• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WOW! Huge white bird, HELP! (1 Viewer)

AmpelisChinito

Cedar Waxwing Chairman
I saw this today in Greater Boston, MA at 2:30. There were two and they were huge. They both had the same markings on the tail. At first glance, they appear to be Snowy Owls, because of their size. I'd say their wingspan was about 45". They would fly around, as if in some mating display. I've never heard of this bird, or anything like it.

Ampelis

Attachments

• dove.JPG
    dove.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 755
  • dove2.JPG
    dove2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 708
Then, why were there two of the same pattern? Also, their flight pattern was nothing like I've seen from a pigeon. They rarely flapped and went vertically up and down at times. Maybe another type of dove? It was like they were chasing after one another.

AmpelisChinito said:
Then, why were there two of the same pattern? Also, their flight pattern was nothing like I've seen from a pigeon. They rarely flapped and went vertically up and down at times. Maybe another type of dove? It was like they were chasing after one another.

Admittedly, I can't see any distinctive patterns on the tail - just a few shadows. Regardless, even if it did have this tail pattern the bird on the two photos is still a white Pigeon, i.e. a white version of the Rock/Domesticated Dove/Pigeon (Columba livia domestica). They are immensely variable, ranging from the "typical" mainly grey variant that quite resemble its ancestors, to white, cinnamon or blackish (and just about any combination of these and/or colour in between). There are even variants with fan-like tails or grotesque greatly elongated feathers around the legs or on neck or head - usually the results of extensive breeding by pigeon fanciers. Furthermore, what you describe is quite similar to the flight pairs sometimes engage in pre-mating (and this display seem to be rather widespread in the family as I've seen several species doing it - just like the bowing display which also seem to be pretty standard in the family). Anyway, as said, misjudging size is easy and anyone who's spend a bit of time birding has done it at some point.

Last edited:
Probably tumbler pigeons ..what you will have seen was them displaying to each other by tumbling ..but definately pigeons non the less

The nature center a friend of mine works at found a white Rock Pigeon (like the one in the photos) injured, and now he's in captivity. He was bred for food ("Squab"), must have escaped, and is now really nervous around humans. He's so big that they nicknamed him "Kong."

Definitely a feral pigeon. Your size estimate was more than slightly off. Just goes to show you how hard judging size really is.

overworkedirish said:
found a white Rock Pigeon (like the one in the photos) injured, and now he's in captivity. He was bred for food ("Squab"), must have escaped, and is now really nervous around humans. He's so big that they nicknamed him "Kong."

Appropriate name. The most common large pigeon raised for Squabs is a "King" and white is the typical color.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back