BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Wednesday 27th February 2013 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2671496)
tonights report 4 of us till dark .First clear evening with sunset
arrived 5pm Raven chased off Buzzard over far field,c80 jackdaws flew away from WW,c100 pied wagtails roosted in south end of reed bed, at 5.45 they all flew up spooked by something not returning for some time,just before that around the same area a snipe flew.water rails called as usual.left at 6.15pm no sign of bitten during this time:-C

Hi Tim the Bittern was reported again this evening per 'Birding Today' (no time or observer details though). Maybe it was early again?:t:

Woodchat Thursday 28th February 2013 21:29

I recorded 61 species in February for the patch (Coney Meadow, Droitwich Community Woods and the Salwarpe Valley between Droitwich and Porter's Mill):

1 Mute Swan 21 Collared Dove 41 Blue Tit
2 Canada Goose 22 Green Woodpecker 42 LT Tit
3 Mallard 23 Grt Spt Woodpecker 43 Nuthatch
4 Pheasant 24 Kingfisher 44 Treecreeper
5 Cormorant 25 Skylark 45 Magpie
6 Bittern 26 Meadow Pipit 46 Jay
7 Grey Heron 27 Grey Wagtail 47 Jackdaw
8 Common Buzzard 28 Pied Wagtail 48 Rook
9 Sparrowhawk 29 Dunnock 49 Carrion Crow
10 Kestrel 30 Robin 50 Raven
11 Water Rail 31 Song Thrush 51 Starling
12 Moorhen 32 Fieldfare 52 Hse Sparrow
13 Coot 33 Redwing 53 Chaffinch
14 Common Snipe 34 Mistle Thrush 54 Linnet
15 Green Sandpiper 35 Blackbird 55 Lsser Redpoll
16 Black-headed Gull 36 Blackcap 56 Goldfinch
17 Herring Gull 37 Goldcrest 57 Greenfinch
18 L BB Gull 38 Wren 58 Siskin
19 Stock Dove 39 Great Tit 59 Bullfinch
20 Wood Pigeon 40 Coal Tit 60 Reed Bunting
61 Yellowhammer

Phil Andrews Thursday 28th February 2013 21:33

Greater Coney? ;)

Woodchat Thursday 28th February 2013 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2672182)
Greater Coney? ;)

Coney + adjoining areas - as per thread title;):t:

Phil Andrews Thursday 28th February 2013 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2672187)
Coney + adjoining areas - as per thread title;):t:

Was just playing into Mr Stretch's hands! 8-P

Woodchat Thursday 28th February 2013 21:58

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2672193)
Was just playing into Mr Stretch's hands! 8-P

No prob, mate - have a good holiday in the Canaries. B (:

I probably should define the boundaries of 'the patch' though - map below:

It looks like a big area but it is pretty easy to walk around it in a couple of hours. :t:

keithr Thursday 28th February 2013 22:23

Thanks for the map - love all the watery habitats.
Who does the land belong to - we won't be "chased" off will we ;)

Keith

Brian Stretch Friday 1st March 2013 07:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2672193)
Was just playing into Mr Stretch's hands! 8-P

ha ha!

'Greater' Grimley has spread further and now encompasses Coney Meadow, Westwood and I've got my eye on those Malvern Hills too - should boost the year list somewhat :t:

Brian

Phil Andrews Friday 1st March 2013 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Stretch (Post 2672331)
ha ha!

'Greater' Grimley has spread further and now encompasses Coney Meadow, Westwood and I've got my eye on those Malvern Hills too - should boost the year list somewhat!

Brian

You sound like a German chap with a 'tache - next stop Poland? ;)

Brian Stretch Friday 1st March 2013 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2672333)
You sound like a German chap with a 'tache - next stop Poland? ;)

Anything to help the year list along ;)

Brian

Brian Stretch Friday 1st March 2013 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2672209)
No prob, mate - have a good holiday in the Canaries. B (:

I probably should define the boundaries of 'the patch' though - map below:

It looks like a big area but it is pretty easy to walk around it in a couple of hours. :t:

Thanks for posting that map Dave. Almost provides a link between the Grimley recording area and Westwood Pool. Be interesting to see if there is any interchange of birds between the sites as the spring progresses.

Brian

Woodchat Friday 1st March 2013 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithr (Post 2672230)
Thanks for the map - love all the watery habitats.
Who does the land belong to - we won't be "chased" off will we ;)

Keith

Hi Keith,

The canal, river and the low-lying fields provide a good 'wildlife corridor' - as Brian has hinted - there could effectively be a flyway along the valley linking Grimley with Westwood and even Upton Warren.

I have walked to Hawford from Droitwich (i.e. my house) a couple of times and even to Grimley (via the Bevere locks) at least once - it's not that far - at a reasonable pace you could easily walk it in less than two hours. A really nice selection of habitats along the way. I tend to concentrate mainly on the Droitwich end, however.

As for being 'chased off' - I would recommend sticking to footpaths and bridleways where possible (there are plenty of them) plus the canal towpath and Coney Meadow is open access (apart from the fenced area - clearly signed). If you do want to walk some of the fields, please ask permission from the farmer beforehand. Cheers. :t:

Sy V Friday 1st March 2013 11:35

1 Attachment(s)
I've taken the liberty of including an OS map showing paths etc...

Woodchat Saturday 2nd March 2013 17:12

Bittern again flew over reeds left of screen at 12 minutes past 6

Woodchat Sunday 3rd March 2013 18:08

The Bittern flew out at 18:16 this evening - directly in front of the viewing screen - and then landed in the top of the reeds where it perched and was in view for a couple of minutes.

Also recorded this weekend were Canada Geese, Grey Heron, 2 Coot, a couple of Snipe, Stock Doves, Kingfisher, Meadow Pipits, Linnets, Grey Wagtails, Nuthatch, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Lesser Redpolls, Siskins, Fieldfares, Redwings and 2 Ravens.

The Pied Wagtail roost contained 80 - 100 birds.

upstarts1979 Sunday 3rd March 2013 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2674282)
The Bittern flew out at 18:16 this evening - directly in front of the viewing screen - and then landed in the top of the reeds where it perched and was in view for a couple of minutes.

Also recorded this weekend were Canada Geese, Grey Heron, 2 Coot, a couple of Snipe, Stock Doves, Kingfisher, Meadow Pipits, Linnets, Grey Wagtails, Nuthatch, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers, Lesser Redpolls, Siskins, Fieldfares, Redwings and 2 Ravens.

The Pied Wagtail roost contained 80 - 100 birds.

A good few birds seen after the work party ther Dave.
We left at 6pm and the upton bittern hadn't shown. I suppose they will be leaving soon. B (:

Woodchat Monday 4th March 2013 17:51

Andy Warr and Tim Owens watched a Barn Owl hunt over the meadow this evening. By the time I got there it had gone - will give it a go tomorrow evening.

Sy V Monday 4th March 2013 19:16

Oh fantastic Dave. A glorious sight I'll bet.

Birder Gladys Monday 4th March 2013 19:36

Barn Owl was something special tonight,it flew full length of the reeds first right to left then back along reeds edge in front screen ,alot more noise in the reeds too,ducks,coots,water rail ,reed bunting and snipe saw 4 flying too,female sparrowhawk had a go at pied wags,16 redwings,hopfully bitten tomorrow

Duck_Pond Tuesday 5th March 2013 13:12

Was it still light enough for pics when you saw the barnie?

Woodchat Tuesday 5th March 2013 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond (Post 2675567)
Was it still light enough for pics when you saw the barnie?

Pete,

Approximately 18:25 last night when I received the call - it must've been showing a few minutes before then but getting a bit dusky I'm guessing.

Woodchat Tuesday 5th March 2013 17:37

The Bittern showed at about 6:20 pm and the Barn Owl came out ten minutes later - hunting at the back of the reedbed. Barn Owl is a patch tick for me. Thanks to Tim, Andy and Mary.:t:

Duck_Pond Tuesday 5th March 2013 21:33

Thanks - be nice if it hangs around for the light to be available.

Birder Gladys Wednesday 6th March 2013 18:59

tonights report, 8 keen birders (is this a record for coney?)
quite night, cloudy,18.02 bitten flew in front of screen,we then moved down to the Droitwich end of the reed bed 18.20 Barn Owl flew in same direction as last night but this time turning and flying back over the reeds finally going out of sight by the screen quiet sure you would of seen it stood anywhere on higher ground at coney

Bitten now into it 17th day
Barn Owl 3rd night

albional Thursday 7th March 2013 18:31

Barney and Bittern
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2676584)
tonights report, 8 keen birders (is this a record for coney?)
quite night, cloudy,18.02 bitten flew in front of screen,we then moved down to the Droitwich end of the reed bed 18.20 Barn Owl flew in same direction as last night but this time turning and flying back over the reeds finally going out of sight by the screen quiet sure you would of seen it stood anywhere on higher ground at coney

Bitten now into it 17th day
Barn Owl 3rd night

Thanks for the 'hospitality' you showed to me and the missus last night , always helpful to have local knowledge to hand .

Good to see a Barn Owl, first one for I don't know how long and the wife's first Bittern.

Regards


All times are GMT. The time now is 17:07.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2018