BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Peru (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   Peru Birding and Kolibri Expeditions information Request (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=49383)

Larry Lade Friday 13th January 2006 16:49

Peru Birding and Kolibri Expeditions information Request

I am posting this for a friend in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have also invited him to become a member of BirdForum. Then he would be able to query the membership concerning any birding information he may want.

I am considering a trip to Peru this summer. Does
anyone have any imput about Kolibri Expeditions.

Hopefully, someone will be able to respond to his request for info.

Edward woodwood Friday 13th January 2006 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Lade
I am posting this for a friend in Saint Louis, Missouri. I have also invited him to become a member of BirdForum. Then he would be able to query the membership concerning any birding information he may want.

I am considering a trip to Peru this summer. Does
anyone have any imput about Kolibri Expeditions.

Hopefully, someone will be able to respond to his request for info.

yeah,

run by Gunnar Engblom

nice bloke

trips are very 'budget birder' oriented. he can get you to the birds cheaply but it might be a bit of an adventure. some don't like it that way, others love it... a bit of net research should yield some interesting results! ;) ;)

Tim

Rasmus Boegh Friday 13th January 2006 20:14

Since earlier years they've changed quite a bit and now offer trips at various levels; from the very basic to the luxurious (as "luxurious" as possible in some of these regions - don't expect 5 star hotels in the Amazon! Indeed, at a few of the top birding localities in Peru camping is the only option). The most luxurious tours are sold under the sub-name "Marvellous Spatuletail Tours". When it comes to showing people the birds they're as good and reliable as the other well established companies. Gunnar Engbloem has also been in the very front when it comes to finding areas that previously were unvisited by groups. BTW; Gunnar is a member of BF...

Larry Lade Friday 13th January 2006 22:45

Tim and Rasmus, thank you for your comments. I will pass your information on to my birding friend in Saint Louis.

Steve Babbs Wednesday 18th January 2006 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
yeah,

run by Gunnar Engblom

nice bloke

trips are very 'budget birder' oriented. he can get you to the birds cheaply but it might be a bit of an adventure. some don't like it that way, others love it... a bit of net research should yield some interesting results! ;) ;)

Tim

your idea of 'budget' and mine I very different Tim! Budget for me is buses and a few trip reports.

Do recommend their pelagic as there is probably no other reasonable way to get the see birds.

Steve

Edward woodwood Wednesday 18th January 2006 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Babbs
your idea of 'budget' and mine I very different Tim! Budget for me is buses and a few trip reports.

Do recommend their pelagic as there is probably no other reasonable way to get the see birds.

Steve

me too Steve

I've never been on any of his trips and have always done it myself. But he is a lot cheaper than the major operators...by a long way, and invilved in conservation projects on the ground over there too which counts for a heck of lot

Tim

Steve Babbs Wednesday 18th January 2006 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Allwood
me too Steve

I've never been on any of his trips and have always done it myself. But he is a lot cheaper than the major operators...by a long way, and invilved in conservation projects on the ground over there too which counts for a heck of lot

Tim

Thinking about it I do have some opinions about Kolibri - which I think I'd rather share by PM.

Steve