BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Saturday 9th March 2013 18:59

Superb close views of the Barn Owl this evening right by the screen - thanks to Neil, who spotted it first. No show for the Bittern though by the time I left - perhaps it's moved off - but will try again tomorrow.

Neil Duggan Saturday 9th March 2013 20:05

It was my first time at Coney. Barn Owls are always a pleasure to see. Really enjoyed the 100+ Pied Wagtails and local Starlings were showing off slightly earlier.

Cracking little reserve. Will be going again for sure.

Birder Gladys Sunday 10th March 2013 09:16

Grass Snake

2 Attachment(s)
just a couple of photos of a Grass snake gladys spotted last night.it was pretty dormant not a good idea with a hungry Barn Owl around.

Woodchat Sunday 10th March 2013 10:14

My first Chiffchaff of the year this morning by harford hill, Ladywood.

Woodchat Sunday 10th March 2013 18:37

No sign of the Bittern again this evening by the time I left at ~6:40 pm.

Highlights from this weekend as follows:

Barn Owl yesterday, Chiffchaff today, Water Rail showing well yesterday, 2 Lesser Redpolls, 25+ Linnets (near Ladywood), singing Skylark, Grey Heron, Siskins, 2 Ravens, Treecreeper, House Sparrows, Fieldfares, Redwings, Mistle Thrushes, Buzzards, Grey Wagtails, Goldcrests, Coot, Canada Geese, several Snipes, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

Birder Gladys Monday 11th March 2013 18:20

17.50 Very light snow covering and a cold wind.17.58 Barn Owl turned up hunting far side of reed bed heading north towards wood then stayed in that area for several mins, if you had been sat on the seat down that end it would of been perfect,c40 pied wagtails,water rails calling,started to snow again left at 18.25
No sign of bitten.,

Birder Gladys Tuesday 12th March 2013 20:00

2 Attachment(s)
arrived 17.40 someone walking a dog over far side of meadow,weather sunny but still very cold,c150+ thrushes in far northern field,c100 pied wagtails in for roost,sparrowhawk,buzzard and Barn Owl usual time and place.left 18.20 gladys to cold.
(Bitten no show during this time, 3 reported at upton)

Woodchat Thursday 14th March 2013 20:05

Bittern reported again per 'Birding Today' as follows:

"Bittern again just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow briefly in flight over reeds flew from left of screen to centre of reedbed at 6.19pm (Phil Bottom)."

It's obviously become even more elusive of late - but I'll be looking again over the weekend.

upstarts1979 Thursday 14th March 2013 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2682494)
Bittern reported again per 'Birding Today' as follows:

"Bittern again just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow briefly in flight over reeds flew from left of screen to centre of reedbed at 6.19pm (Phil Bottom)."

It's obviously become even more elusive of late - but I'll be looking again over the weekend.

Dave
I wonder if it was one of the 3 birds seen at Upton on 12thMarch. Perhaps it was frozen out and has now returned. They will be moving out soon, I think our bird went tonight. It got up high calling and flew off to he east just before 7pm.
B (:John

Woodchat Sunday 17th March 2013 18:57

Highlights this weekend:

300+ Linnets in stubble field near Porter's Mill, 2 Cormorants, 5 Mute Swans, 3 Chiffchaffs (1 singing), 3 Grey Wagtails, 3 Skylarks, Kingfisher, 2 Coots, 30+ Meadow Pipits, Siskins, 1 male Kestrel, Buzzards, 2 Ravens, Coal Tits, Water Rails, 20 Canada Geese, House Sparrows, Nuthatch, singing Treecreeper, 80+ Pied Wagtails, Snipes, Mistle Thrushes, Fieldfares, Redwings, Goldcrest and Grey Heron.

britsbabe Sunday 17th March 2013 19:13

I think I'm going to follow you....

[quote=Woodchat;2684515]Highlights this weekend:

300+ Linnets in stubble field near Porter's Mill, 2 Cormorants, 5 Mute Swans, 3 Chiffchaffs (1 singing), 3 Grey Wagtails, 3 Skylarks, Kingfisher, 2 Coots, 30+ Meadow Pipits, Siskins, 1 male Kestrel, Buzzards, 2 Ravens, Coal Tits, Water Rails, 20 Canada Geese, House Sparrows, Nuthatch, singing Treecreeper, 80+ Pied Wagtails, Snipes, Mistle Thrushes, Fieldfares, Redwings, Goldcrest and Grey Heron.[/]

What a great list of birds you've seen. :t: Methinks I'm going to have to follow you as I popped to Coney Meadow today and all I saw was a blackbird or two, Reed Bunting and a Mistle Thrush.

Woodchat Sunday 17th March 2013 19:19

[quote=britsbabe;2684530]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2684515)
Highlights this weekend:

300+ Linnets in stubble field near Porter's Mill, 2 Cormorants, 5 Mute Swans, 3 Chiffchaffs (1 singing), 3 Grey Wagtails, 3 Skylarks, Kingfisher, 2 Coots, 30+ Meadow Pipits, Siskins, 1 male Kestrel, Buzzards, 2 Ravens, Coal Tits, Water Rails, 20 Canada Geese, House Sparrows, Nuthatch, singing Treecreeper, 80+ Pied Wagtails, Snipes, Mistle Thrushes, Fieldfares, Redwings, Goldcrest and Grey Heron.[/]

What a great list of birds you've seen. :t: Methinks I'm going to have to follow you as I popped to Coney Meadow today and all I saw was a blackbird or two, Reed Bunting and a Mistle Thrush.

Hi Britsbabe,

It can be very quiet down there - especially in the middle of the day. It's generally hard work birding this patch - early starts, late finishes and a lot of walking. :t:

keithr Sunday 17th March 2013 20:49

[quote=britsbabe;2684530]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2684515)
Highlights this weekend:

You found it then......well done.
Yes this birdwatching is a lot harder "in the field"....hope the weather was at least bearable.I had a walk around the South Birmingham local spots and it was glorious sunshine but bitingly cold.

Keith

Duck_Pond Monday 18th March 2013 10:20

I popped over there on Saturday afternoon, between the showers. Highlight was a kingfisher which made a brief appearance before flying back up stream. Should have taken my wellies - so muddy!

keithr Monday 18th March 2013 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond (Post 2684913)
I popped over there on Saturday afternoon, between the showers. Highlight was a kingfisher which made a brief appearance before flying back up stream. Should have taken my wellies - so muddy!

Don't tell britsbabe that........Kingy that is....

Keith :t:

Woodchat Sunday 24th March 2013 05:31

Just flushed a Woodcock from droitwich community woods - gorsey bank - exactly same spot as in january.

Woodchat Sunday 24th March 2013 19:08

Lots of Meadow Pipits around today - several hundred birds in total plus increased numbers of Fieldfares and Redwings. Other species noted this weekend as follows:

Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Mallards, Moorhens, Pheasant, Common Buzzards, Grey Heron, Woodcock, Black-headed Gulls, Herring Gulls, LBB Gulls, Stock Doves, Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Starling, Dunnock, Wren, Chiffchaff, Robin, Goldcrests, Blackbirds, Song Thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Raven, Jay, Rook, Carrion Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Linnets, Greenfinch, Siskins, Bullfinch, House Sparrows, Reed Buntings.

Woodchat Friday 29th March 2013 10:32

Beautiful sunny morning - if a bit chilly.

A year tick was provided by a pair of Greylags that flew over Coney. However, the highlight was a Green Sandpiper in the damp field by New Mill Farm, Ladywood. It flew out calling and headed towards Salwarpe. A couple of Snipe in there too.

At least 4 Chiffchaffs (2 singing) plus most of the usual stuff too.

Woodchat Saturday 30th March 2013 09:51

Two Green Sandpipers this morning flew from the sewage works to the partially flooded field by New Mill Farm, Ladywood. Three Snipes flew out calling. 3+ Chiffchaffs singing on my circular walk.

Woodchat Sunday 31st March 2013 11:16

Red Kite over Porter's Mill - a patch tick for me!

Woodchat Sunday 31st March 2013 20:17

2 Attachment(s)
A very productive day today. The highlight being the Red Kite - I first picked it up flying low over the small fishing pool just west of Porter's Mill. It circled up and gained height and then drifted off due north-east. I took a couple of freehand photos (attached) but they are terrible - the bird just appears as a speck!

Other highlights included a pair of Yellowhammers in flight (calling) over the field behind the allotments in Droitwich Community Woods (this area used to be good for this species) and the Barn Owl hunted over Coney Meadow again this evening. Several Snipes flew out calling. 5+ Chiffchaffs present this morning.

The patch year list moves on to 69 species, with 65 recorded in March as follows:

1 Mute Swan 23 Wood Pigeon 45 Blue Tit
2 Canada Goose 24 Collared Dove 46 Long-tailed Tit
3 Greylag Goose 25 Barn Owl 47 Nuthatch
4 Mallard 26 Green Woodpecker 48 Treecreeper
5 Pheasant 27 Great Spotted Woodpecker 49 Magpie
6 Cormorant 28 Kingfisher 50 Jay
7 Grey Heron 29 Skylark 51 Jackdaw
8 Bittern 30 Meadow Pipit 52 Rook
9 Red Kite 31 Grey Wagtail 53 Carrion Crow
10 Common Buzzard 32 Pied Wagtail 54 Raven
11 Sparrowhawk 33 Dunnock 55 Starling
12 Kestrel 34 Robin 56 House Sparrow
13 Water Rail 35 Song Thrush 57 Chaffinch
14 Coot 36 Fieldfare 58 Linnet
15 Moorhen 37 Redwing 59 Lesser Redpoll
16 Green Sandpiper 38 Mistle Thrush 60 Goldfinch
17 Common Snipe 39 Blackbird 61 Greenfinch
18 Woodcock 40 Chiffchaff 62 Siskin
19 Black-headed Gull 41 Goldcrest 63 Bullfinch
20 Herring Gull 42 Wren 64 Yellowhammer
21 Lesser Black-backed Gull 43 Great Tit 65 Reed Bunting
22 Stock Dove 44 Coal Tit

A notable absentee this month being Blackcap.

Birder Gladys Monday 1st April 2013 09:45

good count for a cold March,with some nice unexpected..ish spottings.roll on April.

what's the annual cout so far?

Woodchat Monday 1st April 2013 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2695485)
good count for a cold March,with some nice unexpected..ish spottings.roll on April.

what's the annual cout so far?

April started reasonably well, despite the cold weather - I recorded 59 species on the patch today. Two pairs of Teal feeding on the partially flooded field near New Mill Farm were a patch year-tick - this pushes the year list on to 70. The Teal were flushed onto the Salwarpe by a dog walker - but they soon returned.

Plenty of Redpolls (12+) and Siskins still around, 6+ Chiffchaffs, 3 Snipe, Bullfinches, Water Rails, Grey Herons, Jays, Treecreepers, Nuthatch, Ravens, 2 Kestrels, Meadow Pipits, Linnets, Kingfisher, Stock Doves, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Grey Wagtails, Green Woodpeckers, Great Spots, 2 Coots, Mute Swans, Cormorant, Skylark, Redwings and Fieldfares.

The icing on the cake was the Barn Owl - absolutely stunning views this evening as it hunted just 5 metres from where I was standing - worth almost freezing to death for.

Just need a few summer migrants and a bit of warm weather now.

Woodchat Saturday 6th April 2013 08:24

Just flushed two Woodcocks from scrubby area between New Mill Farm and Harford Hill near Ladywood.

The only year tick so far this morning was a Gadwall over Coney Meadow.

Woodchat Saturday 6th April 2013 16:12

An Oystercatcher just flew over Coney Meadow calling - patch tick