• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cropping. (1 Viewer)

Genuinely interested question why would you want to crop in camera?
The reasons I do it (1.3× in-camera crop) in my Nikon D7200 are severalfold:
* More reach (though I concede that doing so post has the same effect and may even save a wingtip or two, but since I am using a zoom lens - Tamron G2 150-600 - if I am on the ball I can zoom out and this shouldn't happen too often)
* Speed - I get an extra fps to take it from 6 up to 7 when in the 1.3× in-camera crop mode.
* Greater 'effective' focus point coverage over more of the (smaller active part of the) screen. In practice it just places a line border around the cropped area. Theoretically better AF.
* Smaller file sizes - beneficial on the camera's SD card, and in the amount of computer memory taken up.
* Metering - more options in practice in certain situations.

I may be crazy but I wouldn't be without it :)
I wish all cameras did it - it's such a simple thing to do. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

The reasons I do it (1.3× in-camera crop) in my Nikon D7200 are severalfold:
* More reach (though I concede that doing so post has the same effect and may even save a wingtip or two, but since I am using a zoom lens - Tamron G2 150-600 - if I am on the ball I can zoom out and this shouldn't happen too often)
* Speed - I get an extra fps to take it from 6 up to 7 when in the 1.3× in-camera crop mode.
* Greater 'effective' focus point coverage over more of the (smaller active part of the) screen. In practice it just places a line border around the cropped area. Theoretically better AF.
* Smaller file sizes - beneficial on the camera's SD card, and in the amount of computer memory taken up.
* Metering - more options in practice in certain situations.

I may be crazy but I wouldn't be without it :)
I wish all cameras did it - it's such a simple thing to do. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

A lot of what you say covers how i felt moving to m4/3 after finding DX and the 150-600 zoom too heavy,in the D7200 you have a camera that crops well.

Just found out you cant crop your photos in camera.........how ridiculous,camera now being returned.

You do have a crop mode available in the camera - you can't POST PROCESS crop in camera, but you can set the camera to shoot in a zoom/crop mode like you described with your Nikon. Sony calls theirs 'smart zoom'...you enable it in the menu, and then set the resolution down accordingly (ie: Image Size: L - no crop, image-size M - 1.4× crop, image-size S - 2× crop).

There is also an up-rez zoom mode called Clear Image Zoom - this does an internal crop but then restores the resolution of the final product through uprezzing - for this mode, Image size L has a 2× crop, M has a 2.8× crop, and S has a 4× crop.

The third zoom option is standard digital zooming, which doesn't use any sensor-based cropping...it just digitally zooms into the photo like a typical smartphone.

The different zoom modes are enabled or disabled in the menu - you can choose which ones you want to use.

You do have a crop mode available in the camera - you can't POST PROCESS crop in camera, but you can set the camera to shoot in a zoom/crop mode like you described with your Nikon. Sony calls theirs 'smart zoom'...you enable it in the menu, and then set the resolution down accordingly (ie: Image Size: L - no crop, image-size M - 1.4× crop, image-size S - 2× crop).

There is also an up-rez zoom mode called Clear Image Zoom - this does an internal crop but then restores the resolution of the final product through uprezzing - for this mode, Image size L has a 2× crop, M has a 2.8× crop, and S has a 4× crop.

The third zoom option is standard digital zooming, which doesn't use any sensor-based cropping...it just digitally zooms into the photo like a typical smartphone.

The different zoom modes are enabled or disabled in the menu - you can choose which ones you want to use.

Thank you for this.
It is just the kind of useful insight that is hard to extract from the Sony menus or user manuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back