BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Tuesday 7th May 2013 04:22

A pair of Shelduck just flew over heading south-west - a patch year tick. Two Groppers reeling.

Also this morning, Cuckoo, Nuthatch, Gadwall, Skylark, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Willow Warbler, Reed and Sedge warblers, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Canada Geese, Blackcaps, Linnets and Bullfinch.

Ravenwing Tuesday 7th May 2013 19:42

Whinchat

4 Attachment(s)
I walked around the reed bed area for over an hour at lunchtime and got these shots of a distant Whinchat on the reeds. I also got these pictures of a Warbler. It wasn't a Chiffchaff song and it didn't shound like a typical Willow but I guess that it what it is. I heard a Grasshopper but didn't see it, Alex

Woodchat Tuesday 7th May 2013 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenwing (Post 2722444)
I walked around the reed bed area for over an hour at lunchtime and got these shots of a distant Whinchat on the reeds. I also got these pictures of a Warbler. It wasn't a Chiffchaff song and it didn't shound like a typical Willow but I guess that it what it is. I heard a Grasshopper but didn't see it, Alex

Brilliant shots, Alex - good to see that Whinchats are still passing through - that's at least 3 records in this part of the Salwarpe valley this spring.:t:

No sign of the Whinchat this evening (but it's a large reedbed for it to hide in;)). All three Grasshopper Warblers were reeling this evening and one showed exceptionally well - typically, I didn't have my camera to hand though.

Similar numbers of hirundines to yesterday evening in the roost.

A change in the weather tomorrow could stir things up a bit.

Woodchat Saturday 11th May 2013 18:32

Loads of Swifts around today - 200+. Grasshopper Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Raven, Gadwall, Heron, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Reed and Sedge Warblers, Willow Warbler amongst the regulars.

Woodchat Sunday 12th May 2013 05:04

Tree Pipit Coney Meadow this morning plus Cuckoo.

Woodchat Sunday 12th May 2013 05:29

A pair of Shovelers and two Great Crested Grebes just flew over - probably from Westwood.

Woodchat Sunday 12th May 2013 20:54

A singing Garden Warbler in 'the thicket' part of the community woods this evening. 2 Grasshopper Warblers reeling in Coney Meadow. A few Swifts flying around (200+ earlier in the day) and the hirundine roost contained about 100 birds (80:20 Sand Martins : Swallows). Male Kestrel, Sparrowhawk and 2 Buzzards.

Duck_Pond Monday 13th May 2013 22:46

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to post this on here - took a while but managed a couple of pics of one of the groppers near the viewing screen.

Taken on Star Wars Day ;)

Woodchat Wednesday 15th May 2013 06:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond (Post 2727001)
Forgot to post this on here - took a while but managed a couple of pics of one of the groppers near the viewing screen.

Excellent shot Pete.

Ravenwing Friday 17th May 2013 18:12

Lots of Interest

3 Attachment(s)
We spent a couple of hours in the Coney Meadow area. Lots of action, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, Sedge Warbler, Common Whitethroat Cuckoo flying over and a Raven fight overhead ! No sign of the Groppers however - what is the best time of day to catch them ? is it just before dusk ? I am really keen to see one, Alex
1. Common Whitethroat
2. Sedge
3. Fighting Ravens

Woodchat Saturday 18th May 2013 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenwing (Post 2729995)
We spent a couple of hours in the Coney Meadow area. Lots of action, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Chiffchaff, Sedge Warbler, Common Whitethroat Cuckoo flying over and a Raven fight overhead ! No sign of the Groppers however - what is the best time of day to catch them ? is it just before dusk ? I am really keen to see one, Alex
1. Common Whitethroat
2. Sedge
3. Fighting Ravens

Hi Alex,

I've been in Norfolk for the past 5 days. Before I went away the Gropper nearest the viewing screen (the one photographed by Pete) was reeling and showing well quite regularly - mostly early morning but occasionally at other times. Evenings are reasonably good too.

I didn't hear one this morning (got down about 08:30) but had a pair of Cuckoos (first time this year I've heard the female's bubbling call) and a freshly fledged Mistle Thrush.

Woodchat Sunday 19th May 2013 21:03

One of the Grasshopper Warblers was reeling intermittently early evening. A pair of Gadwalls flew over and a pair of Cuckoos were showing very well for most of the day. More Cuckoos were around Ladywood and Porter's Mill earlier. Other species recorded this weekend included Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Water Rail, Grey Heron, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Raven (2 adults and 4+ fledged young), Mistle Thrush (adults and freshly fledged young), Willow Warbler, Chiffchaffs (including fledged juvs), Common Whitethroats, Lesser Whitethroats, Mute Swans (including 2 broods of cygnets), Grey Wagtail, 50+ Swifts, House Martins, Sand Martins (20+ in the roost this evening), Stock Doves, Swallows, Blackcaps, Linnets, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Chaffinches, House Sparrows, Herring Gulls, LBB Gulls, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers, Coot (2 adults + chicks) and Reed Buntings.

A Muntjac was in a field near Ladywood.

Insects on the wing included Brimstones, Orange Tips, Holly Blues, Green-veined and Large Whites, Peacocks, Speckled Woods, Small Tortoiseshells and one Beautiful Demoiselle.

Woodchat Monday 20th May 2013 20:15

Two Common Terns just flew over Coney Meadow.

Woodchat Monday 20th May 2013 21:29

A Grasshopper Warbler sang again briefly just before dusk. A pair of Gadwalls flew over and a Kestrel hunted in the meadow earlier. The hirundine roost numbered more than 100 this evening.

Woodchat Tuesday 21st May 2013 20:08

Hobby over Coney heading towards Westwood. Lesser Whitethroat singing, two Gadwall and Cuckoo earlier. Hirundines starting to gather.

Woodchat Saturday 25th May 2013 20:04

A Grasshopper Warbler was reeling late afternoon. Two Grey Wagtails around the canal bridge plus another at Porter's Mill and a couple of Lesser Whitethroats during the day.

Insects included Large Red Damselfly, Blue Tailed Damselfly, Orange Tips, Speckled Woods, Green veined Whites and Peacocks.

Woodchat Sunday 26th May 2013 06:57

A pair of Tufted Ducks just landed in the reedbed pool - a year tick for the patch.

Joeturner11 Sunday 26th May 2013 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond (Post 2727001)

Lovely Crisp Image!!

Woodchat Monday 27th May 2013 15:01

Red Kite just circled over Coney Meadow then drifted south.

Woodchat Monday 27th May 2013 20:21

Highlights from the Bank Holiday weekend:

Mute Swan - pair with seven cygnets Porter's Mill
Canada Goose - Two flocks (10 + 17) yesterday plus one or two singles
Mallards
Gadwall - flock of 4 yesterday, 1 today
Tufted Duck - a scarce visitor to the patch so yesterday's pair was a year-tick
Pheasant
Cormorant - one yesterday was a 'month-tick' for May
Heron - 2-3 hanging around the valley
Red Kite - One circling over Coney Meadow this afternoon for 5 minutes
Buzzard - up to 5 most days
Sparrowhawk - a female yesterday and a male today
Kestrel - a male hanging around all weekend
Moorhen - several with chicks
Coot - one pair with chicks at Porter's Mill fishing pool
Black-headed Gull - a couple of adults over
Herring Gull - flyovers frequent + several feeding at the sewage works
LBB Gull - frequent overhead
Stock Dove - several birds still singing around Salwarpe
Woodpigeon - abundant everywhere
Collared Dove - several around the villages
Cuckoo - peak count of 5 birds today (2 males, 3 females) - the female bubbling call heard frequently. Females often perching on hedges and wires looking intently over reeds
Swift - very good numbers present, especially yesterday (~200)
Kingfisher - frequently heard. One perched along the canal yesterday giving great views
Green Woodpecker - yaffling heard
G S Woodpecker - several seen in flight
Skylark - singing over adjacent fields
Swallow - small groups encountered frequently
House Martin - present around Porter's Mill, Ladywood and Salwarpe.
Pied Wagtail - a few flyover birds
Grey Wagtail - breeding pairs present around Porter's Mill and Salwarpe
Dunnock
Robin - fledged juv seen
Song Thrush - juvs present
Blackbird - all over the place
Mistle Thrush - starting to sing again - 2nd brood?
Garden Warbler - a singing male in the hedgerow in Coney this morning
Blackcap - all over the place
Common Whitethroat - very common all over again this year (3+ pairs in Coney)
Lesser Whitethroat - 2 singing birds + 1 non-singing bird seen yesterday
Sedge Warbler - singing less frequently now but often seen
Reed Warbler - loads of them, singing frequently
Grasshopper Warbler - 2 males still reeling occasionally (early morning and late afternoon / early evening most frequent)
Willow Warbler - one still holding territory and singing continuously just west of Salwarpe along the canal.
Chiffchaff - common all over
Goldcrest - several around, singing frequently
Wren - feeding young
Great Tit and Blue Tit - common all over
Long-tailed Tits - freshly fledged youngsters near New Mill today
Nuthatch - frequently seen around its nest site
Treecreeper - singing frequently
Magpie - freshly fledged juveniles near New Mill
Jay - singles and pairs noted
Jackdaw - several pairs in churchyard visiting nest holes with screaming young
Rook - 3+ juvenile fledgings around the Pylon rookery
Carrion Crow
Raven - 2 adults and 3 fledged juvs around their nesting tree
Starlings - several groups over
House Sparrow - commonly seen wherever there are habitations
Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch - commonly encountered
Bullfinch - just one or two seen
Reed Bunting - lots constantly flying in and out of the reedbed

Also seen - Silver-ground Carpet Moth, Large Red Damselflies, Blue-tailed Damselflies, Brimstones, Orange Tips, Peacocks, Speckled Woods, Green-veined Whites, Large Whites and Holly Blues.

No sign of any Spotted Flycatchers yet - they are either very late this year (they returned on the 12th May last year) or they have abandoned the area. Having said that, they bred successfully three years ago and I didn't even discover them until the young had fledged. I think it all depends on the exact location of their nest site as to how visible they appear early in the season.

Woodchat Thursday 30th May 2013 21:37

This evening's highlights:

Grasshopper Warbler reeling, male Cuckoo, Hobby, Kestrel, Gadwall, Reed and Sedge Warblers. A Noctule bat was catching insects over Droitwich Community Woods and several Pipistrelles were around Salwarpe.

The roost contained about 40 Swallows and 10 Sand Martins.

Woodchat Friday 31st May 2013 05:08

At last!!! - Spotted Flycatcher just west of Salwarpe village. They're very late this year.

also, 3 Cuckoos perched on wires in Coney Meadow (1 male, 2 females), Gadwall (male) over and Kingfisher.

Woodchat Friday 31st May 2013 18:04

As May draws to a close, the patch year-total increases to 98 bird species.

81 species were recorded during May as follows:

1 Mute Swan 28 Collared Dove 55 Chiffchaff
2 Canada Goose 29 Common Cuckoo 56 Willow Warbler
3 Greylag Goose 30 Green Woodpecker 57 Goldcrest
4 Shelduck 31 Great Spotted Woodpecker 58 Spotted Flycatcher
5 Mallard 32 Common Swift 59 Wren
6 Gadwall 33 Kingfisher 60 Great Tit
7 Shoveler 34 Skylark 61 Coal Tit
8 Tufted Duck 35 Swallow 62 Blue Tit
9 Pheasant 36 House Martin 63 Long-tailed Tit
10 Great Crested Grebe 37 Sand Martin 64 Nuthatch
11 Cormorant 38 Tree Pipit 65 Treecreeper
12 Grey Heron 39 Grey Wagtail 66 Magpie
13 Red Kite 40 Pied Wagtail 67 Jay
14 Common Buzzard 41 Yellow Wagtail 68 Jackdaw
15 Sparrowhawk 42 Dunnock 69 Rook
16 Kestrel 43 Whinchat 70 Carrion Crow
17 Hobby 44 Robin 71 Raven
18 Water Rail 45 Song Thrush 72 Starling
19 Coot 46 Mistle Thrush 73 House Sparrow
20 Moorhen 47 Blackbird 74 Chaffinch
21 Oystercatcher 48 Blackcap 75 Linnet
22 Black-headed Gull 49 Garden Warbler 76 Lesser Redpoll
23 Herring Gull 50 Common Whitethroat 77 Goldfinch
24 Lesser Black-backed Gull 51 Lesser Whitethroat 78 Greenfinch
25 Common Tern 52 Reed Warbler 79 Siskin
26 Stock Dove 53 Sedge Warbler 80 Bullfinch
27 Wood Pigeon 54 Grasshopper Warbler 81 Reed Bunting

Woodchat Saturday 1st June 2013 17:12

Spotted Flycatcher (singing) today - same place as yesterday. Also Kingfisher, 3 Grey Wagtails, Grey Heron, Willow Warbler, male Kestrel, several Buzzards, Whitethroats, Reed Warblers, lots of Swifts, House Martin, Coots (pair with chicks), Blackcaps and singing Mistle Thrush.

300+ Starlings near Ladywood (many juveniles).

Lots of insects about - Brimstone, Orange Tips, Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Speckled Woods, Large Whites, Green-veined Whites, lots of Beautiful Demoiselles and Large Red Damselflies, Azure Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselflies and one teneral Broad-bodied Chaser.

Woodchat Sunday 2nd June 2013 21:48

Four Spotted Chaser??

2 Attachment(s)
I think the first photo is a Four-spotted Chaser. I'd be grateful if someone (Des?) could confirm this as it would be a first record for Coney Meadow. Cheers.

The second is a Beautiful Demoiselle (male).