BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Saturday 6th April 2013 16:53

A pair of Teal and a Green Sandpiper in wet fields by New Mill Farm.

Woodchat Sunday 7th April 2013 12:35

Highlights this morning:

A Little Owl perched outside its nest hole in a pollarded Oak in Ladywood, a Green Sandpiper flew along the Salwarpe towards its usual feeding area near New Mill Farm, a male Yellowhammer flew over Chawson Lane and another flew over the canal near Porter's Mill. Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Buzzard, Grey Heron, 6 Jays, Ravens, 2 Snipes, 5 Chiffchaffs and all the usual stuff.

66 species recorded so far this month but no summer migrants so far (except Chiffchaff).

Woodchat Sunday 7th April 2013 20:41

December 2009 Stonechat Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Dave Hull sent me this photo of a Stonechat - taken at Coney Meadow on the 10th of December, 2009, when the bird frequented the rough area by the west gate.

I still need Stonechat for the patch and they have become much scarcer in Worcs as a whole following the recent run of cold winters.

Woodchat Wednesday 10th April 2013 20:26

A pleasant evening walk (relatively warm) but quite quiet, bird-wise. A female Kestrel was perched on the wires, 3 Grey Herons flew over, 3 Common Buzzards, Water Rails, 8 Common Snipes flew out calling, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, Raven and lots of Redwings (one singing).

A Pipistrelle was flying around and a chorus of croaking Frogs / Toads coming from the reedbed pools.

Woodchat Friday 12th April 2013 08:01

A couple of Sundays ago, I was struck by the appearance of a male (singing) Chiffchaff near New Mill Farm. It had very dark areas around its forehead / face. Looking on the Portland Bird Obs web-page this morning, one of the ringers has tweeted a picture of a very similar looking individual and described it as being very 'pollenated'. I didn't really know what this meant so I googled it and found another website that revealed it meant literally covered in pollen - and the pollen is derived from 'Mediterranean plants' that the birds have been feeding on. I guess this means that the individuals concerned are very fresh immigrants.

Has anyone else noted anything similar in Chiffchaffs / other migrant passerines?

Woodchat Saturday 13th April 2013 08:22

Singing Willow Warbler Sewage works area Ladywood plus Swallow. At least three singing Blackcaps earlier around Droitwich Woods and Salwarpe. That brings April's Species count up to 70 so far.

Unusually, a pair of Yellowhammers were hanging around Coney Meadow earlier.

A pair of Gadwall are on the flooded field, New Mill.

Woodchat Saturday 13th April 2013 17:57

Swallow numbers increased to 8 around New Mill later in the morning - plus 2 Willow Warblers in the area.

g.h.1 Saturday 13th April 2013 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2700173)
Dave Hull sent me this photo of a Stonechat - taken at Coney Meadow on the 10th of December, 2009, when the bird frequented the rough area by the west gate.

I still need Stonechat for the patch and they have become much scarcer in Worcs as a whole following the recent run of cold winters.

Yes, its a sad fact Dave, used to pick one or two birds up over my local area most years - but for the exeption of last years birds showing in the Chaddesley area it seems to be a bit of a "thing of the past" shame really a real little "cracker" of a bird.
Glenn

Woodchat Saturday 13th April 2013 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by g.h.1 (Post 2704741)
Yes, its a sad fact Dave, used to pick one or two birds up over my local area most years - but for the exeption of last years birds showing in the Chaddesley area it seems to be a bit of a "thing of the past" shame really a real little "cracker" of a bird.
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I think Stonechat has always had quite a tentative hold in Worcestershire - the climate seems to be right on the edge of what it can tolerate. Within my birding lifetime I think there have been a couple of population 'boom and busts' with this species. We are definitely 'bust' at the moment but I live in hope that a Stonechat population boom will happen again.

Woodchat Sunday 14th April 2013 07:39

Lesser Whitethroat singing along the canal between Ladywood and Salwarpe - I thought I heard one here yesterday - now confirmed.

Woodchat Sunday 14th April 2013 08:34

First winter Common Gull just flew over Coney Meadow.

Woodchat Sunday 14th April 2013 09:17

Peregrine just flew low over - a patch year-tick.

Woodchat Sunday 14th April 2013 18:24

Two more patch year ticks - a few Sand Martins and House Martins in a good-sized mixed flock of hirundines around New Mill - plus about 30 Swallows. Two pairs of Gadwall on the flooded field.

Woodchat Sunday 14th April 2013 20:39

Loads of Toads

5 Attachment(s)
Toads were very conspicuous today - along the canal, in the various reedbed pools and even along the various paths - I had to be careful not to tread on them. A few pictures of some of them plus a dead Badger I found in one of the fields.

36 Sand Martins roosted in the reedbed this evening plus 3 Swallows.

A full round-up of this weekends birds below:

Mute Swan (4), Canada Geese, Mallards, Gadwall (4), Pheasant, Cormorant (3), Grey Herons (3), Common Buzzards, Kestrel (2), Sparrowhawk (2), Peregrine, Moorhens, Coot, Water Rail, Common Snipes, Black-headed Gulls, Common Gull, Herring Gulls, LBB Gulls, Collared Dove, Stock Doves, Wood Pigeon, Kingfisher, Green Woodpeckers (4+), Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Sand Martin, House Martin, Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail (3), Dunnock, Robin, Song Thrushes, Redwings, Fieldfares, Mistle Thrushes, Blackbird, Blackcaps (5), Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler (3), Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, Wrens, Great Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Long-tailed Tits, Treecreeper, Magpies, Jays (8), Jackdaws, Carrion Crows, Rooks, Ravens (2), Starlings, House Sparrows, Chaffinches, Linnets, Goldfinches, Lesser Redpolls (3), Siskins, Greenfinches, Bullfinches, Reed Buntings, Yellowhammers (2).

Phil Andrews Sunday 14th April 2013 20:44

Any clues as to the cause of death of the Badger? :-C

Woodchat Sunday 14th April 2013 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2705592)
Any clues as to the cause of death of the Badger? :-C

It looked unmarked - I didn't get that close. A bit strange I must admit.

Woodchat Tuesday 16th April 2013 04:35

Grasshopper Warbler singing coney meadow this morning. The bird showed very briefly in the central rough grass area - east of the viewing screen.

Woodchat Tuesday 16th April 2013 07:50

As well as the Gropper, a quick walk around before work produced 40 sand Martins (roosted in reedbed), 2 House Martins, 2 Swallows, 2 Willow Warblers, a pair of Gadwall, 2 Snipes, 2 Ravens, several male and one female Blackcaps, Goldcrest and 2 Mistle Thrushes.

Woodchat Tuesday 16th April 2013 18:55

Sedge Warbler singing from reedbed. Gropper reeling again. Willow Warbler along the canal.

Woodchat Wednesday 17th April 2013 05:05

Cuckoo singing near Salwarpe. Grasshopper Warbler reeling Coney from 05:30 to 05:55 at least. 3 Sedge Warblers singing.

Phil Andrews Wednesday 17th April 2013 06:18

You're going to have to stop this sleep-walking Dave! ;)

upstarts1979 Wednesday 17th April 2013 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2706684)
Grasshopper Warbler singing coney meadow this morning. The bird showed very briefly in the central rough grass area - east of the viewing screen.

Dave are you on the early shift at work8-P:gn:
I will have to make the effort soon.
good finds mate;)

Woodchat Wednesday 17th April 2013 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2707494)
You're going to have to stop this sleep-walking Dave! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2707535)
Dave are you on the early shift at work8-P:gn:
I will have to make the effort soon.
good finds mate;)

As it's the best time of year, you've got to make the most of it ;):t:.

Before we know it, spring passage will be over. :-C

Not much else on my walk-around this morning - 3 Willow Warblers, increased numbers of Chiffchaffs, a couple of Swallows and a few singing Blackcaps - but it was miserable / drizzling.

the 40 or so Sand Martins left their reedbed roost just before 6am.

Woodchat Wednesday 17th April 2013 19:00

Reed Warbler singing Coney reedbed this evening.

Woodchat Wednesday 17th April 2013 19:06

Yellow Wagtail just flew over due west