BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Sunday 2nd June 2013 22:01

Birding highlights today:

Hobby hunting over Coney Meadow late evening
4+ Cuckoos (3 males)
2+ Grasshopper Warblers reeling - the bright male showed well early evening
Lesser Whitethroat
Garden Warbler
Willow Warbler
2 male Gadwalls
4 Canada Geese
ca. 20 Sand Martins in the roost with ~40 Swallows
Mute Swan - pair plus 7 cygnets
Bullfinch - pair
Kestrel - 3 (2 males, 1 female)
Sparrowhawk (female)
Treecreeper singing
Mistle Thrushes
Skylark
Grey Wagtails (2)
Kingfisher (2)
Sedge Warblers
Reed Warblers
Jay
Linnet
Ravens (3)
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gulls
Swifts
House Martins

63 species recorded so far for June.

Woodchat Sunday 2nd June 2013 22:10

Yellow Rattle

2 Attachment(s)
It's nice to see a few Yellow Rattle plants coming into flower in the meadow - photos below:

This is a typical flowering plant of traditional (unimproved) hay meadows. Not only is this an attractive plant in its own right, but it can also increase the floral diversity within the sward as it is a semi-parasitic annual - it suppresses the the growth of vigorous grasses and allows other flowering plants to get a foothold. Therefore, we are trying to encourage it to spread. So far I've only managed to find about 25 plants.

Brian Stretch Sunday 2nd June 2013 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2741874)
I think the first photo is a Four-spotted Chaser. I'd be grateful if someone (Des?) could confirm this as it would be a first record for Coney Meadow. Cheers.

The second is a Beautiful Demoiselle (male).

Hi Dave,

Definitely Four-spotted Chaser with those dark spots at the nodus of the wings :t:

Brian

Woodchat Sunday 2nd June 2013 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Stretch (Post 2741890)
Hi Dave,

Definitely Four-spotted Chaser with those dark spots at the nodus of the wings :t:

Brian

Cheers Brian - excellent, another patch tick!:t:

Woodchat Monday 3rd June 2013 21:36

Highlights this evening:

3 reeling Grasshopper Warblers (one showed reasonably well)
Cuckoo
Gadwall
Nuthatch
Pied Wagtail
Canada Geese
Common Whitethroats
Sedge Warbler
Reed Warblers

~25 Swallows and a few Sand Martins in the roost.

3 Banded Demoiselles
Orange Tips

upstarts1979 Tuesday 4th June 2013 14:51

Dave. Have you got a stand in while you are away;), it would be good to have some continuity .B (:john have a guden

Woodchat Tuesday 4th June 2013 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2743255)
Dave. Have you got a stand in while you are away;), it would be good to have some continuity .B (:john have a guden

Cheers. No official stand in, John - any volunteers welcome. ;) June can be a pretty quiet month (a good time to go away) - but the unexpected could turn up at any time.

Tonight's surprise bird was a singing Yellowhammer around the setaside field.

Other species included 2+ singing Grasshopper Warblers, 2 male Gadwall, 2 Cuckoos, Willow Warbler, Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers, Reed warblers, Mistle Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, 2 Ravens, Buzzard, Jay, a few Swifts and 30+ Swallows in the roost.

2 Fox cubs also seen plus a few pipistrelles.

Phil Andrews Tuesday 4th June 2013 21:37

When are you off Dave - I'm jetting out to Murcia a week today.

Woodchat Tuesday 4th June 2013 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2743640)
When are you off Dave - I'm jetting out to Murcia a week today.

Fly out to Antalya on Friday, back on the 21st June. Hoping for plenty of good birds and up to 25 lifers in Turkey if all goes to plan.

Murcia - is that a birding trip or family holiday? I guess there should be a few good birding areas in that part of Spain. :t:

Phil Andrews Tuesday 4th June 2013 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2743647)
Fly out to Antalya on Friday, back on the 21st June. Hoping for plenty of good birds and up to 25 lifers in Turkey if all goes to plan.

Murcia - is that a birding trip or family holiday? I guess there should be a few good birding areas in that part of Spain. :t:

Alledgley a family holiday that may just involve Marbled Teal, White-headed Duck, Moustached Warbler, Slender-billed Gull, Red-necked Nightjar, Western Olly Warbler etc etc

Birder Gladys Wednesday 5th June 2013 20:44

2 Attachment(s)
just a couple from tonight

Woodchat Wednesday 5th June 2013 21:17

1 Attachment(s)
Nice pictures of the Nuthatch, Gladys.

Another lovely evening produced the following highlights:

Spotted Flycatcher around Salwarpe village - one seen well, another one heard.
Oystercatcher calling (heard only)
Grasshopper Warbler singing
Cuckoo singing
Nuthatch
Common Whitethroats
Common Buzzard
Grey Heron
House Martins

On the way back home a couple of Fox cubs were playing again and I came across this very confiding Common Shrew - I think it was injured or sick as it virtually rolled over and let me tickle its belly!

Phil Andrews Wednesday 5th June 2013 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2744370)
Nice pictures of the Nuthatch, Gladys.

Another lovely evening produced the following highlights:

Spotted Flycatcher around Salwarpe village - one seen well, another one heard.
Oystercatcher calling (heard only)
Grasshopper Warbler singing
Cuckoo singing
Nuthatch
Common Whitethroats
Common Buzzard
Grey Heron
House Martins

On the way back home a couple of Fox cubs were playing again and I came across this very confiding Common Shrew - I think it was injured or sick as it virtually rolled over and let me tickle its belly!

Is that a puncture wound on its flank?

Woodchat Wednesday 5th June 2013 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2744382)
Is that a puncture wound on its flank?

Yes - looks like it - one of the Fox cubs probably did it I would guess.

Birder Gladys Sunday 9th June 2013 18:54

5 Attachment(s)
walking in the great mans foot steps,just keeping up records but if anyone thinks I'm going down before work you will have think again,
friday cloudy and coldish birds quiet and saturday sunny warm breeze 19.00 to 21.00 both days
Cuckoos jackdaws
Whitethroat Blackbirds
50+ Canada Geese Collar Doves
Swallows Blue Tit
Sparrowhawk (female) Mallards +4 Ducklings
Mistle Thrushes LBBG x2
Skylark Wrens
Sedge Warblers Chiffchaffs
Reed Warblers Pheasants
Jay C Crows
Ravens (5) Goldfinchs
Grey Herion L T Tits
Rooks Robins
G S woodpecker Water Rail (heard)
reed bunting Greenfinch
Chaffinch Nuthatch

LBBG very interested in duckings,Cuckoos more interested in each other, than flying into your head, Nuthatch had baby outside of hole,NO sound of grasshopper wabler during these times.

Birder Gladys Sunday 9th June 2013 18:59

2 Attachment(s)
bit of interest along tow path,looks like Badgers may have been molting/grooming but alot of fur around.

Birder Gladys Tuesday 11th June 2013 21:56

4 Attachment(s)
tonights report 19.00 to 21.00
parts of the tow path close off again either side of bridge

Cuckoos (male & female) jackdaws
Blackbirds, Collar Doves
Swallows, Blue Tit
Sparrowhawk
Mistle Thrushes, LBBG, Wrens
Sedge Warblers, Chiffchaffs
Reed Warblers, Pheasants, C Crows
Goldfinchs, Grey Herion, L T Tits
Robins, Reed bunting, Greenfinch
Chaffinch, Dunnock
Swifts, Grey Wagtail
Herring Gull, Morhen

Nuthatch looks like young have fledged so as crow from nest,fox in usual field

Birder Gladys Sunday 16th June 2013 08:48

went out a bit later last night to see the Badgers unfortunately due to the high vegitation they could only be heard (sounded like some play fighting going on) conditions cloudy and windy.
birds mainly heard last night
wood pigeon jackdaw
collar dove reed warbler
cuckoo spotted on dead tree left of the screen at coney
goldfinch magpie
grey heron 3 raven
swifts reed bunting
blackbirds morhen
blue tit pheasant
peregrine wren
swallows great tit
great spotted woodpecker
chiff chaff robin
LBBG x2 mallard

no Bats sighted was expecting a few?

Birder Gladys Tuesday 18th June 2013 21:44

5 Attachment(s)
just a quick visit tonight,down to coney only,very warm no wind kind of a thundery air,
not much difference in birds spotted or heard, did have a buzzard seen off by a raven and cuckoo turn up and sang just before we left.meadow grass now 4 to 5 feet high

Birder Gladys Friday 21st June 2013 21:09

brief visit tonight 20.00 to 21.30
highlights green woodpeckers,Kesteral hunting,grey heron high in dead tree far side,cuckoo calling and seen in same tree as photo,swifts,swallows and house martin ,buzzard chased down canal flying west by 2 crows, later 2 grey herons few down together in same direction,5 ravens in large tree,reed & sedge warblers,reed bunting in meadow,NO sound of grasshopper warblers.

Woodchat Monday 24th June 2013 11:10

Thanks Gladys for keeping up the coverage while I was away.

This morning, a Spotted Flycatcher was in trees by the canal bridge in Salwarpe village. Also seen were 2 Cuckoos, 2 Ravens, Grey Wagtail, Mute Swan, Moorhens, Sedge Wablers, Reed Warblers, 5 Common Whitethroats plus 2 juvs, Willow Warbler, Blackcap with juvs, Chiffchaffs, Grey Heron, 2 House Martins, Swallows, Swifts, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk carrying prey, Buzzards and Stock Doves.

Insects seemed pretty scarce but included one Common Blue butterfly, Beautiful Demoiselle and one Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Birder Gladys Monday 24th June 2013 21:48

hi Dave
hope you spotted all you wanted while on your hols,we had a variety of weather when you were away, have not heard a single Gropper down coney, we kept the basics ticking over,see you soon tim

Woodchat Tuesday 25th June 2013 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2759484)
hi Dave
hope you spotted all you wanted while on your hols,we had a variety of weather when you were away, have not heard a single Gropper down coney, we kept the basics ticking over,see you soon tim

Hi Tim,

Got some good stuff in Turkey - over 200 species including 26 lifers for me (Brown Fish Owl, Pallid Scops Owl, Radde's Accentor, Caspian Snowcock, Iraq Babbler, Mongolian Finch, Grey Necked Bunting etc. etc.)

Re Grasshopper Warblers - they normally go quiet at this time of year. If we are lucky, they may start reeling again in July if/when they have second broods. :t:

Woodchat Tuesday 25th June 2013 22:10

This evening's birds included 2 Kestrels, a Cuckoo, Grey Heron, 3 Common Whitethroats, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, Reed and Sedge Warblers, Willow Warbler, Buzzard, Black-headed Gull, 3 Herring Gulls, 2 Great Spotted and one Green Woodpecker. About 200 Sand Martins and 50 Swallows roosted - incredible for this time of year.

Mammals included 10 Noctules, several Pipistrelles and a Bank Vole.

Woodchat Monday 1st July 2013 10:01

Birds recorded this weekend included Cuckoo, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, 3 Ravens, Nuthatch, Grey Heron, Grey wagtail, Reed Buntings and the usual warblers.

The few butterflies around included 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 3 Speckled Woods and 4 Meadow Browns.

68 bird species were recorded on the patch during June.