• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG Resale (1 Viewer)

bh46118

Is the price of the factory EDG refurbs the thing that keeps used values down on this series ? This mint pair of 10X42 went for $1225 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-EDG-10x42-Binoculars-/221503921013?pt=Binocular&hash=item3392a99b75 but an EL 10X42 WB Swarovski just brought $1625 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-EL-10X42-Binoculars-/301332367000?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=%252F1wFuGo2rpLJpAd9GxxsRX%252Bxmic%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It seems like the EDG would be a great way to go on a used Alpha binocular, especially the 8X42.

Bruce

Bruce,

If the binocular is indeed a Nikon Factory Refurb it would only come with a 90 day warranty from Nikon. All Nikon Refurbs come with a 90 day warranty so it doesn't matter if it is an EDG I or EDG II in that case. That would explain a very low price.

Other than that, on used Nikon Binoculars, Nikon's general warranty has always been rather obscure, but used binoculars seem to be covered and require a $25.00 fee.

Personally I would be careful on this one and make sure it is an EDG II. I don't understand why "e-bay requires" him to call it a 7562 which is an EDG I and which is almost certainly refurbished.

Product 7562 is the 10x42 EDG I.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Binoculars/EDG-10x42-Binoculars.html

Almost all of these will be refurbished.

Product 7567 is the 10x42 EDG II.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/EDG-10x42.html

They may not necessarily be refurbished.

The Nikon 10x42 EDGII is Allbinos highest rated 10x42.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-10x42.html

If the price for a used one is right these could be a very good buy compared to a Swarovski.

Bob

Last edited:
Even though the EDG binoculars and spotters are elite stuff, Nikon can't seem to give them away without steep discounts. I'm not sure if this is inadequate marketing or what. Because of this, the clear as mud warranty, or the clueless customer service people at Nikon, prices remain depressed from what I've seen. If a guy is bound and determined to keep one forever then I'd buy one. If not, you'll surely take a bath trying to resell it. There's a reason the companies with the greatest customer service and warranty (swaro and Leupold) are easy to buy and resell.

I think what is being asked is why does the Nikon EDG not hold it's resale value as well as the Swarovski Swarovision EL.

Here are what I think are some of the reasons (with somewhat of a US perspective).

1. Nikon does not market the EDG near as well as Swarovski markets the EL. More people in different markets are aware of the Swaro and have bought in to the image Swaro has created for the product.

2. Swaro has the reputation of having world class customer service whereas Nikon service varies around the world on what and how they will cover things.

3. Swaro has strong price controls over their products. It is much easier to find discounts on a new EDG. The average selling price of a new EDG can be lower than a new Swaro so that well be reflected in the resale price.

4. Swaro offers back room promotions to selling vendors that encourage the sales staff to recommend Swaro products over others. In my area, the sales rep almost always pulls out the green binocular when the customer asks for a recommendation.

5. The Nikon EDG is not readily available in stores compared to the EL product line. Other than some of the NYC camera stores, good luck in finding an EDG to demo here in the US. Lots of people are reluctant to buy the EDG because they have never seen one and do not know how good it is. Many do not want to order a binocular they have never used. Maricopa County (Phoenix metro area) has over 4 million people and I do not know of one store that offers an EDG, but I can find a Monarch within two miles. There are multiple stores in the metro area selling the EL. Even rual communities in the state have Swaros for sale.

6. Most important of all, Dennis constantly saying his EL is the "best binocular in the world" has a much stronger world wide impact than many of us ever imagined! :eek!: (Just joking, of course.)

Most birders and hunters are at least somewhat familiar with the Swarovski name in binoculars, but from my experience talking to people in the field, most have never heard of a Nikon EDG.

In my opinion, the Swaro EL and Nikon EDG are equivalent products, each having their strong and weak points. Which one to get depends on how those differences match up to the needs of the buyer. In my case, the final score for the EDG turned out to be the best match for me.

The good news is there is an opportunity to get one of the finest binoculars available in the EDG at a more affordable price. It is especially a great deal if buying a like new used model because the depreciation has already been taken.

Even though the EDG binoculars and spotters are elite stuff, Nikon can't seem to give them away without steep discounts. I'm not sure if this is inadequate marketing or what. Because of this, the clear as mud warranty, or the clueless customer service people at Nikon, prices remain depressed from what I've seen. If a guy is bound and determined to keep one forever then I'd buy one. If not, you'll surely take a bath trying to resell it. There's a reason the companies with the greatest customer service and warranty (swaro and Leupold) are easy to buy and resell.
I bought an EDGI 8x32 for $800 on Ebay and then I had trouble with the diopter and I sent it in to Nikon and they sent me a brand new EDG II 8x32 and it took forever to sell it on Ebay for $1100 when I sold it. EDG's have terrible resale. You can't give them away. People just don't want to pay over $1K for a NIKON. Swarovski's in people's minds are Mercedes and Nikon's are Chevy's and that is what they will pay for them. I would NEVER I repeat NEVER pay over $1200 for even the newer EDG II. You will get soaked! I am glad I got rid of mine.

Last edited:
I had a recent coating 10X42 SE here for a month to evaluate this summer. In the EDG 10X42 would I see roughly the same color rendition with more contrast and resolution and less CA ? For those who have owned or spent a fair amount of time with both the EDG and latest SV, what differences and similarities struck you as being the most noteworthy ? And now for that famous loaded question, :-O, which one did you think had the best overall image ?

I had a recent coating 10X42 SE here for a month to evaluate this summer. In the EDG 10X42 would I see roughly the same color rendition with more contrast and resolution and less CA ? For those who have owned or spent a fair amount of time with both the EDG and latest SV, what differences and similarities struck you as being the most noteworthy ? And now for that famous loaded question, :-O, which one did you think had the best overall image ?

I compared a new 10x32 EDG I to my older 10x42 SE over a period of weeks in the summer of 2010. Frankly, except for the smaller FOV of the SE and its larger exit pupil in the evening there was little if any difference between them optically. I also had to hold the SE to my eyes more precisely (MOLCET) to avoid its penchant for "kidney bean" blackouts. I gave a report on them here somewhere.

The only difference I saw between them of any note was while looking out from a ridge at Hawk Mountain, PA over miles of farm land on a brilliant, cloudless day about noon time. There was almost no haze except a minute amount at a great distance. When looking at farmhouses, barns and such a long way off it seemed to me that I could see a bit more detail on them with the EDG than with the SE. I attributed that to the newer coatings on the EDG.

Bob

I looked at both the EDG and the Swaro's at the UK birdfair recently. Unfortunately they weren't side by side, but I was still able to do a fairly good comparison. Basically I could find very little if any difference optically. I'm no optics expert, but found so little to choose between these (and the other big names - Leica and Zeiss) that the choice in the end came down to other factors, which were again minimal.

I already own one of the original 8x32 HG bins and have a love hate relationship with it which may also have influenced me subconsciously.

I received this today from Nikon in response to my question regarding warranty on used EDG binoculars should I decide to buy a pair.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 275
Uh-oh Bruce ...... flipper alert ?!! :-O

You aren't considering flipping your SV for the equal EDG are you? :cat: and pocketing a handsome $600 odd in the process !! :king: (a very handy deposit on that new SF ;) )

That just may repair the hole ripped in the fabric of the spacetime continuum when anti-matter Dennis flipped the other way :eek!: 3:)

Sounds like a plan :t:

Chosun :gh:

More than likely in addition to the SV, if I'm able find a pair at a really great price. If the EDG has the same basic color temperature as the SE, then I can't see my SV going anywhere, but without having looked through a pair I can't say for sure. Untill I get a chance to see an EDG in person, I'm afraid the spacetime continuum will remain damaged. After Dennis buys the SF, it may be irreparable.:-O

Uh-oh Bruce ...... flipper alert ?!! :-O

You aren't considering flipping your SV for the equal EDG are you? :cat: and pocketing a handsome $600 odd in the process !! :king: (a very handy deposit on that new SF ;) )

That just may repair the hole ripped in the fabric of the spacetime continuum when anti-matter Dennis flipped the other way :eek!: 3:)

Sounds like a plan :t:

Chosun :gh:

IMO the 8x32 SE had the best image compared to the 8x32 EDG II.

I looked at both the EDG and the Swaro's at the UK birdfair recently. Unfortunately they weren't side by side, but I was still able to do a fairly good comparison. Basically I could find very little if any difference optically. I'm no optics expert, but found so little to choose between these (and the other big names - Leica and Zeiss) that the choice in the end came down to other factors, which were again minimal.

I already own one of the original 8x32 HG bins and have a love hate relationship with it which may also have influenced me subconsciously.
The Swaro SV 8x32 has sharp edges ALL the way to edge of the field and the EDG II 8x32 does not. BIG difference. The Swaro's are slightly brighter also. I kept the Swaro. I don't get any RB with my 8x32 Swaro either.

People are clearly willing to pay for a desirable name, and Nikon sadly is not a desirable name, I recently said no to a mint just back from Nikon 8x42 EDG at SW Optics offered at just £699 because I have to replace all my windows next month.

I am amazed at what old Leica BA/BN`s sell for, often £600-700, lovely bins but well behind the EDG IMO, so the name counts it seems.

People are clearly willing to pay for a desirable name, and Nikon sadly is not a desirable name, I recently said no to a mint just back from Nikon 8x42 EDG at SW Optics offered at just £699 because I have to replace all my windows next month.

I am amazed at what old Leica BA/BN`s sell for, often £600-700, lovely bins but well behind the EDG IMO, so the name counts it seems.
Nikon in binoculars is associated with low end stuff. Think Monarch's @ $300. People don't expect to pay $2K for a Nikon and they won't but they will for a Swaro, Zeiss or Leica. If you want to lose your butt buy an EDG II and pay $2K. You lose $1K when you walk out the door of the shop. HaHa! Worse than a car!

I bought that Nikon EDG II 8x42 from SW Optics, Torview, back in February. It was refurbed like new, and since getting it, I've kind of lost interest in binocular reviews and forums because it ticks all the boxes for me in a mid-size bino. It is optically superior and brighter than my SE 8x32, obviously, and far easier on the eye. Stray light control is top-class. I'm no fan of Nikon as a company after their ditching the field scopes, failing to bring out a WA zoom, and trying to fob us off with the nasty-looking EDG scopes at 3k. Neither am I impressed with the killing off of the SE. I didn't like the EDG 8x32 I saw in a store, but IMHO they've nailed it with the 8x42. I prefer it to the SV 8.5x42 and SV 8x32 that I used to own. Possibly not quite as bright, but plenty bright even at dusk and I prefer the colours and stray-light suppression.

Last edited:
Sancho, glad you like that EDG, it really was as new, I feel the same about the 8x42. its such a complete performer.

Dennis, some people are even prepared to by a CL because of the Swaro name, I mean they can`t be buying one for the quality of the optics, can they ?!!

I would recommend that anyone interested in a refurbished Nikon read this thread, starting about post #6. Post #13 is definitive.

Unless they've changed their policy recently, the no-fault warranty is indeterminate at best. 90 days is all you get. Caveat emptor !!

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back