• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish owl tracked to Morocco (BTO) (1 Viewer)

BF Newsroom

Latest update from the BTO: Scottish owl tracked to Morocco

seo_resize_bto-2019-b03-tom_streeter-181_2_original.jpg

A Short-eared Owl, fitted with a satellite whilst breeding in Scotland, has been tracked to Morocco. Researchers from BTO Scotland have been developing methods for surveying Short-eared Owls in their breeding haunts and tracking the movements of individuals across the year.

Read More...

Very interesting. Just a few years ago, the Short-eared Owl used to be a rarity in Morocco.

Laurie, Marsh Owl has been indeed observed recently near Oualidia.

Interesting stuff. I remember seeing a SEO in Morocco one winter. What i also find really interesting in the linked BTO blog, is the female SEO which nested in Scotland and once the chicks had hatched, left the male to feed them, and then migrated to southern Norway and almost certainly nested again there. I wonder how often this kind of thing happens - i seem to recall that it's confirmed in Dotterel. When i was doing a month of bird surveys and training in Syria i was often told by farmers and govt rangers that some birds like Quail and Skylarks will nest in the early Spring in Syria then continue north following the advance of spring.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back