BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Bird Identification Q&A (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Please ID-Guanacaste Costa Rica (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=86046)

LazDivaz Sunday 13th May 2007 22:07

Please ID-Guanacaste Costa Rica

1 Attachment(s)
I found this bird sitting on a branch in an estuary, but have never seen her before. Is it some sort of plover? Can't find it in my Styles and Skutch.
Many thanks.
Sara

birderbf Sunday 13th May 2007 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazDivaz (Post 888128)
I found this bird sitting on a branch in an estuary, but have never seen her before. Is it some sort of plover? Can't find it in my Styles and Skutch.
Many thanks.
Sara

I can't say I've ever seen one sit on a branch, but it's a migratory Ruddy Turnstone.

AlexC Sunday 13th May 2007 22:11

Ruddy Turnstone for me, too. Don't know if you have any other turnstones down there, though.

Dave B Smith Sunday 13th May 2007 22:24

Hey Sara,
You're getting a pretty good collection of visitors! Agree with Ruddy Turnstone - and let him know we're waiting for him to arrive back to Canada!

LazDivaz Sunday 13th May 2007 22:26

Thanks. That was fast. From where has it migrated, do you think and isn't it a bit late to be getting back?

LazDivaz Sunday 13th May 2007 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave B Smith (Post 888145)
Hey Sara,
You're getting a pretty good collection of visitors! Agree with Ruddy Turnstone - and let him know we're waiting for him to arrive back to Canada!

I think I'll keep him....

AlexC Sunday 13th May 2007 22:31

Yeah - just checked Clements list - didn't realize there were only two turnstones in the world - Ruddy and Black - but this is definitely a Ruddy.

Dave B Smith Sunday 13th May 2007 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazDivaz (Post 888146)
From where has it migrated, do you think and isn't it a bit late to be getting back?

In the Americas, they breed in Alaska and Northern Canada
and winter along both coasts of the US and as far south as Tierra del Fuego. According to Stiles & Skutch, along with the spring & fall migrants, you also get some winter residents and "uncommonally" a few summer non breeding birds.

Shorebirds are just starting to pass through Calgary in decent numbers now but lots more to come.

LazDivaz Sunday 13th May 2007 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave B Smith (Post 888158)
In the Americas, they breed in Alaska and Northern Canada
and winter along both coasts of the US and as far south as Tierra del Fuego. According to Stiles & Skutch, along with the spring & fall migrants, you also get some winter residents and "uncommonally" a few summer non breeding birds.

Shorebirds are just starting to pass through Calgary in decent numbers now but lots more to come.

O ye of little faith....I guess I have to study my plates in Stiles and Skutch a bit more thoroughly before I go asking for help. I guess I'm just too eager to find something unusual, and, to tell you the truth, I'm much more excited about a siting when I can't identify it myself. Novice behavior, for sure!
Thanks for all of the info.
Sara