• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (2 Viewers)

Hello Tom,
Good idea this. The Galway website is good but it doesn't allow for any discussion obviously.
I live in Galway myself. Hen Harriers, Water Rail, hundreds of Golden Plover, Lapwing and few GW Front out at Curraghline today. Nothing too startling but a good afternoon out all the same.
Tom (also)

Tom
Sounds Like you had a good day. At Silver Strand yesterday, the Surf Scoter was still present, there was 4 Great Northern Divers and a Little Egret on Rusheen Bay. At Nimmo's today there was 4 Iceland Gull, 1 Ring-billed Gull and 1 Glaucous and the usual suspects. My web site is limited to displaying photos that I have take from around Galway. I assume you have check http://www.birdwatchgalway.org/sightings.htm for the lasted sighting from Galway.
Tom

I was going to ask about the Scoter funnily enough. Tried for it couple of times but no luck. I'll try again. Saw the Egret, Grey Plover, and 3 RT Divers last time there so definitely not a wasted trip. Egrets always nice to see. Do BT divers ever occur down there? Good compact site and always things to see.

Tom
Was at Silver Strand today and did not see the Surf Scoter. Attached is the best photo I could get yesterday.
Black Throated Divers are scarce. I think usually seen on the other side of the bay.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC00323 bg.jpg
    DSC00323 bg.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 619
Thanks for info and pic Tom.
Seem to remember a pic (think your name attached) on Birdguides too. The problem with the Scoter for me was that I assumed it would be with a flock of Common Scoters so when I didn't see a flock I assumed wrongly that it had gone. Since learned its a lone bird. Lots of Pipits on shore out towards Barna but near Silver strand. Didn't find anything really good but you never know what might be there.
Tom

Great to see another Irish local thread running, well done! I look forward to following your thread and it will be very useful for the next time I visit Galway (I used to live there).

Sandra

According to Flightline, Irish bird images and Birds Ireland all you have to do in Galway is sit on the end of Nimmo's Pier and you are surrounded by rarities. Now I will be able to get conformation of this from local birders!

Well it is not quite that easy Derek. If the wind is right, the tide is right, the sun at the correct altitude and then you know the birds time table (we have manners on our birds down here they do our bidding). Then all you need to know is what side of the pier to look. Also the general public keep the birds and swans fed.
Its just to easy after all that.
Tom
Check out BirdWatch Galway sightings site http://www.birdwatchgalway.org/sightings.htm

Well done for starting this thread Tom! Now I won't have to go out in the rain to meet local birders!
The egrets have been roosting overnight in Rusheen Bay. I had 4 early on 14th, so the roost's attracting egrets in from elsewhere too, as I've only seen 2 during the day. I've checked since at dusk and only had the usual 2 though.
Finally caught up with the Forster's yesterday in Loughnahulla Bay - I guess this is where it's been hiding when it's not at Nimmos. Great spot for waders too on the incoming tide - 375 grey plover, 1500 goldies, 2000 dunlin, 180 ringed plover, 36 knot, 105 bar-wits, plus peregrine attempting to pluck a redshank off the sea. Also 12 pintail nearby at Mweenish.

Troakie

Tom
Excellent website for Eurolisters! I see there's been killdeer in Spain and white-throated sparrow in Iceland, so we should still be out looking for Yanks! Also Ross's Gulls recently in France, Denmark & Netherlands. At least Ireland has a monopoly on Forster's terns!
Drop me an email if you need any directions for Loughnahulla.

Troakie

Here are a couple of my digiscope pics of the Surfy at Silver Strand, taken on 6 Jan.

Troakie

Attachments

• Surf1.JPG
    Surf1.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 529
  • Surf2.JPG
    Surf2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 510
Paul
Those shots are an improvement on any I have taken. She is always just beyond my range with the dslr and to windy for digiscoping. Now back to work.
Tom

Tim Griffin just rang me (11.30am) to say the the 3 Cattle Egrets are still Cartron, Corandulla in a small field opposite where they where original seen. Local farmer said they have been there for two months.
American Herring Gull was seen to the left of Mutton Island Causeway on the rocks.
5 Iceland Gulls of various ages at the slipway on Nimmo's.

Well done Tom. Glad to see the wee county is having a big impact.I hope to get out there again before the end of march. I missed the American Herring Gull in December and the Kumleins.
At least when I visit again I will be able to check the site to see whats about and where.
It looks like its going to be a popular site.

Now if we could only get sites for Wexford and Cork. ARE YOU LISTENING HARRY HUSSEY ET AL!

Last edited:
Peter
Ye have set the bar high in Louth so lets hope. Would be nice to have similar treads for other counties.
Just had a Twite at Nimmo's possible 5 not sure as someone distrubed them before I could be sure, but more then likely 4 Linnet. (2.10pm)
Tom

Hi,
Good news about Egret numbers at Lough Rusheen.
Heres a digiscoped pic from there this afternoon. Hope it works. My first ever attempt at digiscoping by the way

Attachments

• Little Egret 24.01.08 Loch Rusheen.JPG
    Little Egret 24.01.08 Loch Rusheen.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 470
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back