• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can't find an eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A spotter (1 Viewer)

greywolf

Hi, guys - I guess Fujinon no longer makes the Fieldscopes, or accessories? I cannot for the life of my find a replacement eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A Fieldscope. It has a long-eye relief 25x, and the body is a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know where I can get a 50x, 80x, or 20-60x eyepiece that would work with it? Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks!

[email protected]

Hi, guys - I guess Fujinon no longer makes the Fieldscopes, or accessories? I cannot for the life of my find a replacement eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A Fieldscope. It has a long-eye relief 25x, and the body is a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know where I can get a 50x, 80x, or 20-60x eyepiece that would work with it? Or does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks!

[email protected]

here in the uk [ monk optics and gigrin ] sell them.

Last edited:
I cannot for the life of my find a replacement eyepiece for my Fujinon Super 60-A Fieldscope. It has a long-eye relief 25x, and the body is a 45 degree angle. Does anyone know where I can get a 50x, 80x, or 20-60x eyepiece that would work with it?
[email protected]

IMO you have one of the the best eyepieces for that scope. The other one being the 30xw. The zoom is not very good, and 50x and 80x are too much for a 60mm scope. I had an 80 ED with the 30xw and it was a great scope, with the zoom that came with it... mediocre.

Fujinon had a good product with these scopes that were poorly served by a weak zoom EP and otherwise poor EP selection. I'll bet if you get ahold of a 30xw though, you'll be happy. Good luck!

IMO you have one of the the best eyepieces for that scope. The other one being the 30xw. The zoom is not very good, and 50x and 80x are too much for a 60mm scope. I had an 80 ED with the 30xw and it was a great scope, with the zoom that came with it... mediocre.

Fujinon had a good product with these scopes that were poorly served by a weak zoom EP and otherwise poor EP selection. I'll bet if you get ahold of a 30xw though, you'll be happy. Good luck!

I'm going to be using the scope primarily at the rifle range for very long target shots, so I wonder if the 50x or 80x might still be good for me - don't need a large FOV. Are you saying, though, that the 50x or 80x (or even the 20-60x) eyepieces aren't good optically?

I'm going to be using the scope primarily at the rifle range for very long target shots, so I wonder if the 50x or 80x might still be good for me - don't need a large FOV. Are you saying, though, that the 50x or 80x (or even the 20-60x) eyepieces aren't good optically?

Ah hah, I see. You shooters keep infiltrating Bird Forum and without being specific about your needs, you get answers from a nature observer's POV.

Let me get specific then. I found the zoom not only had a quite narrow FOV (which may not matter to you), but the image degraded noticeably at 50x and above. Regarding the 50x (fixed) EP, it probably would work pretty good on an 80mm scope but might start breaking down optically on a 60mm scope, I can't be sure but it's my best guess. The 80x is way too much for a 60mm scope. You'll be in the realm of "empty magnification". This is where the image will be larger in size but you'll actually resolve better detail at lower magnification.

I know the military uses Kowa 88mm scopes for their spotters accompanying their competitive shooters. When you need high mag., you'll also need large aperture.

My brother uses a Pentax 65mm scope with an excellent XW10 for a magnification of 39x for spotting shooting targets. He tells me that with decent light he can spot .22 holes at 200 yds. fine, 300 yds. would be a challenge. He also says he wouldn't go any higher in mag. The 50x EP might work for your needs, I just can't say.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate the information - you may have saved me some headaches. Though now I might have to start looking for another spotting scope!

Ah hah, I see. You shooters keep infiltrating Bird Forum and without being specific about your needs, you get answers from a nature observer's POV.

Let me get specific then. I found the zoom not only had a quite narrow FOV (which may not matter to you), but the image degraded noticeably at 50x and above. Regarding the 50x (fixed) EP, it probably would work pretty good on an 80mm scope but might start breaking down optically on a 60mm scope, I can't be sure but it's my best guess. The 80x is way too much for a 60mm scope. You'll be in the realm of "empty magnification". This is where the image will be larger in size but you'll actually resolve better detail at lower magnification.

I know the military uses Kowa 88mm scopes for their spotters accompanying their competitive shooters. When you need high mag., you'll also need large aperture.

My brother uses a Pentax 65mm scope with an excellent XW10 for a magnification of 39x for spotting shooting targets. He tells me that with decent light he can spot .22 holes at 200 yds. fine, 300 yds. would be a challenge. He also says he wouldn't go any higher in mag. The 50x EP might work for your needs, I just can't say.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back