• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Italy - Italian Sparrow or Eurasian Tree Sparrow (1 Viewer)

AdrianB70

United States
Central Italy - not sure if these are the same or different birds (1st and third photos are same bird)

Attachments

• 239.jpg
    239.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 242.jpg
    242.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 171
  • 237.jpg
    237.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
To me the second one seem to have too strong bill, too long black bib, too House Sparrow like wing markings including uniform chestnut lesser coverts and too faint and blurred black cheek-spots to be a pure Tree Sparrow. But I may interpret the very brightly coloured picture wrongly.....

IF indeed you've by chance managed to photograph a very rare hybrid Italian Sparrow x Tree Sparrow, I'll be the first to shout:

BRAVO!

Peter

Last edited:
To me the second one seem to have too strong bill, too long black bib, too House Sparrow like wing markings including uniform chestnut lesser coverts and too faint and blurred black cheek-spots to be a pure Tree Sparrow. But I may interpret the very brightly coloured picture wrongly.....

IF indeed you've by chance managed to photograph a very rare hybrid Italian Sparrow x Tree Sparrow, I'll be the first to shout:

BRAVO!

Peter

I wondered exactly that but didn't dare say it!

I was thinking that the first and third were tree sparrows while the middle one was an Italian, but the black spot on the Italian threw me off. It definitely does have a more extensive bib than the other bird.

I had a bird looking much like the one in 2 hanging around my garden (in Scotland) a couple of years ago and I always assumed it was a house/tree sparrow hybrid. Yours could easily be tree/Italian hybrid. It doesn't look like pure tree to me anyway.

I had a bird looking much like the one in 2 hanging around my garden (in Scotland) a couple of years ago and I always assumed it was a house/tree sparrow hybrid.

I had a House Sparrow male breed with a Tree Sparrow two summers ago ...resultants looked very much like these birds.

Just a dump question: why do both birds have a chestnut cheek spot instead of a black one as usual in Tree Sparrow?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back