BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Wednesday 17th April 2013 20:34

The hirundine roost increased to 120 Sand Martins and about 10 Swallows this evening. A Willow Warbler and a couple of Blackcaps were along the canal. A Sedge Warbler sang briefly - then the wind started to strengthen so I called it a day. I probably won't get down again until the weekend now.

Birder Gladys Wednesday 17th April 2013 20:43

spring

5 Attachment(s)
just some photos from tonight.

natterjack toads all over the canal,
large numbers of jackdaws.
dads finally got mussels (fresh water).

mistle thrush being very territorial by canal bridge,grey heron flying down salwarpe towards Ladywood,usual others seen and heard on quite a blustery evening

Woodchat Wednesday 17th April 2013 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2708033)
just some photos from tonight.

natterjack toads all over the canal,
large numbers of jackdaws.
dads finally got mussels (fresh water).

mistle thrush being very territorial by canal bridge,grey heron flying down salwarpe towards Ladywood,usual others seen and heard on quite a blustery evening

Hi Tim, Mary,

The toads are Common Toads. Natterjacks are rare in the UK and confined to just a few areas - mostly sand dunes on the coast these days - they are quite small and distinguished by a yellow stripe on the back. They also have a very loud distinct 'call'. The Natterjack has long been extinct in Worcestershire. :t:

Birder Gladys Wednesday 17th April 2013 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2708041)
Hi Tim, Mary,

The toads are Common Toads. Natterjacks are rare in the UK and confined to just a few areas - mostly sand dunes on the coast these days - they are quite small and distinguished by a yellow stripe on the back. They also have a very loud distinct 'call'. The Natterjack has long been extinct in Worcestershire. :t:

thanks Dave.we did look at some pictures before trying to id them,should have read up too ,all helps to our education..good job the heron didn't see them there are so many he could have trouble taking off.;)

Woodchat Thursday 18th April 2013 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2708091)
thanks Dave.we did look at some pictures before trying to id them,should have read up too ,all helps to our education..good job the heron didn't see them there are so many he could have trouble taking off.;)

No prob.

Just discovered that the last reported Natterjack Toad in Worcestershire (per WBRC) was reported between Hanbury and Piper's Hill - only a mile or so from where I was brought up. However, it was over 100 years before I was born!;)

Woodchat Saturday 20th April 2013 09:14

What a fabulous morning on the patch!!

A Muntjac Deer greeted me first thing at Coney - great views of it.

The Grasshopper Warbler was reeling by the east gate until 07:30 at least. Great views of singing Sedge Warbler and Cuckoo. At least one Reed Warbler singing from the reedbed too.
One Common Whitethroat singing in the meadow and another by the canal. A Lesser Whitethroat was singing again by Ladywood.

However, the biggest thrill for me was provided by a Red-legged Partridge which flew right in front of me whilst walking on the public footpath across fields between Salwarpe and Ladywood. - a long-anticipated patch tick!

Other birds seen were 7 Willow Warblers, 3 Gadwall, Nuthatch, Buzzard, Rook, flyover Redpoll, Swallow and countless Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. A great morning.

Woodchat Saturday 20th April 2013 20:19

1 Attachment(s)
A Cetti's Warbler called from the reedbed several times this evening - the first time I have recorded this species here.

A single Greylag Goose flew towards Westwood and about 100 hirundines had gathered by the time I left (8:30 pm). The Cuckoo showed a few times and was calling regularly.

Earlier, I had a walk around Porter's Mill where a Lesser Whitethroat was showing well (crap photo below) - possibly a different bird to the Ladywood one.

Three Reed Warblers at various places along the canal near Porter's Mill.

Good numbers of Butterflies on the wing - 3 Brimstones, 5+ Peacocks, 4 Commas, 3 Small Tortoiseshells plus Bumblebees (Buff-tailed, White-tailed) and a Tawny Mining Bee.

upstarts1979 Saturday 20th April 2013 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2709994)
A Cetti's Warbler called from the reedbed several times this evening - the first time I have recorded this species here.

A single Greylag Goose flew towards Westwood and about 100 hirundines had gathered by the time I left (8:30 pm). The Cuckoo showed a few times and was calling regularly.

Earlier, I had a walk around Porter's Mill where a Lesser Whitethroat was showing well (crap photo below) - possibly a different bird to the Ladywood one.

Three Reed Warblers at various places along the canal near Porter's Mill.

Good numbers of Butterflies on the wing - 3 Brimstones, 5+ Peacocks, 4 Commas, 3 Small Tortoiseshells plus Bumblebees (Buff-tailed, White-tailed) and a Tawny Mining Bee.

great record Dave. Hoopoe last year, maybe woodchat this year. or a flyover bee-eater. See you tomorrow at the mecca?:t:

Phil Andrews Saturday 20th April 2013 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2709994)

With two males singing at UW within the last week there has certainly been a movement of Cetti's in the county.

Woodchat Saturday 20th April 2013 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2710035)
great record Dave. Hoopoe last year, maybe woodchat this year. or a flyover bee-eater. See you tomorrow at the mecca?:t:

Should be down UW in the pm tommorrow, John - will text you. :t:

Woodchat Sunday 21st April 2013 21:07

The Gropper reeled for about 10 minutes this evening (about 8pm) by the east gate. Also seen today, 2 Cuckoos, 6 Willow Warblers, 4 Common Whitethroats, Lesser Whitethroat, 3 Gadwalls, Redpoll, 2 Ravens, Kestrel, Reed and Sedge Warblers and Water Rail.

Woodchat Tuesday 23rd April 2013 12:09

A 2 hour walk this morning around the patch (5am - 7am) produced:

2 Cuckoos chasing each other, 4 Gadwall, Reed and Sedge Warblers singing, 5 Common Whitethroats, Willow Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, 1 flyover Redpoll, Linnets, 2 Swallows, Raven, Rooks, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Reed Buntings, Bullfinch, Mistle Thrush, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Goldcrest, Kingfisher, Grey Heron and Buzzard.

i.e. nowt major - but you've got to keep plugging away!

Mary Tuesday 23rd April 2013 16:57

We took a walk to Coney 10-12ish this morning, but the cuckoos were playing hard to find :( Loads of butterflies though, 13 Small Torts at least.

Woodchat Tuesday 23rd April 2013 20:53

The Grasshopper Warbler sang briefly twice this evening around 8:40pm around the central area. Just 8 Sand Martins, 3 Swallows, a male Kestrel and a Grey Heron. Acro warblers and Water Rails were singing in the reedbed.

Woodchat Tuesday 23rd April 2013 21:06

Spring Migrant Arrival Dates 2012 and 2013

Comparing spring migrant dates for 2012 and 2013 in the Salwarpe Valley shows a bit of a mixed picture:

Chiffchaff 01/04/12, 10/03/13
Willow Warbler 02/04/12, 13/04/13
Grasshopper Warbler 28/04/12, 16/04/13
Sedge Warbler 19/04/12, 16/04/13
Reed Warbler 21/04/12, 17/04/13
Lesser Whitethroat 02/05/12, 13/04/13
Common Whitethroat 01/05/12, 20/04/13
Swallow 14/04/12, 13/04/13
House Martin 11/04/12, 14/04/13
Sand Martin 21/04/12, 14/04/13
Cuckoo 18/04/12, 17/04/13
Blackcap (singing) 10/03/12, 13/04/13

Sy V Wednesday 24th April 2013 15:41

Dave

Page 27 of the Bromsgrove Advertiser has an article on Coney Meadow. On 1st May a Dr Mark Robinson will lead a 2km walk giving expert insight into the species that live and visit the reed beds.
The walk will start at 10:30am from the Salwarpe Church Bridge Copcut Lane and will last about an hour.

Woodchat Wednesday 24th April 2013 20:34

No sign of the Gropper this evening. A Cuckoo called a couple of times in the distance, a pair of Gadwall flew over, Reed and Sedge Warblers singing plus one Common Whitethroat.

40 Sand Martins roosted plus 2 Swallows.

A Grey Wagtail flew over + 2 Pied wags. A Kingfisher flew up the river calling and a Grey Heron flew over.

Woodchat Thursday 25th April 2013 05:54

A cracking male Whinchat in scrub by canal between Ladywood and Salwarpe this morning. Two Grasshopper Warblers singing Coney Meadow from 05:25 to 05:35 at least plus Cuckoo. Whinchat is a patch tick for me.

Woodchat Thursday 25th April 2013 07:56

That Whinchat made my day. Other birds this morning as follows:

2 Grasshopper Warblers - one singing by west gate (heard again around 7am), one between the centre and east gate.
Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers, Willow Warbler, Cuckoo, 2 singing Lesser Whitethroats, 6 Common Whitethroats, 2 Swallows, Treecreeper, Reed Buntings, Cormorant over, 4 Gadwall, 1 Redpoll over, Raven, Canada Goose, Grey Heron, Linnets, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs.

Woodchat Saturday 27th April 2013 06:58

Male Whinchat in coney meadow by east gate this morning plus gropper reeling

Phil Andrews Saturday 27th April 2013 07:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2714570)
Male Whinchat in coney meadow by east gate this morning plus gropper reeling

Hopefully it will be a productive year for both species

Woodchat Saturday 27th April 2013 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2714576)
Hopefully it will be a productive year for both species

Let's hope so. :t:

A full round-up of species seen today:

Mute Swans, Canada Goose, 2 Gadwall, Mallards, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Coot, Moorhen, Pheasant, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Sand Martin, Swallow, House Martin, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail (3), Dunnock, Robin, Whinchat, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Blackcap, Whitethroat (8), Lesser Whitethroat (3), Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler (2), Willow Warbler (5), Chiffchaff, Goldcrest, Wren, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Nuthatch, Magpie, Rook, Raven, Carrion Crow, Jay, Jackdaw, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Redpoll, Reed Bunting.

The Whinchat was a different bird from Thursday - not quite as 'spanking'.

One of the Grasshopper Warblers gave a couple of snatches of song late afternoon.

Woodchat Sunday 28th April 2013 07:30

Garden Warbler along the canal near Salwarpe - singing and showing well.

Woodchat Sunday 28th April 2013 09:47

Tree Pipit just flew south east over Coney Meadow calling

Woodchat Sunday 28th April 2013 20:44

Two Grasshopper Warblers reeling again this evening (possibly 3 singing birds). One showed briefly but the views weren't particularly satisfying.

150 Sand Martins and 20 Swallows roosted in the reedbed. A Water Rail called. A Snipe flew out calling.

Species recorded today that weren't seen yesterday:

Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Long-tailed Tit, Garden Warbler (2), Tree Pipit, Coal Tit, Treecreeper.

A single Orange Tip and one Peacock were the only butterflies seen.

No sign of any Cuckoos this weekend.