• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large back pack for camera gear. (1 Viewer)

Cbrdave

Give me just one clear photo.
I have a Nikon d3400 with sigma 150-600mm sport lens, 18-300mm lens, some cleaning gear, a small spare digital camera for back up an a compact tripod,
Can somebody recommend a camera back pack which will hold the gear, specifically the body attached to the sport lens as it's my most used combo,
I currently have a tarmac back pack,model unknown purchased from eBay, it's great in every way apart from it won't hold the body and sport lens unless I remove the top partition which then stops me carrying other necessary items.
Any help and advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Depending if you want dual use from your backpacks - maybe look over some items from these manufacturers: Equipment from these vendors will last several decades with hard use but the initial up-front cost is rather high.

If you're not into outdoor camping where you spend several hours getting to your remote designation - you probably can find less expensive backpacks that will perform to your satisfaction.

https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks/outdoor

https://www.frostriver.com/product-category/day-packs/

edit - Haaa - just noticed you're from across the pond - well, you can see what a few of us Yanks tote about in our leisure time.

Last edited:
Depending if you want dual use from your backpacks - maybe look over some items from these manufacturers: Equipment from these vendors will last several decades with hard use but the initial up-front cost is rather high.

If you're not into outdoor camping where you spend several hours getting to your remote designation - you probably can find less expensive backpacks that will perform to your satisfaction.

https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks/outdoor

https://www.frostriver.com/product-category/day-packs/

Thanks for the links Joe,
I don't do camping anymore but have had to start using my old British army molle pack, it just about tale the body,lenses and cleaning gear but no room for cleaning gear or spare camera, also it has zero padding so I have to be careful of knocking it and it's not too comfy to trek with.

Thanks for the links Joe,
I don't do camping anymore but have had to start using my old British army molle pack, it just about tale the body,lenses and cleaning gear but no room for cleaning gear or spare camera, also it has zero padding so I have to be careful of knocking it and it's not too comfy to trek with.

Don't know about Amazon UK, but Amazon US sells the Canon Backpack which would probably serve your turn.
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe...qid=1527985386&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+backpack
The pack is padded and has adjustable dividers to customize the interior to fit your gear. It has served me well for about a decade of birding travel, not fancy but quite adequate.
A 'Best Buy' imho at the US$35 Amazon price.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Think Tank Streetwalker Hardrives. I love mine! I keep a D7200 w/ Tamron 150-600 mounted. There's plenty of room for other gear. I'm not familiar with the 18=300 for size.

I always appreciated the sturdy design and the backpack style of Kata - they've changed some along the way, but they made a series of backpacks that were wider and flatter than typical 'square' expedition style packs - that made them much more balanced and not as top heavy on the back when carrying heavy gear and were very well padded for abuse. I still have my Kata R102 backpack which I bought years ago specifically for its ability to carry my 200-500mm, 300mm F4 plus TC, or 150-600mm lenses mounted on the camera body, plus good assortment of other lenses. Particularly nice was a door-within-a-door design so the central section where the camera and big lens were stored could be opened and accessed without dumping out all the other lenses. The interior is completely re-configurable, so that center section can be made to take up the whole length of the backpack, or shortened if you don't need to handle really long lenses.

I don't think that exact model is made anymore - too bad! - They merged with Manfrotto, and I think the bags are now under Manfrotto's name - the Manfrotto Pro 30 looks a lot like later Kata designs and fits the 150-600mm lenses mounted.

I always appreciated the sturdy design and the backpack style of Kata - they've changed some along the way, but they made a series of backpacks that were wider and flatter than typical 'square' expedition style packs - that made them much more balanced and not as top heavy on the back when carrying heavy gear and were very well padded for abuse. I still have my Kata R102 backpack which I bought years ago specifically for its ability to carry my 200-500mm, 300mm F4 plus TC, or 150-600mm lenses mounted on the camera body, plus good assortment of other lenses. Particularly nice was a door-within-a-door design so the central section where the camera and big lens were stored could be opened and accessed without dumping out all the other lenses. The interior is completely re-configurable, so that center section can be made to take up the whole length of the backpack, or shortened if you don't need to handle really long lenses.

I don't think that exact model is made anymore - too bad! - They merged with Manfrotto, and I think the bags are now under Manfrotto's name - the Manfrotto Pro 30 looks a lot like later Kata designs and fits the 150-600mm lenses mounted.
Thanks Zac
The Kata sounds spot on, will take a look at the pro30.

Just a quick update,
Found a think tank street walker pro v2.0 on eBay, paid £50, almost brand new and it does all my gear with plenty of rooom for more and is really comfortable.
Many thanks for all the help and advice.
Dave.

Zackdawg, post 8,
With great pleasure and satisfaction I have used Kata camara backpacks on many outdoor trips and I recently noticed that they were not sold anymore, but now I understand since they became part of Manfrotto. Nice to know, thank you.
Gijs van Ginkel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back