BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Saturday 28th July 2012 17:56

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2500010)
went for a quick stroll Thursday about 6pm all very quite at that time,just one photo more bird watching.;)

I must've just missed you on Thursday. Things can seem quiet at this time of year but dusk-time is still worth the effort. A Hobby was perched in the Oak tree opposite the screen that evening (the tree pictured in your photo). My own (very poor) photo shows a silhouette of the Hobby taken on Thursday evening. :t:

Woodchat Saturday 28th July 2012 18:13

5 Attachment(s)
An adult Spotted Flycatcher showed well by the churchyard this morning. The woodland area between the gate and the towpath has been very reliable for this species of late and a bit of patience scanning in this area seems to repay the effort. This afternoon, it was in the same area with a fairly well-grown juvenile. One was also seen along the canal at one point. Also seen today were Goldcrest, 2 Ravens, Buzzards, juvenile Willow Warbler, Blackcaps, male Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher. Butterflies included Holly Blue, 4 Marbled Whites, Green-veined White, loads of Gatekeepers, 3 Speckled Woods, Small Whites, Meadow Browns, Ringlets and Commas. Essex Skippers are now outnumbering Small Skippers by about 2 to 1, with at least a dozen of the former seen. Other insects included Cinnabar Moth, Six-spot Burnet Moth, Common Darter, Brown Hawker, Southern Hawker and Banded Demoiselle.

Photos below: Green-veined White, Pyramidal Orchid (past its best), Enchanter's Nightshade, Small Teasel and Musk Mallow.

Woodchat Sunday 29th July 2012 08:30

Two Garden Warblers together this morning in trees and bushes along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood were patch year-ticks. Lots of other Warblers along there too.

Two Willow Warblers in hedges around Coney Meadow plus juvenile Sedge Warbler (+ 2 adults). Also seen this morning:

300 Swallows, Sand Martins, 3 Ravens, 2+ Spotted Flycatchers, 4 Goldcrests, 2 Nuthatches, Buzzard, Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush and 2 Grey Wagtails.

Woodchat Monday 30th July 2012 21:14

A Hobby showed very well again this evening at dusk. The hirundine roost numbered about 300 - mainly Swallows and a few Sand Martins. Earlier, a Spotted Flycatcher again by the church, 2 Linnets, Green Woodpecker, GS Woodpecker and a Grey Heron.

Also, 2 Essex Skippers, 1 Marbled White, Brown Hawkers and a Southern Hawker dragonflies plus Noctule and Pipistrelle bats.

Birder Gladys Tuesday 31st July 2012 22:03

tuesday stroll for Gladys and I,this time I took my bins but battery run out in camera! anyway 2 G S woodpeckers along river salwarpe and a green woody by meadow gate,Gladys found a trail of wood ants and a small turquoise grasshopper in meadow (just when you need a camera).the grey Herion was in same spot too.To much going on in woods to get anything else ,seemed to be a larger number gold finches along canal?

Woodchat Sunday 5th August 2012 06:28

A CROSSBILL just flew roughly due south over Salwarpe village calling! That's a patch tick for me.

Phil Andrews Sunday 5th August 2012 06:39

Nice one Dave - did you get enough on it to confirm as a male or female?

Woodchat Sunday 5th August 2012 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2506066)
Nice one Dave - did you get enough on it to confirm as a male or female?

Female or juvenile type. Not a red one.

upstarts1979 Sunday 5th August 2012 08:38

Nice 1 Dave, I will be checking the spruces at Upton today.:t:

Woodchat Sunday 5th August 2012 20:42

3 Attachment(s)
Persistent rain curtailed my evening watch - nonetheless, 300+ Swallows had gathered by the time I left. A dozen Swifts over nearby fields also.

A round up of the highlights from this weekend as follows:

Crossbill, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 4+ Willow Warblers (inc 2 juvs), 4 Bullfinch (inc. 1 juv), 2 Spotted Flycatchers, 3+ Goldcrests, Treecreeper, 5 Common Whitethroats, singing Mistle Thrush, 5+ Linnets, 4 Sedge Warblers, 2 Ravens, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Cormorant, Grey Heron, 3+ Buzzards, many Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Reed Warblers.

Insects were generally quite scarce but included Holly Blue, Comma, Gatekeepers, Skippers, Green-veined and Large Whites plus 2 Southern Hawkers, Common Darter and several Blue-tailed Damselflies.

A Fox was on the prowl along the canal this evening.

Flowering plant photos below: Red Bartsia, Water Figwort and Traveller's Joy.

upstarts1979 Sunday 5th August 2012 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2506551)
Persistent rain curtailed my evening watch - nonetheless, 300+ Swallows had gathered by the time I left. A dozen Swifts over nearby fields also.

A round up of the highlights from this weekend as follows:

Crossbill, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 4+ Willow Warblers (inc 2 juvs), 4 Bullfinch (inc. 1 juv), 2 Spotted Flycatchers, 3+ Goldcrests, Treecreeper, 5 Common Whitethroats, singing Mistle Thrush, 5+ Linnets, 4 Sedge Warblers, 2 Ravens, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Grey Wagtail, Kingfisher, Cormorant, Grey Heron, 3+ Buzzards, many Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs and Reed Warblers.

Insects were generally quite scarce but included Holly Blue, Comma, Gatekeepers, Skippers, Green-veined and Large Whites plus 2 Southern Hawkers, Common Darter and several Blue-tailed Damselflies.

A Fox was on the prowl along the canal this evening.

Flowering plant photos below: Red Bartsia, Water Figwort and Traveller's Joy.

A great list Dave, including 9 species that I didn't see at Upton today

Woodchat Monday 6th August 2012 21:08

A Little Owl called in the distance at dusk.

The Swallow roost continues to increase - probably pushing 500 this evening plus a few Sand Martins. A Hobby made a couple of unsuccessful attempts to snatch one.

Otherwise very quiet - a juvenile Willow Warbler, 2 Treecreepers, Chiffchaff, Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings, Goldfinches, 2 Ravens and a Common Buzzard.

Birder Gladys Wednesday 8th August 2012 21:14

3 Attachment(s)
Had a brillant evening Badgerwatching ,gladys found it not easy in the dust to take photos so we just watched them playing for an hour.

Woodchat Wednesday 8th August 2012 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2509378)
Had a brillant evening Badgerwatching ,gladys found it not easy in the dust to take photos so we just watched them playing for an hour.

Fantastic shots - well done Gladys! It's a cracking spot for them. :t:

Woodchat Thursday 9th August 2012 21:23

A Spotted Flycatcher showed well this evening by the canal, east of Salwarpe Village. A Willow Warbler was on the west side.

Also 2 Ravens, 2 Buzzards, 15 House Martins, 300+ Swallows and a few Sand Martins.

Birder Gladys Thursday 9th August 2012 21:30

2 Attachment(s)
tonights badgerwatch at same place,but Gladys mom is sure she saw one 50metres up on the same side where we met tonight dave.by one of the wooden post.4 badgers seen again

Woodchat Thursday 9th August 2012 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2510201)
tonights badgerwatch at same place,but Gladys mom is sure she saw one 50metres up on the same side where we met tonight dave.by one of the wooden post.4 badgers seen again

There is a second sett on the towpath side of the canal near there - I'll show you next time I see you down there if you like.

One evening I was just resting by that sett (leaning on a fence) when two very small Badger cubs came out and started scrapping with each other right in front of me - seemingly oblivious! Then their mother appeared out of the sett and started dragging a load of vegetation (presumably bedding material) out of one of the holes. It's brilliant when you find yourself immersed in their world. :t:

Woodchat Sunday 12th August 2012 11:43

3 Attachment(s)
Lots of passerine activity this morning. Scanning the bushes in the sloping pasture north of the meadow (pictured below) initially produced a female-type Common Redstart. Then out popped a cracking male Redstart and they both continued to show for about 10 minutes before disappearing. This area shows a lot of promise and could turn up a real goody during the autumn.

Along the canal between Salwarpe and Ladywood there were 3 Lesser Whitethroats and a Garden Warbler.

Good-sized flocks of Goldfinches, Linnets and Greenfinches were present, especially in the newly-harvested fields between Droitwich and Salwarpe.

Also present today: 8+ Willow Warblers, 6+ Goldcrests, 2 Grey Wagtails, 4 Common Whitethroats, 3 Sedge Warblers, Bullfinches, Treecreepers, Kingfisher, 3 Cormorants over, Grey Heron, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings, Buzzards, Nuthatch, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers.

Yesterday, a Spotted Flycatcher was by the weir and a pair of Kestrels was a welcome sight as they've been scarce lately.

Insects seen this weekend include both Ruddy Darter and Common Darter (record shots of both below), Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker, Common Blue Damselfly, Banded Demoiselle, Green-veined White, Small White, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and a few Skippers. The meadow is currently buzzing with Grasshoppers and the odd Bush Cricket.

Woodchat Sunday 12th August 2012 20:41

Two Water Rails calling from the reedbed this evening. Two Ravens came in to their roosting tree and the hirundine flock gathered - mainly Swallows but with increasing amounts of Sand Martins (~500 birds in total). Seven Swifts over.

Woodchat Tuesday 14th August 2012 12:47

Roesel's Bush Cricket??
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just looking through some of my photos taken this year in Coney Meadow. I previously thought this one was just a Grasshopper sp. However, looking at it more closely, I'm beginning to think it might be a Roesel's Bush Cricket. This species is a recent colonist in Worcestershire so it would be good to confirm it. If it is one, then there are loads (and I mean loads!) of them in the meadow and the description of its song sounds right also - like a buzzing electricity pylon.

However, I'm new to Orthoptera so it would be great if someone out there could confirm my suspicions or put me right. I realise the photo isn't great so I'll try and get a better one at some point.

Cheers.:t:

UW82 Tuesday 14th August 2012 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2513967)
Just looking through some of my photos taken this year in Coney Meadow. I previously thought this one was just a Grasshopper sp. However, looking at it more closely, I'm beginning to think it might be a Roesel's Bush Cricket. This species is a recent colonist in Worcestershire so it would be good to confirm it. If it is one, then there are loads (and I mean loads!) of them in the meadow and the description of its song sounds right also - like a buzzing electricity pylon.

However, I'm new to Orthoptera so it would be great if someone out there could confirm my suspicions or put me right. I realise the photo isn't great so I'll try and get a better one at some point.

Cheers.:t:

It certainly looks like one Dave. They were discovered in large numbers in Worcestershire in 2007, formerly being a coastal species. A chap called Gary Farmer is the expert at the Worcestershire Biological Records Committee based at Smite Farm. I have sent him a record within the last week of one of the cone-heads I photographed not far from home and would be new to the 10km square.


Des.

Woodchat Tuesday 14th August 2012 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2514051)
It certainly looks like one Dave. They were discovered in large numbers in Worcestershire in 2007, formerly being a coastal species. A chap called Gary Farmer is the expert at the Worcestershire Biological Records Committee based at Smite Farm. I have sent him a record within the last week of one of the cone-heads I photographed not far from home and would be new to the 10km square.


Des.

Cheers Des, I'll be looking out for Coneheads too as I understand they're often found in similar habitats. Do you think it's worth me sending the records to WBRC? I have noted the exact grid ref at home if that helps. :t:

UW82 Tuesday 14th August 2012 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2514065)
Cheers Des, I'll be looking out for Coneheads too as I understand they're often found in similar habitats. Do you think it's worth me sending the records to WBRC? I have noted the exact grid ref at home if that helps. :t:

WBRC will be happy to have your records. Of course the square you found the cricket in could already have records, but you will not know until you contact WBRC.


Des.

UW82 Tuesday 14th August 2012 18:37

Dave, I've had a look at the NBN Gateway website which has current data sets for fauna and flora, and the square including Coney Meadows, SO86, does not have your bush cricket recorded in it. Virtually every other square in central and southern VC 37 does! Obviously my information would need confirmation.



Des.

Woodchat Tuesday 14th August 2012 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2514301)
Dave, I've had a look at the NBN Gateway website which has current data sets for fauna and flora, and the square including Coney Meadows, SO86, does not have your bush cricket recorded in it. Virtually every other square in central and southern VC 37 does! Obviously my information would need confirmation.



Des.

Nice one - Cheers for the info, Des. According to my phone app, the exact grid ref where I photographed it is SO878623 - supposedly accurate to 8 metres.

Please could you e-mail or PM me Gary Farmer's e-mail address and I will send the record to him. Thanks.:t:

Went down this evening - very quiet bird-wise - even the Swallow roost was down - probably less than 150 individuals cf. 400 - 500 the other evening.

Other than that, many Chiffchaffs, a couple of Willow Warblers, Reed Warblers, Linnets, Goldfinches, Long-tailed Tits, Goldcrests, Treecreeper, 1 Swift, 3 Herring Gulls, 2 BH Gulls, several LBB Gulls and a couple of Buzzards.

Lots of Grasshoppers and Bush Crickets though (including several stridulating Roesel's). Just goes to show that there's always something to see or listen to even when the birds are proving a bit difficult.


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:18.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2018