• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Ulaan Baator area - Mongolia (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

Hi

I will have a full day to do some birding in/around Ulaan Baator.
I won't have time to go to Terelj.

From reading trip reports and some blog I found several areas that might interesting for birding:

1. Mongolica Hotel and surroundings - this appears to be the best spot for a decent variety of species
2. Songino area : is this the same as Mongolica Hotel? It appears so. Or is this the actual mountain?
3. Airport pools : where is this? I can't find them on Google Earth.
4. Bhogd Khan : there appear to be a number of entry roads south of UB. Which area are recommended? Or is there no point going there in August? Too quiet maybe.
5. Sewage Treatment Plant. Where is this exactly and is it still worth going there?
6. Tuul River - Which stretch is usually the best?

7. Zuun Mod / Manzushir Monastery: worth visiting for birds? is the monastery area open to the public?

Of are there other sites worth visiting? I get the impression that city parks are not (or no longer) very rewarding for birding. What about Amgalan botanical garden? Nobody seems to go there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind regards,

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back