• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four Orchids in one day (1 Viewer)

robhope

Went down to Chappett's Copse yesterday to see the Sword-leaved Helleborines and try and find some Bird's-nest Orchids (on the advice of Patton's Tiger). Hundreds of beautiful spikes of the Sword-leaved carpeting the woodland floor - almost too easy. Just as I was going to give up finding the Bird's Nest Orchids I found a group of 10+ in good condition, so a very successful outing.

Decided to pop to West Dean Woods afterwards to carry on the orchid hunt and found a few Early Purple Orchids still in flower, dozens of Common Twayblades and several Bird's Nest Orchids. I also found a mystery plant which could be a Hellborine - I shall have to pop back when the flowers open (the rain was falling heavily at this point and the vegetation very tangled so I didn't check the leaves). What a great day.

Next up Musk, Man, Fragrant and Frog...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Chappett Sword-leaved Helleborine.JPG
    Chappett Sword-leaved Helleborine.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Chappett's Bird's-nest Orchid.JPG
    Chappett's Bird's-nest Orchid.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 155
  • West Dean Common Twayblade.JPG
    West Dean Common Twayblade.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 902
  • West Dean Bird's Nest.jpg
    West Dean Bird's Nest.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 144
  • West Dean Orchid.JPG
    West Dean Orchid.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Could the last one be Greater Butterfly in bud?

Phil

Phil,

Thanks - it could be because I have had Greater Butterfly Orchid at this site before, although I have never seen it in this particular spot. I've not seen one in bud before so it will be interesting to confirm.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

I must have followed you round Chappets Copse yesterday, I was there late afternoon. Its an amazing show of sword leaved at the moment, I found the first one right by the path at the parking spot (Looking at the first pic I guess you did as well!!), The birds nest were a bit more elusive, but eventually I found the same group (another familiar photo!). I was surprised not to find many white helleborine in flower, only one large spike in the photographers area, and a few more in bud or just opening. On the whole though it seems like a very early season, many of the early purples were going over in Cumbria 2 weeks ago & Southern Marsh are already in flower at my local site (Pennington Flash)

Although I went to see the Sword-leaved Helleborine I am annoyed that I did not think to look for, or actually see, any White Helleborine. Assuming they are all the same and not really looking has cost me several species over the years, whether they be birds, flowers or insects.
It was nice to see several people at the site enjoying the show as you have said. Hopefully the season continues as it has started.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Went down to Chappett's Copse yesterday to see the Sword-leaved Helleborines and try and find some Bird's-nest Orchids (on the advice of Patton's Tiger). Hundreds of beautiful spikes of the Sword-leaved carpeting the woodland floor - almost too easy. Just as I was going to give up finding the Bird's Nest Orchids I found a group of 10+ in good condition, so a very successful outing.

Decided to pop to West Dean Woods afterwards to carry on the orchid hunt and found a few Early Purple Orchids still in flower, dozens of Common Twayblades and several Bird's Nest Orchids. I also found a mystery plant which could be a Hellborine - I shall have to pop back when the flowers open (the rain was falling heavily at this point and the vegetation very tangled so I didn't check the leaves). What a great day.

Next up Musk, Man, Fragrant and Frog...

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few
Dear Rob,
Phill is right. Your last picture is a Greater Butterfly Orchid coming out. A lot more advanced than the plants I was caging from rabbit damage today here in Warwickshire.

Brian Laney Botanist Northamptonshire.

I've seen GBO at four sites in the last week, from the Chilterns to Leicestershire, and all have been in bud just like this one.

They'll be out by this weekend.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back