existence a bird described by Delattre in Echo du Monde Savant in 1843 not available online that I know. Who is Constant? No. 1 Apalis catiodes the author makes a mistake?
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/101591#page/82/mode/1up .
As for the meaning of catoides?? I did see a spider whose web looked like bird poop had been in the genus Ornitho-scatoides. Bird poop like. So catatonic like or catalogue like or kitten like??

coudougan ... a Phononym

O. coudougan, Le Vaillant on page 54 says this bird sings the syllables coudougan.
And it does! If you listen to the "Oriolus coudougan" [easier made by its synonym; Oriolus larvatus] on xeno-canto (here) you can interpret the call as: Cou-dou-gan!

At least the first recording (and some of the other) in the list ...

I guess it was that call Levaillant heard!
x

Last edited:
Amendment/correction

No. 17:
njikena

The quote sholuld (as anyone following the link must have noted) be:
"Njikena is the tribal name of the aborigines inhabiting the area where this bird was collected."
Exactly like the scientific name. Of course.

Sorry for the confusion.

A simple typo on my behalf.

I think jacqueti is dedicated to Hermann Jacquet who was Abteiungsvorstand am Senckenbergischen Museum zu Frankfurt a.M. (=departemential chairman at Naturmuseum Senckenberg in Frankfurt). He sent specimen to compare to Munich (which we can read in my link. There is as well the connection to Hellmayr). If this guy was in Caracas as mention in HBW Alive I do not know. He died 1923 as I found:

Als Sektionär der Vogelsammlung von 1914-1923 muß Hermann Jacquet genannt werden, der auch die Übernahme der Berlepsch-Sammlung durchführte und sie z. T. neu aufstellte. In ehrenamtlicher Stellung war er, unabhängig und wohlhabend, auch bei der Beschaffung hessischer Belegstücke bis zu seinem Tode am 26. Aug. 1923 für das Museum tätig.

Last edited:
For sur Jacquet was in Egypt and maybe in Sudan to collect. As I found in Die Vögel am Nil: von seiner Mündung bis in das Gebiet seiner Quellflüsse (Weisser Nil) auf Grund eigener Reisen und Beobachtungen in Wort und Bild dargestellt from Alexander Ferdinand Koenig:

Den ersten sicheren Nachweis vom Vorkommen des Raubadlers im Pharaonenland erbrachte mir ein Stück, welches mir gelegentlich unseres kurzen Aufenthaltes in Asssam, vor Antritt unserer ersten Sudanreise im Jahr 1910 zu Händen kam. Herr Hermann Jacquet aus Frankfurt a. M. hatte das Glück, ein schönes adultes Exemplar am 3. II. 1910 in der Wüste östlich von Assuan zu schießen, welches er mir frisch im Fleisch zu dedizieren die Güte hatte. Ich bin dem Herrn Jacquet zu um...

So Jacquet shot a Tawny eagle (Aquila rapax) in Assam in Feb. 1910. Not sure if he collected in South America as well.

No. 5:
● "Francolinus cruzi" THEMIDO 1937.
Named for Teodoro Jose Cruz, his bird collections are stored in Museu de Historia Natural-Museu
Zoologico, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia
da Universidade de Coimbra, Largo Marques
de Pombal, 3000 Coimbra, Portugal . Themido published a catalogue of this museum's bird collection in the 1930s.
http://www.birdsangola.org/download...4, 175-80 (Swierstra's Francolin, Angola).pdf .
http://collections.si.edu/search/results.htm?q=record_ID:siris_sil_419485 .

Last edited:
I believe they are one in the same since it is Coimbra University in both. My first link states Teodoro Cruz collected the francolin.

"No. 16:
● nigelli a k a "Nigells Pheasant-Grouse"… the Plate is found here (however no text?), not more than the "Directions … " (here)."
Lophophorus Nigelli of Jardine & Selby pl. 76 (1829?) so called in honour of Dr. Macneil lately physician to the English embassy at the Persian court and now our resident at Bushire (Iran?) The species ... was first transmitted to Europe by that gentleman.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/72751#page/84/mode/1up .
Mr. Jobling covers this name. How do you get nigellii from Macneil (son of Niall?)

Last edited:
No. 16:
nigelli vs nigellii
How do you get nigellii from Macneil (son of Niall?)

Like you wrote:"Mr. Jobling covers this name" ...

Compare the two entries, (and the synonyms) in the HBW Alive Key. Explained there.

Note that "Nigells Pheasant-Grouse"… is called nigellii ("Nigellii") in my links.
x

Last edited:
No. 8

Etymologie: cette espèce est dédiée à M. Harry Gruchet, ancien conservateur du Muséum d'Histoire naturelle de Saint-Denis, qui s'est toujours intéressé à la faune disparue de l'île et a eu l'idée, avec M. Philippe Kaufmant, de rechercher des restes fossiles dans le marais de l'Ermitage.
written on page 1705 of the OD.

No. 1:
● "Apalis catiodes" REICHENOW 1908 … OD, here.
Hypothetically:
ἰός (ios) = rust.
With a "κατα-" (kata-) prefix (indicates a downwards move or evolution; here a degradation):
κατιόομαι (katioomai) = to become rusty (in Perseus only as a passive verb; elsewhere, I also find the active κατιόω (katioô) = to cover with rust).
+ -ώδης (-ôdês) = full of, -like: "looking like it is covered with rust"...?
The OD says "Underseite rustgelbbraun"; [Opus with a picture].
No. 6:
● "Columba denisea" TEMMINCK 1830 a k a (in French) "Colombe Denise" ... OD, here.
Not explained, somewhat intriguing word, I feel: could certainly be an eponym, but looks neither like a genitive, nor like a classical latinization of the female name Denise; with an -ea ending, rather adjective-like (the "Deniseous" dove), but the adjectival suffix -eus, -ea, -eum is somewhat unusual in association with a personal name.
I can only note that the name "Denise" originally means "dedicated to Dyonisos", and that the bird is decidedly wine-coloured...?
No. 8:
grucheti (OD, attached) … also incl. Marscarenotus.
(See text quoted by Martin above.)
Harry Gruchet died on Monday 28 January 2013 (if I understand the obituary [here] correctly). He was born in 1931 according to [this] Wikipedia page.
No. 9:
icariotis … is found on p.58 in L'institut. Section 1: Sciences mathématiques, physiques et naturelles, Vol. 6 (here).
Īcărĭōtis, ĭdis, f., = "Ἰκαριωτίς, the daughter of Icarus, i. e. Penelope."
Cf., presumably, Anas penelope...? The name is a nomen nudum there, there is no way to know what it applied to (but this would have to be Californian; American Wigeon?); it apparently was never published again.
No. 21:
Pitalla (forgot to note down the link, sorry!):
The forgotten link, for what it's worth: [OD], but it explains nothing, I'm afraid.
Pitalla Navas, 1910 is a replacement name for Pyrrhia Navas, 1907 [OD] nec Hübner, 1821 [OD]. Pyrrhia Navas itself was a replacement name for "Pyrrhula Pallas", deemed invalid as a generic name because it was initially proposed as a specific name ([OD by Pallas]; but name now taken from the Tabula synoptica in the non-binominal and non-binary work of Brisson 1760 "[OD]" [see also [here]], where protected by Dir. 105 if deemed generic [albeit whether anything in Brisson is intended as a generic name is highly questionable, IMHO; in practice, "Pyrrhula Brisson" is a species, around which he built his genus #37]).
No. 22:
randorum … in the subspecies Merops bullockoides randorum CLANCEY 1953 (OD here). = the Canadian ornithologist Dr. Austin Loomer Rand (1905–1982), Curator at Field Museum in Chicago, USA … etc., etc.
Some would probably want to correct this to randi.
No. 23:
renata … in the invalid "Apalis flavida renata" LAWSON 1968 (OD, here).
No explanation. Conceivably an eponym, but also identical to a Latin word (feminine past participle of renascor = to be born again [also possibly past participle of reno = to swim back, but this verb rare, perhaps always intransitive, and I just can't imagine how this meaning could make any sense in a bird name]). For Code purposes, would probably have to be considered the Latin word (ie., would have to be treated as variable).
No. 31:
vitorum
… in "Malconotus olivaceus vitorum" CLANCEY 1967 (OD, here).
"The name chosen is descriptive of this species’ proclivity for secreting itself in vine tangles in the forest canopy."
Given this comment, obviously formed from vitis = a vine, albeit incorrectly, it seems. (In Latin, "vitorum" is the genitive plural of vitor, a basket-maker [thus: "of the basket-makers"]. The gen. pl. of vitis ["of the vines"] would be vitium. See also the inappropriate genitive introduced by the same author [#22 above].)

Last edited:
"Īcărĭōtis, ĭdis, f., = Ἰκαριωτίς, the daughter of Icarus, i. e. Penelope.
Cf., presumably, Anas penelope...? The name is a nomen nudum there, there is no way to know what it applied to (but this would have to be Californian; American Wigeon?); it apparently was never published again." Collected by F. Deppe in Monterey, Laurent you have discovered the first record of Eurasian Wigeon for California! They are rare but regular in Monterey today.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back