BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   UK Rarity Gallery (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=705)
-   -   Paddyfield Pipit - Sennen, Cornwall - 03.11.19 (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=383134)

Paul Chapman Sunday 3rd November 2019 21:53

Paddyfield Pipit - Sennen, Cornwall - 03.11.19

5 Attachment(s)
Fifteen pictures of the Paddyfield Pipit at Sennen, Cornwall from 3rd November 2019. The bird has been identified by sonogram from its apparently diagnostic call albeit DNA confirmation is also being sought. Before the significance of the sonogram had been realised, the identification as Richard's Pipit had already being disputed.

The species is largely sedentary. The previous nearest records are from the UAE. As a result, it seems pretty irrefutable that the bird will not be a genuine unassisted vagrant and the likely possibilities are either a deliberate import and subsequent escape or a bird that has received an inadvertent assisted passage.

The condition of the bird is poor with apparent arrested moult in the wings and tail with two ages of primaries and tail feathers in particular being very obvious. It has been suggested that this suggests trauma thereby supporting either the escape or assisted passage theories.

The hindclaw is significantly shorter than Richard's Pipit. One observer suggested to me that its hindclaws are of unequal length but from my pictures, I am unsure about that.

All the best

Paul

Paul Chapman Sunday 3rd November 2019 21:55

5 Attachment(s)
A further set of pictures. The fourth shows the left hindclaw and the fifths shows the right hindclaw.

All the best

Paul

Paul Chapman Sunday 3rd November 2019 21:57

5 Attachment(s)
Finally, a set of photos showing the different ages of the feathers.

All the best

Paul

dantheman Sunday 3rd November 2019 22:04

Nice pics (of a cracking bird ;) ).

You didn't happen to take them between around 3:00 - 3:30 this afternoon by any chance? (The two guys next to me were trying to confirm hind claw length at that time and just before it flew around the corner ... )

Paul Chapman Sunday 3rd November 2019 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3915099)
Nice pics (of a cracking bird ;) ).

You didn't happen to take them between around 3:00 - 3:30 this afternoon by any chance? (The two guys next to me were trying to confirm hind claw length at that time and just before it flew around the corner ... )

Many thanks. Indeed..... 3:-)

No. Pics were from this morning. For me, it has excessive wear at the bill base giving it a snouty look. The hindclaws were mentioned to me this morning by an observer who got that impression yesterday.

All the best

dantheman Sunday 3rd November 2019 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Chapman (Post 3915106)
Many thanks. Indeed..... 3:-)

No. Pics were from this morning. For me, it has excessive wear at the bill base giving it a snouty look. The hindclaws were mentioned to me this morning by an observer who got that impression yesterday.

Some of them really are nice pics ;-)

It certainly is/has been going through something.

Cliff1002 Monday 4th November 2019 11:02

Hi Dan, I also heard that conversation, I do have one photo showing the hind toes being the same length.

Cliff1002 Monday 4th November 2019 11:12

1 Attachment(s)
Hind Claw photo

tom tams Tuesday 12th November 2019 21:12

1 Attachment(s)
Collage of the claws

dantheman Wednesday 13th November 2019 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff1002 (Post 3915250)
Hi Dan, I also heard that conversation, I do have one photo showing the hind toes being the same length.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom tams (Post 3918718)
Collage of the claws

Ha, unless it was a really popular conversation on the day, almost met.

Claws, feet; nothing wrong there, no?

Paul Chapman Monday 25th November 2019 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantheman (Post 3918862)
Ha, unless it was a really popular conversation on the day, almost met.

Claws, feet; nothing wrong there, no?

Just noticed this post. Yes. Nothing wrong there from a damage etc perspective. I am presuming the DNA does not confirm the sonogram analysis though from the prolonged silence.

All the best

dantheman Monday 25th November 2019 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Chapman (Post 3924073)
Just noticed this post. Yes. Nothing wrong there from a damage etc perspective. I am presuming the DNA does not confirm the sonogram analysis though from the prolonged silence.

I was wondering if it hadn't worked - I recall something about it only has a c75% chance of containing the birds own dna in faecal samples in traceable amounts???

Phil Andrews Monday 25th November 2019 07:38

James Hanlon posted on Twitter yesterday that the sample had drawn a blank in terms of identifying any DNA material and that a second sample was now being progressed.

Paul Chapman Monday 25th November 2019 12:23

Thanks both - noted. It would be a shame not to have a DNA result to throw into the mix.

All the best