• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garmin GPSMAP 66s: opinions? (1 Viewer)

Saxatilis

Hello all,

has someone already experienced the new Garmin GPSMAP 66s?

I own an honorable GPSMAP 60Csx (since late 2009) and after waiting for the release of the two previous series 62 and 64, now I would be inclined to take this model up.

I happen to use the GPS devices often in woodland.

Thank you for your input and information!

I can't help specifically, but have an old Oregon model, and the newer models don't seem to add a great deal of benefit to my birding / surveying. I've looked at newer models, but haven't been tempted, which is unusual for me.

Looking at the gpsmap range, the newer model has a better Display, and battery life is much improved in "expedition mode". Lots of other improvements, which i wouldn't think were too relevant and doubt if they would ever be useful (10,000 waypoints instead of 1000, transferring data between devices etc)

I can't help specifically, but have an old Oregon model, and the newer models don't seem to add a great deal of benefit to my birding / surveying. I've looked at newer models, but haven't been tempted, which is unusual for me.

Looking at the gpsmap range, the newer model has a better Display, and battery life is much improved in "expedition mode". Lots of other improvements, which i wouldn't think were too relevant and doubt if they would ever be useful (10,000 waypoints instead of 1000, transferring data between devices etc)

Peter
thanks for your input.
I am waiting for further opinions, if any, concerning the GPS MAP 66s in practice.
I think however that the improvements in terms of technology and performance compared to my model (launched in 2005) will be tangible IMO.
Best,

My Oregon 450 was becoming a struggle for me. Difficult to read the screen without glasses as much as anything!
I was going to buy a Montana, which is the larger screen GPS, but went for the newer oregon700.

It's a big improvement, both visibility of the screen, the gps seems to lock on very fast, even amongst buildings and high walls. (I will hope to get by without the glonas on, in order to save battery)

Biggest improvement, which isn't obvious from reading the specs, is the smart watch style widgets and apps, plus the communication with my smartphone. Phone notifications, live weather, tide table, automatic track recording and export to the cloud. All good features for birding and my reptile surveys.
So I can confirm oregon450 with OS maps, upgrading to oregon700 with free open street maps off the internet is a good move, (albeit after selling a few old laptops and tablets on eBay to soften the price!)

Continuing from previous post... But good grief, there are some bugs in the software!!!

I've had profiles being created and changing without me touching them, the bluetooth losing the phone completely, and some of the 3rd party widgets are crap. So I'm inclined to forget tide tables, and live weather for now! but the rest is fine.. data from the weekend, all uploaded automatically, on a birdwatching walk in horrible conditions.. (but with plenty of common migrants around particularly Wheatear, Yellow Wag, Whinchat and Spotted Redshank):

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4085378421#.XYkNyH-9Ixk.link

batteries lasted 7 hours, but with a lot of messing around with it. Would probably go 8 or 9 if I was just using it "normally"

Next to try it on a Reptile survey with "geo-cached" refugia!

Last edited:
Oregon 700 seems pretty good now. teething troubles have ironed out.
It was very accurate on my reptile survey where the refugia are marked by GPS location.

Not sure how much better the Glonass + GPS is compared to GPS only, both get decent accuracy under trees.
I've got Glonass on, as the battery life seems good regardless.

Think the pocket dialling I experienced was due to a notification from the phone waking up the GPS screen, and the screen being wet / in my pocket.

Barometer seems good for forecasting the weather ahead, the only thing i'm missing is an accurate tide table, but happy to consuit my phone once a day for this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back