BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Brian Stretch Tuesday 19th February 2013 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2665348)
Glad you all saw it Brian...

Interesting re the Grimley bird. Is RMa Roger Maskew by any chance? He seems to have the 'Midas touch' when it comes to finding good birds.

It is indeed. He found the last confirmed Grimley Bittern as well (in Aug 2001), not to mention the White-rumped Sandpiper of course!

Brian

UW82 Tuesday 19th February 2013 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Stretch (Post 2665451)
It is indeed. He found the last confirmed Grimley Bittern as well (in Aug 2001), not to mention the White-rumped Sandpiper of course!

Brian

......and the bird on Castlemorton Common last year. Can I name it?

Des.

Brian Stretch Tuesday 19th February 2013 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2665455)
......and the bird on Castlemorton Common last year. Can I name it?

Des.

Oh yes, forgot about that one!

Brian

Birder Gladys Tuesday 19th February 2013 20:50

tonights report, only one pair of eyes unfortunatly mine
thin ice on the canal and meadow looked iced up in parts also,no confirmed sighting of Bitten tonight, a bird did fly for two seconds ,one third of the meadow down from usual spot if looking south at the right time but looked more like a coot in the air.
about 5.40 had 20 to 30 very fast and low flying birds heading toward westwood,gull size,long thin winged,but the speed of racing pigeons.Racing gulls maybe..8-P
stayed till 6.15pm tim

Birder Gladys Wednesday 20th February 2013 17:45

tonights report joined by hawkeye Mary
water still iced around edge of meadow
First she found a Pygmy Shrew under the felt piece,now named 'scooby' .we then had the usual show from the pied wagtails,Buzzard flew pass as did a Kingfisher,at 5.50pm mary shouted there he is! then said she saw two large wings and a large bird hop a small distance in the dark area.

Birder Gladys Thursday 21st February 2013 19:12

tonights report 4 of us there
arrived 5.20pm water no longer iced up in meadow,7 pied wagtails,water rail calling as usual,5.39 pm Bitten had a short fight landed in second further away dark area,best view of the bird so far,this bird is light breasted and quite light under wings,not light as the upton bird but not a dark bird.seen by all happy daze

Birder Gladys Friday 22nd February 2013 20:42

day 7 in the big meadow just me there
10 pied wagtails, 2 mute swans in the centre,large herion flew away,but no sign of bitten,:-C

you may find this interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc_b3ekYN0w

Woodchat Saturday 23rd February 2013 14:20

Yobs

3 Attachment(s)
This morning I caught a couple of arsonists red-handed.

They were starting a grass fire in the 'hay meadow' area of Droitwich Community Woods. In previous years this area and others have been devastated by similar acts of vandalism.

I made them put out the fire then I called the police - who caught up with them around Ladywood.

The pair were in their late teens / early 20's and were clearly complete scumbags with nothing better to do :C

Luckily the fire damage was small. They also left a complete mess - mainly discarded beer cans. Words fail me - the disrespectful B*****ds!!!

My real fear is that they will torch the reedbed in Coney Meadow - this has been done several times previously and at this time of year the reed-stems are dry and at their most vulnerable.

woodwolf Saturday 23rd February 2013 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2668462)

They were starting a grass fire in the 'hay meadow' area of Droitwich Community Woods. In previous years this area and others have been devastated by similar acts of vandalism.

I made them put out the fire then I called the police - who caught up with them around Ladywood.

The pair were in their late teens / early 20's and were clearly complete scumbags with nothing better to do :C

Luckily the fire damage was small. They also left a complete mess - mainly discarded beer cans. Words fail me - the disrespectful B*****ds!!!

My real fear is that they will torch the reedbed in Coney Meadow - this has been done several times previously and at this time of year the reed-stems are dry and at their most vulnerable.

Well done Dave.
It'a bad enough when kids do this, but you have to despair when young adults are up to it.
What pathetic vacuous pondlife :[email protected]

Mary Saturday 23rd February 2013 17:22

Quote:

Glad you're safe, Dave.

Woodchat Saturday 23rd February 2013 17:34

Thanks for that, Mary and Mark.

The Bittern showed again very briefly this evening at 6:05 - a very short flight in front of the screen. At least three Common Snipes flew out calling and a male Kestrel was hunting along the western edge. At least 150 pied wags roosted.Also today were two mute swans, coot, moorhen, coal tits, ravens, water rails, grey wagtail, meadow pipits, 9 redpolls, siskins, bullfinches, nuthatch, great spot and green woodpeckers.

wheatearlp Sunday 24th February 2013 09:25

Quote:

Nice work Dave, quite surprising they actually did what you told them. :eek!:

upstarts1979 Sunday 24th February 2013 10:27

Quote:

Well done Dave, its difficult not to get involved when you care about a place, as you well know with me and a similar incident at Upton. :t:john

Woodchat Sunday 24th February 2013 11:40

3 Attachment(s)
Cheers guys :t: - I just hope their brush with the law deters them sufficiently - somehow I fear that further fires are inevitable with a reserve so close to housing estates.:C

Back to more cheery things - this morning's session produced two year ticks for the patch - a Green Sandpiper and a Yellowhammer.

The Green Sand flew from Ladywood sewage plant to a damp, derelict field by New Mill Farm - see photos 1 and 2 below. This field shows a lot of promise for turning up passage waders and I will be keeping an eye on it through the spring - looks like it could be good for Gropper too.

The Yellowhammer flew over the setaside field near Salwarpe calling.

Also seen today, 2 Grey Herons, 2 Mute Swans, Raven, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, 100's of Fieldfares and Redwings, 200 Starlings, Mistle Thrush, Meadow Pipit, 2 Bullfinches and a Female Sparrowhawk.

A couple of small paddocks at Ladywood are covered with 100's of Yellow Ant hills (pictured) - must be heaven for the Green Woodpecker that was feeding on them.

So Far I have recorded 65 bird species on the patch this year. The total for February is 61.

Mary Sunday 24th February 2013 17:15

Is the field with the ant hills old ridge and furrow, Dave? Seems to have that look about it. If so, should be protected from the plough?

Woodchat Sunday 24th February 2013 17:23

The Bittern showed briefly again this evening just after 6 pm. 3 Common Snipes flew out.

Woodchat Sunday 24th February 2013 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary (Post 2669345)
Is the field with the ant hills old ridge and furrow, Dave? Seems to have that look about it. If so, should be protected from the plough?

Yes you are quite correct Mary - interesting that the ant hills are all on the ridges - drier I presume.

Grayman Sunday 24th February 2013 17:50

Quote:

Well done.o:)

Graham

keithr Sunday 24th February 2013 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary (Post 2669345)

The fields at the back of the road I lived in as a kid in Kings Norton were Ridge and Furrow.
Every now and then there would be a few cows in them - and stampeding down our road from time to time if they found a way out of the field.Apart from them the only other residents were....US.
We used the furrows as a "square" for cricket and as it was on a slope we bowled uphill and then if we played footie it was at 90 degrees to the ridges so there was no advantage for either "team".....we replayed the highlights of 1966 on here as well as playing out goals from faves like Georgie Best or Jimmy Greaves.

On a birding front I can still remember being buzzed during the high summer by "millions - he he" of Swallows,Martins and Swifts.........saw a bit of footage on countryfile the other week (awards show) and one farmer has reproduced a scene like this....magic.
It's a council (or maybe they bought them now) housing estate now.Later when I got into buying houses I had one that backed on to our cricket pitch...no Swallows etc but used to get a really brilliant variety of birds visiting so it seems they adapted quite well.....Oh there was a plus to the building of the estate as we had a Barn Owl turn up for a number of weeks - hawking the workings for disturbed voles etc.

Keith :t:

Birder Gladys Monday 25th February 2013 19:23

tonights report, three of us there
the gent who joined us tonight finally has his life tick albeit very dark,bitten turned up at 6.10pm short flight just left of the screen (left to right) this 6 out 8 nights for me now.:-O

upstarts1979 Monday 25th February 2013 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2669073)
Cheers guys :t: - I just hope their brush with the law deters them sufficiently - somehow I fear that further fires are inevitable with a reserve so close to housing estates.:C

Back to more cheery things - this morning's session produced two year ticks for the patch - a Green Sandpiper and a Yellowhammer.

The Green Sand flew from Ladywood sewage plant to a damp, derelict field by New Mill Farm - see photos 1 and 2 below. This field shows a lot of promise for turning up passage waders and I will be keeping an eye on it through the spring - looks like it could be good for Gropper too.

The Yellowhammer flew over the setaside field near Salwarpe calling.

Also seen today, 2 Grey Herons, 2 Mute Swans, Raven, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, 100's of Fieldfares and Redwings, 200 Starlings, Mistle Thrush, Meadow Pipit, 2 Bullfinches and a Female Sparrowhawk.

A couple of small paddocks at Ladywood are covered with 100's of Yellow Ant hills (pictured) - must be heaven for the Green Woodpecker that was feeding on them.

So Far I have recorded 65 bird species on the patch this year. The total for February is 61.

I bet there is a few jack snipe in the Dave.

Woodchat Tuesday 26th February 2013 07:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2670289)
I bet there is a few jack snipe in the Dave.

I was thinking the same, John. I might ask the farmer if I can have a walk around. I need Jack Snipe for the patch. :t:

Woodchat Tuesday 26th February 2013 19:21

The Bittern was reported earlier than usual this evening - per 'Birding Today':

"Bittern still just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow again flew over middle of reedbed to right of viewing screen at 5.07pm (Phil Bottom)."

upstarts1979 Wednesday 27th February 2013 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2670815)
The Bittern was reported earlier than usual this evening - per 'Birding Today':

"Bittern still just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow again flew over middle of reedbed to right of viewing screen at 5.07pm (Phil Bottom)."

That's no coincidence , ours also came out early c5.25 20 minutes earlier than Sunday, I dare say weather related.:t:

Birder Gladys Wednesday 27th February 2013 20:43

tonights report 4 of us till dark .First clear evening with sunset
arrived 5pm Raven chased off Buzzard over far field,c80 jackdaws flew away from WW,c100 pied wagtails roosted in south end of reed bed, at 5.45 they all flew up spooked by something not returning for some time,just before that around the same area a snipe flew.water rails called as usual.left at 6.15pm no sign of bitten during this time:-C