BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Monday 29th April 2013 07:57

Good views of one of the Grasshopper Warbler this morning plus Cuckoo. A Garden Warbler sang along the canal again. All the usual species, including 4 singing Lesser Whitethroats plus 9 Greylags over Ladywood. Also, male Kestrel near Harford Hill.

Woodchat Monday 29th April 2013 21:15

Three Swifts this evening towards Westwood. 150 Sand Martins and 20 Swallows roosted again. Three reeling Grasshopper Warblers now.

Woodchat Tuesday 30th April 2013 21:03

Two reeling Grasshopper Warblers this evening. About 200 Sand Martins and 20 Swallows roosted.

87 Species recorded during April, as follows:

1 Mute Swan 30 Little Owl 59 Cetti's Warbler
2 Canada Goose 31 Barn Owl 60 Grasshopper Warbler
3 Greylag Goose 32 Green Woodpecker 61 Chiffchaff
4 Mallard 33 Great Spotted Woodpecker 62 Willow Warbler
5 Gadwall 34 Common Swift 63 Goldcrest
6 Teal 35 Kingfisher 64 Wren
7 Pheasant 36 Skylark 65 Great Tit
8 Red-legged Partridge 37 Swallow 66 Coal Tit
9 Cormorant 38 House Martin 67 Blue Tit
10 Grey Heron 39 Sand Martin 68 Long-tailed Tit
11 Common Buzzard 40 Meadow Pipit 69 Nuthatch
12 Sparrowhawk 41 Tree Pipit 70 Treecreeper
13 Peregrine 42 Grey Wagtail 71 Magpie
14 Kestrel 43 Pied Wagtail 72 Jay
15 Water Rail 44 Yellow Wagtail 73 Jackdaw
16 Coot 45 Dunnock 74 Rook
17 Moorhen 46 Whinchat 75 Carrion Crow
18 Oystercatcher 47 Robin 76 Raven
19 Green Sandpiper 48 Song Thrush 77 Starling
20 Common Snipe 49 Fieldfare 78 House Sparrow
21 Woodcock 50 Redwing 79 Chaffinch
22 Black-headed Gull 51 Mistle Thrush 80 Linnet
23 Common Gull 52 Blackbird 81 Lesser Redpoll
24 Herring Gull 53 Blackcap 82 Goldfinch
25 Lesser Black-backed Gull 54 Garden Warbler 83 Greenfinch
26 Stock Dove 55 Common Whitethroat 84 Siskin
27 Wood Pigeon 56 Lesser Whitethroat 85 Bullfinch
28 Collared Dove 57 Reed Warbler 86 Yellowhammer
29 Common Cuckoo 58 Sedge Warbler 87 Reed Bunting

The patch year-list moves on to 91.

Birder Gladys Tuesday 30th April 2013 21:55

impressive count for April,what's to look out for in May?
Enjoyed tonight just sometimes the birds name is how it sounds and the Grasshopper warbler tick that box, two of them singing clearly from 8.30pm,
As for the Willow warbler a neat tune in time I should get.thanks for the education Dave.
Just to note we had our first Bats of the year as we left, small and quiet fast.

Woodchat Wednesday 1st May 2013 08:01

Tim, Mary - the bats were probably Pipistrelles.

Three Grasshopper Warblers were reeling this morning around Coney Meadow. Two Cuckoos also - one seen and heard around Salwarpe and another around Ladywood. Three Lesser Whitethroats plus one Gadwall and most of the usual species.

Jason K Wednesday 1st May 2013 08:40

Three Groppers reeling! That's great news Dave. What's the maximum you have had at Coney in the past?

Woodchat Wednesday 1st May 2013 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason K (Post 2717546)
Three Groppers reeling! That's great news Dave. What's the maximum you have had at Coney in the past?

Previous maximum here is two reelers, although I have potentially seen up to four different birds in one evening. Higher numbers have been recorded locally at Oakley Pool SSSI - 5+ reelers there IIRC.

There are other sites along the Salwarpe that have potential to hold this species - I have planned to check them out in the next few weeks.

Woodchat Wednesday 1st May 2013 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2717345)
impressive count for April,what's to look out for in May?
Enjoyed tonight just sometimes the birds name is how it sounds and the Grasshopper warbler tick that box, two of them singing clearly from 8.30pm,
As for the Willow warbler a neat tune in time I should get.thanks for the education Dave.
Just to note we had our first Bats of the year as we left, small and quiet fast.

Birds to look out for on the patch in May include Spotted Flycatcher and Hobby (regular birds) plus it's a very good time of year to expect the unexpected. :t:

Woodchat Wednesday 1st May 2013 21:24

Took a walk around Porter's Mill this evening where a Cuckoo was singing. Reed and Sedge Warblers, Kingfisher, 2 Grey Herons, a couple of Swallows, Coot and 2 Noctule bats.

At Coney Meadow earlier, a Kingfisher, male Kestrel and a pair of Gadwall over.

Phil Andrews Wednesday 1st May 2013 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2717633)
Birds to look out for on the patch in May include Spotted Flycatcher and Hobby (regular birds) plus it's a very good time of year to expect the unexpected. :t:

The Spanish Inquisition? ;)

Woodchat Wednesday 1st May 2013 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2718008)
The Spanish Inquisition? ;)

NO-ONE expects that.................. I'll come in again.

Mark Robinson relayed that he found a female Slow-worm on site today during his guided tour.

Woodchat Thursday 2nd May 2013 04:58

Male Yellow Wagtail over Coney Meadow flew due north west. Three reeling groppers plus one non-singing bird showing.

Woodchat Thursday 2nd May 2013 19:56

Hobby over Coney Meadow.

Ravenwing Thursday 2nd May 2013 20:40

Lovely afternoon

1 Attachment(s)
First time we have been to Salwarpe church since our nephew's weeding. Lots of singing going on, Sedge and Reed, and we watched a Raven see a Buzzard off. We walked along the canal for a bit and got some great shots of this very vocal Reed Warbler

keithr Thursday 2nd May 2013 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenwing (Post 2718690)
First time we have been to Salwarpe church since our nephew's wedding. Lots of singing going on, Sedge and Reed, and we watched a Raven see a Buzzard off. We walked along the canal for a bit and got some great shots of this very vocal Reed Warbler

Blimey that must have been a birdwatchers wedding......what did they walk out the church to...Lark Ascending ?.......;)

Must have been a nice walk in all the sun.

Keith :t:

Woodchat Thursday 2nd May 2013 21:04

Quote:

First time we have been to Salwarpe church since our nephew's weeding. Lots of singing going on, Sedge and Reed, and we watched a Raven see a Buzzard off. We walked along the canal for a bit and got some great shots of this very vocal Reed Warbler

Great shot.

2+ Gasshopper Warblers singing virtually continuously this evening. Approximately 300 hirundines in the roost (mainly Sands), Cuckoo sang late on and a Hobby flying towards Westwood was a year tick.

10 Greylags flew over the meadow this morning.

Ravenwing Thursday 2nd May 2013 21:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I did mean wedding, I don't think they did much weeding !!!!
My brother in law also got married at Salwarpe 40 years ago and the place thankfully hasn't changed a lot !
More cheeky little Reed :-)

Woodchat Friday 3rd May 2013 07:49

A slightly quieter morning - Grasshopper Warbler sang quite well but didn't show very well (unlike yesterday) plus Cuckoo singing / showing well as I left. The Ravens were taking food back to their nest and a Gadwall flew over. The usual Warblers were singing (Sedge, Reed, Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs) plus a few Swallows.

Forgot to mention, I saw 2 Redpolls yesterday flying over calling - they seem to be hanging on late this year.

Geoff WORCS Sunday 5th May 2013 11:25

Hi Dave, Wayne and I managed to locate 3rd singing Gropper this morning.
Other species besides Garden Warbler pretty much as you have mentioned recently.

Woodchat Sunday 5th May 2013 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff WORCS (Post 2720484)
Hi Dave, Wayne and I managed to locate 3rd singing Gropper this morning.
Other species besides Garden Warbler pretty much as you have mentioned recently.

Excellent - glad they performed for you and Wayne.

I heard 2 Groppers today and saw one - the particulaly bright individual in front of the screen. Other birds seen today include 3 Greylags, Garden Warbler (2), Kestrel (2), Sparrowhawk, Buzzard (8), House Martins, Swifts (20+), 2+Cuckoos, Willow Warbler, Sedge and Reed Warblers, Ravens(3), Blackcaps, Treecreeper and Nuthatch.

Butteeflies included several Orange Tips, Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Small White and my first Holly Blue of the year.

Woodchat Monday 6th May 2013 06:43

Two Oystercatchers just flew up the Salwarpe Valley over Ladywood towards Droitwich.

Woodchat Monday 6th May 2013 08:16

Tree Pipit over Coney Meadow calling headed due north west.

Woodchat Monday 6th May 2013 11:43

Siskin just flew over calling. Two of the Grasshopper Warblers showed well ten minutes ago - seem to be a pair.

Woodchat Monday 6th May 2013 21:10

1 Attachment(s)
A Hobby landed on one of the telegraph poles in the newly-ploughed nearby 'setaside' field briefly then flew off. 250+ Sand Martins and Swallows roosted, a Cuckoo called and 3 Grasshopper Warblers were reeling this evening. Other birds seen this weekend included:

Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Greylags, Mallard, Gadwall, Pheasant, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Coot, Moorhen, Oystercatchers (2), Black-headed Gull, LBB Gull, Herring Gull, Wood Pigeon, Stock Dove, Collared Dove, Cuckoo (2) Swifts, Kingfishers, Green Woodpecker, Skylark, Tree Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Grey wagtails, Swallow, House Martins, Dunnock, Robin, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Garden Warbler, Blackcap, Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Grasshopper Warbler (4), Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Goldcrest, Wren, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Magpies, Jays, Ravens, Rooks, Carrion Crow, Jackdaws, Starlings, House Sparrows, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnets, Siskin, Bullfinch, Reed Bunting.

The Ravens now appear to have at least two grown-up young - one of which is fledged.

Lots of butterflies on the wing this afternoon - Orange Tips, Brimstones, Holly Blues, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Green-veined Whites, Small Whites and one Speckled Wood.

Record shot of a Holly Blue below:

toadoftoadhall Tuesday 7th May 2013 00:05

you will have to show me around this area one day, seems very busy.

paul.