• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New database on Vintage Binoculars Models & Brands by Trademark (2 Viewers)

bigfield

While researching binoculars brands for my binoculars research website/ virtual binoculars museum, I spent time slogging through the resources of many of the world's trademark (intellectual property) agencies. Lots of people inquire about the older or less common binoculars brands and models they may see or acquire secondhand, so it made sense to make it a project to organize trademark information into an easily accessed public binoculars research database resource (and one not limited to the miniature patterns). Currently the section "DATA BINOCULARS BRANDS" on the website www.miniaturebinoculars.com offers documentation on 651 binoculars brand names and binoculars model names that were trademarked anywhere in the world, along with the trademark number; the country where the trademark was filed; the trademark owner; when the trademark was filed; sometimes the claimed date of first commercial usage of the name prior to the trademark being filed; and when the trademark expired or was cancelled or if it is still active.This effort is oriented to vintage binoculars data (prior to 2006 or so). A lot of the obscure binoculars of the 1950's and of the 1960's and of pre WWII were never trademarked, but this project still offers a wealth of research information on vintage binoculars. The companion project is to scan and display the collection's vintage binoculars catalogs and this now offers 45 mostly 1950's-1970's catalogs with binoculars and 569 scanned catalog pages of vintage binoculars in the sections "RESEARCH MATERIALS #1" and "RESEARCH MATERIALS #2" on www.miniaturebinoculars.com

Yes,
I used it when researching miniature binoculars.

My first binocular, perhaps 1960s, was a miniature 7x23 Nipole from Charles Frank that I used for many years, taking it on many journeys here and abroad.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back