• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RWBL with EUST beak? (Central PA) (1 Viewer)

AJP

Was out checking my bluebird trail a few minutes ago and saw three starlings in a tree. Upon closer inspection, I saw that one "starling" had epaulets. It struck me as very unusual to have a RWBL in Pennsylvania this time of year, but even odder still was that it appeared to have the beak of a starling. My 200mm lens couldn't reach very far, but here's the best shot I got. All three were chattering to each other (the other two were starlings for certain.)

Photo

Enlarged photo

The bill looks pretty normal for a RWB to me. The photo was taken at a weird angle, which may be the reason why you think the bill is more like that of a Starling.

Red-winged Blackbirds shouldn't be uncommon in PA, now, or anytime of the year for that matter. In fact, this is when they are migrating, so you should start seeing more and more of them while they are moving through.

They usually start appearing here mid-April, but maybe this one is an "early bird" (no pun intended). The beak still looked very strange to me.

Nothing wrong with that bill. Sure it´s more starling- like then finch-like, but no wonder RWB´s are member of the starling family.

Thanks guys, how I did mix up the families is curious for me, hence the family guide to icterids is on my bookshelf.
Of course without the European Starling, guess the german name for this species, Rotschulterstärling, let me travel the wrong way.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back