• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify Strange Blue Bird (1 Viewer)

IMRJS

Who can help us identify this blue bird in our backyard? We live in Southern Ontario, Canada (Niagara Region). There are two of them and have been around now for 3 days.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Thx,
Ryan

Ryan,

It's a male Indigo Bunting.

When I saw my first one in the States I was amazed at how irridescent it was.

Wish it was on my feeder over here!!

Darrell

Yep, male Indigo Bunting - very nice.
If it was on your feeder over here Darrell, "the Powers That Be" would say it was an escape (they usually do!).

Absolutely right CJW.
That happened some years ago with a Lazuli Bunting we had down here on feeders. Never mind that a Yellow-throated and a Red-eyed Vireo were also about at the time - ah well!!

Darrell

First off - welcome IMRJS from the moderators and administrators of BF. I am inclined to make it unanimous and say the male indigo bunting. Lucky you!

Hi Ryan, welcome to BF from a fellow Canadian. Lucky you is right, wish we had Indigo Buntings way up here! I see your photos are taken at a feeder, how many do you have? What birds do you get feeding? Do you feed all year round?

Thank You

Thank you Darrell, CJW, KCFoggin and Yve_M. Yve_M we have two of them. And we feed the birds all year around. These two just showed up about 5 days ago now and come throughout the day to feed. I have looked on the internet to find out what the female looks like.... (I don't think we have any females yet!). Any suggestions on food or housing boxes? Would they have already picked a nesting place? We have a lot of evergreens in our backyard, would they nest in them? Also they seem very nervous even when we view them through our windows approx 15 feet away. Thanks again for the information.

Ryan

Thanks for helping me identify the new bird in my backyard! I spent several hours on the internet trying to identify the new blue bird hanging out in my backyard - they are very musical.
pictures match exactly - I too am in Ontario - near (just east of) Orillia.... Is this normal for Indigo Buntings to be in this area? We have never seen them before. thanks to BF for the info.
Cass

Hello Ryan:
Greetings from Sunny Alberta, the city of Edmonton where we had a lovely +25C today.
Congrats with that lovely bird, I have not seen any in this part of the woods, but we do have the Northern Blue birds.
I spent a great afternoon at a park in town and took some nice pictures of water fowl (digiscoping) that I soon will prepare for posting.
visit my webpage and enjoy the birds and the rest of my doings.
www.walther-loff.com
cheers

in Canada eH :)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back