• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Request for birding pal / guide near Miami airport (1 Viewer)

temmie

Hi all Floridans,

I have exactly (more or less) from 6-10AM to bird the odd city park near Miami airport. I have found some older threads about this type of birding:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=204595
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137291

I would like to know if there is anybody out there willing to just take me around and drop me off at the airport...

This saves me a car rental or taxi (I would go to A.D. Barnes), and more importantly, I could benefit from local knowledge (I won't take my Sibley / good company + I will be quite exhausted coming from a Lima-Miami flight at night (hopefully with a sighting of Scarlet-banded Barbet).

I would like to see some new birds, but I have no expectations whatsoever (no pressure that I 'must see' this or that bird). Painted Bunting or Florida Scrub Jay alone would be awesome, but I guess those are probably not within reach with only 4 hours to spend. Some others like Eastern Kingbird, Great Crested Flycatcher and hopefully some migrating and sedentary warblers, would already be very nice. No need to search for anything I have probably seen in S-America.

I am willing to pay for any reasonable cost and even for the guiding, but I would consider anybody that is flexible and relaxed. If you are that person or you know someone, I would be happy to get in touch!

UPDATE:
American Airlines doesn't want me to bird in Miami, so they changed my flight schedule. I am now spending that 4 hours near Philadelphia airport! I will re-ask in the Pennsylvania forum!
I guss John Heinz wildlife center is the most obvious choice over there.

Temmie
I'm currently around PHL and LBI for the next week; however I'm mainly working so I wouldn't be able to take time off to show you around. But you may find this link useful

http://ebird.org/ebird/GuideMe?step...&hotspots=L247197&continue.x=69&continue.y=11

As a last ditch, Avis do 4 hr car rentals from PHL but John Heinz is so close, a taxi to/from the reserve center/boardwalk would may be a better choice with such a short time frame.

However the birding is relatively poor there this time of year and if I were in your shoes I would just relax at the airport

Thanks Mike,

I realize I forgot to say the date: I am in Philadelphia Tuesday 18th of August.
So probably the birding will be a bit better by then!
I wouldn't mind going out of the airport just to see a couple of birds, and a taxi will do. If anyone can point me to a regular birder that could introduce me a bit to the park (not necessarily a guide, more like a frequent visitor), that would be nice!

Temmie, sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. I have a travel coming up to Ecuador. The schedules were changes so that I am leaving from here about 6 hours earlier than first planned - but that also means I can get all the way to Ecuador in one day instead of having an overnight layover. That layover is still necessary on the way back, though.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back