• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A300, What lens Sony 100-300 or Sigma 120-400 (1 Viewer)

alan_rymer

United Kingdom
I have an A300 for 11 months which I am pleased with. But thinking of moving to A700 now prices have dropped.
My len's include:
Sigma APO 400 F5.6 with a bust Autofocus which I like.
Sigma APO 70-300 with a "Sony destroyed" AF which I no longer use.
Minolta APO 100-300
A couple of Minolta 35-70MM which I use for Digiscoping, one is a back up.
Minolta 28-80 Macro
Sigma APO 1.4 TC Which fits the Sigma 400
Kenko 300 1.4 TC which I bought today and doesn't fit ( connect to ) my minolta APO 100-300 ( the surround is oval )

I'm currently looking at one of two lens:
Sony 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 G SSM
£499
Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM £599
What should I get? Or other suggestions, for no more than the sigma!

Last edited:
Difficult Alan.

The 70-300mm G is far better iq, response, etc, but may be found short. If you can find one, maybe a Tamron 200-500mm second hand would be worth considering? I've got one for my A300/200 and got it for £475, used probably once, from Mifsuds...

Carl

I use the 70-300 G and the 200-500mm Tamron with an A700. For reach the Tamron at 500mm can't be beaten. Neither is incredibly fast at autofocus but I've had excellent results from both lenses.

Hi. I shoot the Sony A700, and have used the Tamron 200-500mm quite extensively for bird photography, however after acquiring the Sony 70-400G, even though a shorter lens, I have yet to use the Tamron again. Sony's image detail, even in low light conditions, blows away the Tamron! The Tamron produced unacceptably soft images in all but high-contrast direct light, pretty much the worst lighting for high caliber bird photography. regards~onlybill

To be fair though the Sony 70-400G is around £1250 and the Tamron 200-500mm is around £800. I've had some really good results with the Tamron in all lighting conditions. I agree that 'G'-series glass is superior although I'm sure I have read that at the full 400mm even the 'G'-series can be a little soft at the edges (?).

Just thought I'd let you know. I eventually went for a used Tamron 200-500 from BF's own Tilly H. Just waiting for some decent weather to give it a fair try out.
When we met up at Otmoor on Monday for me to give it a quick onceover and tryout, the weather was dull and misty and the birds reticent to say the least. But I did get some beautiful shots of some Rose hips at different zooms!.

I also splashed out on a new a700 (body only) from Jessops the week before so I am on a new and exciting learning curve!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back