• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

juv. shrike - Poland (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

This is the second time I am asking for help in recognizing this shrike, maybe this time I will find support :) In my opinion, red backed shrike is rather excluded

Why ?- as Tim Worfolk writes "Identification of red backed, isabelline and brown shrikes" - undertail coverts juv. redbacked are always grayish . These, despite of light interaction, are not grayish, but buff, worm. In addition, the bird has buff-orange supercilium in front of the eye. So ... could it be a senator or something excludes him?

Attachments

• IMG_9748 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_9748 (Copy).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9750 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_9750 (Copy).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 99
Ah, that’s the modern post truth age we’re living in

Two shrikes and you're outed ...

@Jefferson Shanks - It's considered pretty bad form to edit posts in the bird id section to fit in with what others are saying. There's nothing wrong with making suggestions and getting them wrong - people will respect you more for an honest approach. Bird id is difficult (I'm not even getting involved in juv shrike id ;) )

It's also not a bad idea to give some reasoning (or even a reference to internet source or field guide if you use them) when making id decisions, especially if likely to be a bit controversial, and stating whether you are making a definitive id or even a personal opinion doesn't hurt. It's all a learning process ...

Last edited:
That's not what you said yesterday..............;)

Thought I saw him say Isabelline Shrike?

Ah, that's the modern post truth age we're living in;);)

Two shrikes and you're outed ...

@Jefferson Shanks - It's considered pretty bad form to edit posts in the bird id section to fit in with what others are saying. There's nothing wrong with making suggestions and getting them wrong - people will respect you more for an honest approach. Bird id is difficult (I'm not even getting involved in juv shrike id ;) )

It's also not a bad idea to give some reasoning (or even a reference to internet source or field guide if you use them) when making id decisions, especially if likely to be a bit controversial, and stating whether you are making a definitive id or even a personal opinion doesn't hurt. It's all a learning process ...

I changed because I did some more research on the two species and decided on Red-backed Shrike.

Sorry!... I should have put it on a new post. Thanks for understanding! ;)

For the record, Jefferson is 13 years-old (info from his BF profile so I’m revealing no secrets).

Fair enough, let's not dampen his enthusiasm and cut him some slack - he's been honest. I was 13 years once and a right little **** but a passion for birds and wildlife.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back