• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OK ... deep breath! These are my efforts (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Several members have suggested that I start an Art thread as I have had little response to anything I've posted before elsewhere ... so here goes ... some oldies to start with and may add more depending on whether people like them or not.

Most are from initial rough field sketches with a few directly from field. There are also some more detailed and 'finished' where I've also used fieldguides and photos.

Attachments

• churchheron.JPG
    churchheron.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 260
  • churchseal.JPG
    churchseal.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DipperBridgend06.JPG
    DipperBridgend06.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 289
  • orkney hen harrier.JPG
    orkney hen harrier.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 240
and a few more ...

Attachments

• pintail jizz sketches.JPG
    pintail jizz sketches.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 199
  • pintail drakeIslay06.JPG
    pintail drakeIslay06.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Early Roost800mallard.JPG
    Early Roost800mallard.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 210
  • wigeon at lossie.JPG
    wigeon at lossie.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 193
Hi Deborah!

My favourites are the Heron (what a pose) and the Dipper. Not that there's anything wrong with the others. These tasters just make me want to see what other pieces you have hidden away from us! Great stuff!

Hi Deborah. Welcome aboard the, ever-growing, art bit of BF.

This is a great intro to your work. You have a lovely quality to your linework particularly. The heron is lively, the seals beautifully composed, and the harrier is simply a winner all round.

Looking forward to more!

Woody

Whaaa!!

Another nice thread to look forward to on here ..hope you keep it running:t:

I recognize the Dipper and Pintail from your other birding day thread (shame you accidentally zapped all the others on there!), what else have you got hidden away?

Would be good if you continue to include some of your sketches from the field/notes etc (like those pintails) as these are of interest to many here, as well as the more ''frame'em and hang'em'' drawings and paintings.

Matt

Deborah , lovely stuff. I love the immediacey(not sure if I spelt that right
but you know what I mean) of your work . I agree with Woody for me your
harrier has something real special about it. Love the heron too.

Great start to your thread. your strong point is your line work, so fresh.

Andy

Love the Harrier, great movement, its my favourite, like them all in fact great to see another artist coming on board, hope you post more.

Very glad you're finally sharing these with us on here, I love the heron for the pose, the harrier for the compostion and the colours you use are beautiful in the wigeon and the mallard. Looking forward to seeing more soon.

Wow thanks everyone for your comments you're very kind and it's great encouragement to go do more (when I get time ;) )! Following Matt's advice, here's just a couple of rough 'life' sketches to balance things up a little - I wouldn't call them fieldnotes as I tend to use those purely as diagramatic aids for ID purposes (certainly not worth including here I don't think). These were both done from my bedroom window - Gulls just trying to get shapes down in a few seconds which i find incredibly hard - for some reason I panic and freeze when trying to catch birds on the move so quickly! Greenfinch, working on several birds over a 10 minute period.

Attachments

• HG.JPG
    HG.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 195
  • greenfinch2.JPG
    greenfinch2.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 206
Oh ..you've got Greenfinches too!!

Like the two uncoloured Greens at the top and bottom of the page, a nice flight sketch ~ the bottom one looking over it's shoulder!!

Looks kinda subtle on paper, surely the posture and movement is the hardest thing to capture in such drawings ..combined with the fact they tend not to sit still for very long!

Matt

Amazing stuff, more please! Love them all, but the life, looseness and sense of 'impression' gives away the field work -- excellent, keep this up!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back