• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (2 Viewers)

Looks nice ! Hope they tweaked the optics a bit.

yeah will be interesting to see how the optics turn out as the transmission rate is lower then the older CL. So you haven't seen them sold in Germany? Or you were saying you live close to the factory Riverstalker?

I am just happy they didn't put out a new EL, as I only just got my 8x32ELs two weeks ago.

A 4th generation EL is on the way though ...Maybe 2019 or 20.......
It's already being worked on...
Can't wait...

Nice upgrade, will definitely check these ones out again when getting a compact bin. Form factor is really nice on the Companions but ER and FOV/AFOV were not good enough in the previous model.

Good find SBB

They look very modern, I think the styling is improved.

Looks like the central hinge is offset so they can fold up smaller ala the new compact Zeiss FL's.

Also the front eyepiece looks larger than the originals.

Here is information from the web page of the link provided above:

"Order online
This product will be available at authorized dealers and in our online shop starting on November 6th, 2017."

CG

...Looks like the central hinge is offset so they can fold up smaller ala the new compact Zeiss FL's...

No, it's just a cosmetic aspect (as with Leica Noctivid) and doesn't appear to have any effect on folding ability. Minimum IPD spec is 55 mm. That's better than the industry de facto standard of 56 mm, but is not impressive (e.g. Zeiss 8x32 FL goes to 52 mm), as would be the case for a bin of this size that folded tight.

--AP

Good find SBB

They look very modern, I think the styling is improved.

Looks like the central hinge is offset so they can fold up smaller ala the new compact Zeiss FL's.

Also the front eyepiece looks larger than the originals.

yeah hopefully they will fold up better. Well spotted with the central offset hinge. The old/new cases look just as horrendously big as the current ones. Why can't they design a case to fit each particular model to make it compact for the user. Both my CL and EL bags are huge..... Where as my Zeiss, Vortex, Meopta are all perfect fitting. Actually stuff this, I will write to Sabine at Swarovski and let her know.

They look cute for birding, but given that they save only ~2 oz weight over the Zeiss FL but do not have as wide a FOV, do not have as narrow minimum IPD, and do not focus close enough for butterflies (they have ~10 ft minimum vs. ~5 ft for the Zeiss), and who knows about CA control, they seem to lose on all the critical specs for my uses.

--AP

Presumably they’re much cheaper than the 8x32 FL or at least much cheaper than what the 8x32 FL would cost if launched today. Which may not change your analysis but is something many people will consider.

Has anyone seen a pricing hint? I suspect a significant hike over the predecessor.

Last edited:
yeah will be interesting to see how the optics turn out as the transmission rate is lower then the older CL. So you haven't seen them sold in Germany? Or you were saying you live close to the factory Riverstalker?

I am just happy they didn't put out a new EL, as I only just got my 8x32ELs two weeks ago.

I know nothing about a release date and did not see them in person. I just like the new look and the focus knob may be an upgrade, we'll see.
I live next to the European Office in Bavaria Germany, the main Swarovski factory is located near Innsbruck Austria. There is all the tweaking and secret researching.

sbb, post 11,
It is funny that you complain about the size of the binocular bag. Not long ago, Swarovski supplied the best (my opinion) bags one could dream of, they fitted like an envelope around the binocular, but I heard that consumers did not like these bags since they were too sober or whatever term you can think of.
I still use them every day and they hardly take space in the backpack, so ideal for hiking and protection. Pity such a consumer influence to the worst (my opinion of course, not shared by everybody I am sure).
Gijs van Ginkel

I like the old look better than this new one and the fact the old one is a little smaller.
But specs all around look bettter.
Case does appear too big again, but I do like the wool.

The UK part of the Swarovski site shows pricing "from £910" which is £50 more than the current models:

https://uk.swarovskioptik.com/nature/cl-c210105

Unless I was a Swaro enthusiast and was really attracted towards this elegant bino, at that sort of price I would definitely favour Meopta's MeoStar 8x32 or Kowa's Genesis 8x33, but I am basing this on my experience of the old model and maybe this one has upped its optical game.

Lee

They look cute for birding, but given that they save only ~2 oz weight over the Zeiss FL but do not have as wide a FOV, do not have as narrow minimum IPD, and do not focus close enough for butterflies (they have ~10 ft minimum vs. ~5 ft for the Zeiss), and who knows about CA control, they seem to lose on all the critical specs for my uses.

I agree. I'd also add that unless they changed the optics in a major way these aren't really what I'd get for serious birding. The first version was, shall we say, "mediocre".

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back