• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kerala November 2007 (1 Viewer)

simondix

I hope to go to Kerala on holiday next year. My wife wants a beach holiday. However does anybody know of any birdguides there who will be able to take us out for the odd day.

I am trying to persuade her to split the holiday into two. With a week up at Perayur Lake up in the Ghats. However she believes that there will be a snake round every corner so not much chance of going.

Kalypso have a good reputation (http://www.kalypsoadventures.com/html/wildfrm.htm) and might be able to fix you up with something.

Periyar is at least 6 hours from the coast so would require you to be very persuasive. Snakes are not commonly encountered but leeches are so some of her fears might be confirmed. Depending where you are staying Thettakad would be a much better spot to aim for and it has loads of good birding. There are a couple of good camps there.

simondix said:
I am trying to persuade her to split the holiday into two. With a week up at Perayur Lake up in the Ghats. However she believes that there will be a snake round every corner so not much chance of going.
Sounds like she's been watching too much "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here" LOL!

I spent a few days in Periyar and never came across a snake and I'm terrified of the things too.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Creepy crawlies and parasites are not a problem with her, lets face it she married me. Just snakes.

I will take the ideas on board and discuss it with her.

We are definitely going to Kerala from November 9th 2007. During the first week we are doing a backwater rice boat trip of 2days. 1 night. Then two days at Perayir. The second week is at Kovalam. I hope to get a days birding there.

I usually get up at dawn do a couple of hours then go back to the hotel for breakfast.

A couple of questions.

I assume it is reasonably safe to wander about on your own with scope and digiscoping equipment? I never felt at risk in Goa and I presume Kerala is the same.

Is the birding round Kovalum accessible on foot?

We are definitely going to Kerala from November 9th 2007. During the first week we are doing a backwater rice boat trip of 2days. 1 night. Then two days at Perayir. The second week is at Kovalam. I hope to get a days birding there.

I usually get up at dawn do a couple of hours then go back to the hotel for breakfast.

A couple of questions.

I assume it is reasonably safe to wander about on your own with scope and digiscoping equipment? I never felt at risk in Goa and I presume Kerala is the same.

Is the birding round Kovalum accessible on foot?

yep,safe as houses.Try a walk along the coast north for a couple of miles checking in all the coconut plantations or a great day trip is up to neyyar dam,about 45 mins in a rickshaw.Ace place

Thanks for that. Starting to get excited already.
I have been to Goa once, in the south, two years ago. Except for one day did all the birding round the hotel on my own. I missed more than I saw. That was because by the time I had worked out one bird half a dozen others flew past. Got a list of 178 which was not bad. Did an organised Day trip up to the north and it was great to have someone point out the birds.

Why not write a trip report and post it in the Trip Reports section? I'm sure that we would all be very interested to raed the details of how you got on together with any recommendations etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back