• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

First hour or so in order:

Rook
Blackbird
Robin
Goldfinch
Crow
Dunnock
Jackdaw
Blue Tit
Wood Pigeon
House Sparrow
Starling
Buzzard
Chaffinch
Magpie
Great spotted Woodpecker
Nuthatch
Common Gull
Collared Dove
Black-headed Gull
Greenfinch
Coal Tit
Heron
Fieldfare
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Pied Wagtail

You're up and running all bright eyed and bushy tailed H, I'm still recovering from my culinary efforts last night and contemplating the pile of washing up still to be done!
Still, a few goodies this morning, visits from Alpine Choughs and the Alpine Accentor early on, then this big bruiser (see photo) that had some crows in a panic.

Attachments

• New Year Gos.jpg
    New Year Gos.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 195
Anyway, enough of my dodgy jokes, night has fallen (and a bit of snow too) and the day's total in and from the garden is a decent 25 species, including a couple of surprises:
Blackbird
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Marsh Tit
Magpie
Raven
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Hawfinch
Alpine Chough
Mistle Thrush
Nuthatch
Jay
Great spotted Woodpecker
Crested Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Willow Tit
Goshawk
Lesser spotted Woodpecker
Alpine Accentor

The Long tailed Tit was not only the first we've had on our feeders, it also had a very white head, not a pure 'Northern' though as through the bins I could make out a pale grey 'shadow' in places. The Lesser spotted Woodpecker was only our second ever here, and I suspect the same female as in November which for some reason has decided to winter at altitude. Here's hoping the year continues to bring birding surprises to all of you!

A humble start at home:

Spotless Starling
Collared Dove
Linnet
Sardinian Warbler
House Sparrow
Yellow-legged Gull
Blue Tit
Common Chiffchaff
Blackbird
Black Redstart
Azure-winged (Iberian) Magpie

First time in years that I have been in Lithuania on 1st January, returning to the country yesterday.

Crappy wet day, albeit very mild. Sat and looked out of the window and got the first birds of the year, the biggest surprise being an immature White-tailed Eagle sat in a tree a hundred metres beyond the feeders for a couple of hours at least. Very rare inland in winter, usually see occasional birds from March onwards, but have seen January birds before.

Also nice a Great Grey Shrike in his usual spot and White-backed, Great Spotted and Middle Spotted Woodpeckers attending the feeders. Flock of about 30 Yellowhammers also not very usual for mid-winter.

1. White-tailed Eagle
2. White-backed Woodpecker
3. Great Spotted Woodpecker
4. Great Grey Shrike
5. Great Tit
6. Blue Tit
7. Marsh Tit
8. Jay
9. Raven
10. Magpie
11. Bullfinch
12. Yellowhammer

Anyway, enough of my dodgy jokes, night has fallen (and a bit of snow too) and the day's total in and from the garden is a decent 25 species, including a couple of surprises:
Blackbird
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blue Tit
Marsh Tit
Magpie
Raven
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Siskin
Yellowhammer
Hawfinch
Alpine Chough
Mistle Thrush
Nuthatch
Jay
Great spotted Woodpecker
Crested Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Willow Tit
Goshawk
Lesser spotted Woodpecker
Alpine Accentor

The Long tailed Tit was not only the first we've had on our feeders, it also had a very white head, not a pure 'Northern' though as through the bins I could make out a pale grey 'shadow' in places. The Lesser spotted Woodpecker was only our second ever here, and I suspect the same female as in November which for some reason has decided to winter at altitude. Here's hoping the year continues to bring birding surprises to all of you!

Not bad at all :)

I had a good start that's true, but there are five of Simon's that I've never seen here, and three of Jos', so there are always "Reasons to be jealous (part two;) )"

What a difference this morning - no birds about.

Yesterday was exceptional for gulls - and I realised I'd missed off:

Great Black-backed Gull (#30/31 if pigeon!)

with 20+ Herring Gulls as well as the others.

Today: 1 Black h Gull !

But, so far, nothing much & nothing new.

Last edited:
Three species added today:
26 Common Treecreeper
27 Robin
28 Green Woodpecker

The Alpine Accentor is only around early morning and late afternoon which makes me think it's roosting on the house, probably on a beam sheltered from the elements by the roof overhang, it strolled below the kitchen window just now while I was cooking up a lentil and red pepper curry so the rather grainy photo was the best I could manage with oven mitts on :t: . The other (even worse) photo is of the 'pale-headed' Long-tailed Tit (lower of the two birds on the feeder) which came back as darkness fell - with 5 friends! All the others have standard plumage.

Attachments

• Accenteur A 2.1.18.jpg
    Accenteur A 2.1.18.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Mes a l q tête claire.jpg
    Mes a l q tête claire.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 125
4 species new for the year at home today - but the best by far is the first I've seen in the local area and calling away to boot, inbetween foraging in the Fig Tree giving fab views.

13. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
14. Eurasian Crag-martin
15. Northern Gannet
16. Great Tit

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back