• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More from the D3 (1 Viewer)

Neil

We've had bad weather here for a couple of weeks ( not as bad as China though) so I've just been walking around with the D3 plus Nikon 300/f4 AFS and the Nikon 1.4x. I have iso 800 set as my default usually but yesterday I had it set at iso1600 for most of the day. These were taken hand held with no VR and is was able to get 1/2000 at f8 most of the time. I have 21 focus points selected and Continuous Mode/Focus only. I switch between FX and DX mode.
I'm still very impressed with this camera .
Neil

Nikon D3 plus Nikon 300/f4 AFS plus Nikon 1.4x teleconverter

Hong Kong Wetland Park,
Hong Kong,
China.
January 2008
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/

Attachments

• chinese bulbul.berry_DSC3094.jpg
    chinese bulbul.berry_DSC3094.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 86
  • daurian redstart.fem.D3.iso1600_DSC2573.jpg
    daurian redstart.fem.D3.iso1600_DSC2573.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 101
  • little egret.land_DSC2715.jpg
    little egret.land_DSC2715.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 110
  • intermediate egret.flight_DSC2909.jpg
    intermediate egret.flight_DSC2909.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 91
  • greenshank.grey heron.adj_DSC2807.jpg
    greenshank.grey heron.adj_DSC2807.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 88
I'd have thought with a DX lens you's still get the x factor as the CCD would be cropped, is this not the case?
btw was sent a couple of piccies from a friend yesterday who is a pro sports photographer of some pictures of a Championship match taken at 2500iso absolutely superb, a little noticeable noise but more than adequate for the papers.........
I want one.......

You loose the 1.5x sensor Crop of the previous Nikon cameras but you still have the 5 meg in-camera Crop. Although you can do this in the computer you get the advantage of faster frame rate and save memory. I'm finding that my images are much sharper out of the camera than with the D2x so will take a bigger crop in either FX or DX Mode. It may be that for my shooting style this is the right total magnification for me without having the benefit of VR on my 300 mm lens.
I have used the iso 3200 setting several times which give me images that I couldn't get otherwise and the noise doesn't bother me as it's similar to the iso 800 on the D2x.
I'll be down in Sydney next week and I hope to get much better light for seeing the best out of this camera at lower iso.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back