• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Birding Bins (1 Viewer)

b3rd

Reg1stered User
So I have been asking on the forum a lot of questions about the Leica Noctivids, and I wanted to just let people know that I ended up buying a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 binoculars from my local birding shop, "One Good Tern."

The owner of this establishment had a wide selection of binoculars available, including a few SW and Zeiss alpha bins. I was able to try the Zeiss SF and EL 8x5x42. The view through the Zeiss was so impressive that I bought it on the spot.

For me, the image was just astounding with no hint of rollerball. Bright, comfortable, well-balanced, wide FOV, sharp, no CA, excellent focuser. Wow. This was compared to the EL, which had (to my eyes) extreme pincusion distortion evident when panning (rollerball). I also tried the 'lesser' Zeiss Conquest and it was no contest.

I am very much looking forward to birding with these new bins.

Thanks to everyone who was patient in answering my questions and providing all manners of information and opinion on here.

Last edited:
b3rd,

Great name for your local establishment, those who enjoy a bit of brandy can go down the the "Tern" and check out some glass. Enjoy the bin.

I thought you meant FL, changed after your edit.

Andy W.

Last edited:
So I have been asking on the forum a lot of questions about the Leica Noctivids, and I wanted to just let people know that I ended up buying a pair of Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 binoculars from my local birding shop, "One Good Tern."

The owner of this establishment had a wide selection of binoculars available, including a few SW and Zeiss alpha bins. I was able to try the Zeiss SF and EL 8x5x42. The view through the Zeiss was so impressive that I bought it on the spot.

For me, the image was just astounding with no hint of rollerball. Bright, comfortable, well-balanced, wide FOV, sharp, no CA, excellent focuser. Wow. This was compared to the EL, which had (to my eyes) extreme pincusion distortion evident when panning (rollerball). I also tried the 'lesser' Zeiss Conquest and it was no contest.

I am very much looking forward to birding with these new bins.

Thanks to everyone who was patient in answering my questions and providing all manners of information and opinion on here.

Great choice. I've looked through the SF a lot now and I know it's a beautiful binocular. :t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back