BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Tripod and Heads (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=451)
-   -   Tripod and head for swaro ats65 (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137019)

kristoffer Wednesday 18th March 2009 08:54

Tripod and head for swaro ats65
 
Hi,
two years ago I bought a swaro ats65 but now I feel that I need a new tripod and head. Is it true that manfrotto got a head that fits right on the swarovski 65 without any screws? I want the tripod to fit in a bag since I often use my bike so I dont want it to be too long when itīs in travel-mode, and I want it to be stable and not too expensive ofc :) Suggestions?
Thanks for the help guys.

Wachtel Wednesday 18th March 2009 09:18

Your height is a factor for the choice of tripod. I'm 6'2" so suitable tripods are few.

kristoffer Wednesday 18th March 2009 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wachtel (Post 1434476)
Your height is a factor for the choice of tripod. I'm 6'2" so suitable tripods are few.

true, I am 184 cms tall so about same then?

BeesWing Wednesday 18th March 2009 10:41

The Manfrotto 3130 Micro Fluid Head atatches directly to the Swarovski scope without any need for an adaptor.
I paired it with a Gitzo basalt fiber GT1932 tripod, witch worked out perfectly for my height, but sounds like it wouldn't for you.

Wachtel Wednesday 18th March 2009 11:11

I can recommend the Manfrotto 055MFV carbon fiber tripod, on level ground I only need to extend the center column a couple of inches. Light and sturdy but maybe a bit long when packed?

kristoffer Wednesday 18th March 2009 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wachtel (Post 1434521)
I can recommend the Manfrotto 055MFV carbon fiber tripod, on level ground I only need to extend the center column a couple of inches. Light and sturdy but maybe a bit long when packed?

how many sections does the leg collapse into? And what head do you use?

Wachtel Wednesday 18th March 2009 11:35

3 sections, I use the 70RC2 head.

kristoffer Wednesday 18th March 2009 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wachtel (Post 1434543)
3 sections, I use the 70RC2 head.

ok, and you like it? you know if it fits on the 65 without adapter?

Wachtel Wednesday 18th March 2009 18:48

The head is great, I've only had my old Kowa TSN-1 and my new TSN-883 on it so I know nothing about how Swaro scopes would fit it.

John Russell Wednesday 18th March 2009 19:19

If you are 184cm you wont need much more than 130cm tripod height with an angled scope. Bear in mind that the tripod head and scope itself add around 25cm and that erect eye level for you would be about 174cm. The Gitzo GT1932 (1,4kg) and Manfrotto 055MF3 (2kg) have heights without centre column extension of 136cm and 134,5cm respectively so both would be suitable. My preference would be the Gitzo despite the less exotic material. It has similar lower sections to my 2942L - see report on tripod forum.

John

Wachtel Wednesday 18th March 2009 21:03

You are of course correct John. When I switched to the TSN-883 I had to lower the center column about 6-7 cm when compared to the TSN-1 on the same setup.

But one should also take into account that at some places (cliffs, beaches etc) you are often forced to position the tripod not just in front of but also below yourself.

kristoffer, you can test the required height with your present tripod. Go for carbon fiber if your budget allows it.

I tested a few of the smaller "travel-tripods" with 4-sectioned legs but they were too short, except one (the GITZO GT2540) but that was way over my budget.

BeesWing Wednesday 18th March 2009 22:17

In addition to my spelling difficulties, I was having metric conversion difficulties.

I am 188cm tall and use an angled eyepiece on my ATS 65. So, the Manfrotto 3130 head and the Gitzo basalt fiber GT1932 tripod should be fine for you. I left the arm off the head and just keep my hands on the scope to pan about. It has been a great setup for me and the basalt fiber made for a (slightly) less shocking price on the tripod.

kristoffer Thursday 19th March 2009 13:31

Thanks for all help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeesWing (Post 1435030)
In addition to my spelling difficulties, I was having metric conversion difficulties.

I am 188cm tall and use an angled eyepiece on my ATS 65. So, the Manfrotto 3130 head and the Gitzo basalt fiber GT1932 tripod should be fine for you. I left the arm off the head and just keep my hands on the scope to pan about. It has been a great setup for me and the basalt fiber made for a (slightly) less shocking price on the tripod.

The GT1932 is a bit too expensive for my budget unfortunately, 4000 sek is a bit over the top. It does look nice though.


Quote:

Originally Posted by John Russell (Post 1434889)
If you are 184cm you wont need much more than 130cm tripod height with an angled scope. Bear in mind that the tripod head and scope itself add around 25cm and that erect eye level for you would be about 174cm. The Gitzo GT1932 (1,4kg) and Manfrotto 055MF3 (2kg) have heights without centre column extension of 136cm and 134,5cm respectively so both would be suitable. My preference would be the Gitzo despite the less exotic material. It has similar lower sections to my 2942L - see report on tripod forum.

John

I cant seem to find the 055MF3, the stores i checked claims that itīs out of stock and replaced by newer products. Does anyone know what manfrottos new replacement for this product is?

postcardcv Thursday 19th March 2009 13:57

I think that the new model is the 055 CX3 (thoug I prefer the 055 CXPRO3) - the foot of the scope will fit directly into the 128rc2 head without use of a QR plate. Alternatively have a look at the Velbon CF tripods the 635 is similat height to the Manfrotto 055 but with a larger footprint (more stable) and is lighter.

kristoffer Thursday 19th March 2009 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by postcardcv (Post 1435394)
I think that the new model is the 055 CX3 (thoug I prefer the 055 CXPRO3) - the foot of the scope will fit directly into the 128rc2 head without use of a QR plate. Alternatively have a look at the Velbon CF tripods the 635 is similat height to the Manfrotto 055 but with a larger footprint (more stable) and is lighter.

ok, thanks :)

StuartReeves Thursday 19th March 2009 17:46

I'm 185cm and use a Velbon 635CF with my Swaro 65. I find it a very good and light combination. However, the three-section legs mean that the tripod isn't that small when the legs are retracted. Velbon do make a four-section version, the 645CF, which might be better for your requirements, though I guess it may be a little less stable.

Stuart

stbear Friday 20th March 2009 12:20

Take a look also at Feisol carbon fiber tripods. Good fit and finish and light weight too.

kristoffer Monday 23rd March 2009 14:09

Thanks for all help guys.

A local dealer, very famous in sweden, Naturbokhandeln, recommends the 1923 GIOTTOS MT9260. 4-part tripod for 100 euros, without head. Anyone tried it?


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:42.

Powered by vBulletin®, copyright ©2000 - 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Đ BirdForum Ltd 2002 - 2018