BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

Woodchat Wednesday 3rd July 2013 21:39

About 150 Sand Martins roosted this evening - including a very pale leucistic individual. Also about 100 Swallows including a few juveniles. Other birds included Raven, Kestrel, female Cuckoo, Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Reed and Sedge Warblers, Grey Heron, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers plus loads of Swifts.

About half a dozen Noctules at dusk and a few pipistrelles.

Also my first Ringlet of the year.

Woodchat Sunday 7th July 2013 20:42

Birds this weekend:

Spotted Flycatcher singing near Salwarpe village this morning.
Cuckoo
Sparrowhawk
Buzzards
Ravens
Female Tufted Duck and 2 juv Coots on fishing pool near Porter's mill
Grey Wagtails
Adult Common Gull over Coney Meadow this evening
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
2 Coal Tits gorsey bank
Grey Herons
Black-headed Gulls
Sedge Warblers
Reed Warblers
2 Skylarks
Swallows with juvs
House Martins
Sand Martins
Swifts
Whitethroats
Reed Buntings
Blackcaps
Kingfisher near Salwarpe yesterday
Chiffchaffs
Stock Doves

Good numbers of Butterflies this weekend, including:

Marbled Whites
Ringlets
Meadow Browns
Common Blues
Small Skippers
Large Skippers
Small Tortoiseshells
Comma

Also, a large emergence of Six-spot Burnet moths plus Silver Y's and Blue-tailed Damselflies.

Woodchat Monday 8th July 2013 20:01

Juvenile Yellow Wagtail coney meadow first on wires then flew over reedbed calling. Now perched back up on telegraph wires. Great views but no camera!!!!

Over a dozen Marbled Whites in the grassland areas of Droitwich Community Woods earlier.

Woodchat Tuesday 9th July 2013 07:54

Also present yesterday evening:

Cuckoo, Mistle Thrush, 2 Ravens, 250+ hirundines (Swallows and Sand Martins)roosted, Buzzard, Green Woodpecker, Stock Dove, ~40 Swifts, House Martins and Grey Heron.

A stream of Black-headed Gulls towards Westwood at dusk plus 4 Commic Terns (Sterna sp.) flew over High Park in that direction. They were almost definitely Common Terns (at this time of year) but, unfortunately, they were just silhouettes.

Also, Noctules and Pipistrelles at dusk.

Woodchat Wednesday 10th July 2013 20:12

Hobby near Salwarpe Village this evening plus Cuckoo again.

Hobby now pursuing the hirundines over Coney Meadow.

Woodchat Thursday 11th July 2013 22:08

3 Attachment(s)
For once, the birds were outshone (literally) by the insects - or, at least, one insect in particular. As I was walking back at dusk along gorsey bank (Droitwich Community Woods) I noticed a soft green light coming from a patch of grass - a female Glowworm!! I'm totally chuffed to see one of these so close to home - the last time I saw one was back in the late 1980's along the Droitwich canal near Porter's Mill - about 2 miles from here. I took a few photos - see below - but they don't really show much detail -just the bioluminescence.

Other insects included lots of Burnet Moths - I now think these are probably Narrow-bordered Five Spots (having seen some recent photos taken by others). The photo below was taken a couple of days ago.

Double figures of Marbled Whites and Ringlets again plus a few Meadow Browns, Small Tortoiseshells and a Large Skipper.

A Southern Hawker was seen tonight (first one this year) and a Brown Hawker 2 days ago - plus Banded Demoiselle and Common Blue Damselfly seen this week.

Birds tonight included Lesser Whitethroat between Salwarpe and Ladywood, Cuckoo, Long-tailed Tits, Reed and Sedge Warblers, Grey Heron, juvenile Chiffchaffs, plenty of Swifts and the usual hirundine roost (300+ Swallows and Sand Martins).

UW82 Thursday 11th July 2013 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2772075)
For once, the birds were outshone (literally) by the insects - or, at least, one insect in particular. As I was walking back at dusk along gorsey bank (Droitwich Community Woods) I noticed a soft green light coming from a patch of grass - a female Glowworm!! I'm totally chuffed to see one of these so close to home - the last time I saw one was back in the late 1980's along the Droitwich canal near Porter's Mill - about 2 miles from here. I took a few photos - see below - but they don't really show much detail -just the bioluminescence.

Other insects included lots of Burnet Moths - I now think these are probably Narrow-bordered Five Spots (having seen some recent photos taken by others). The photo below was taken a couple of days ago.

Double figures of Marbled Whites and Ringlets again plus a few Meadow Browns, Small Tortoiseshells and a Large Skipper.

A Southern Hawker was seen tonight (first one this year) and a Brown Hawker 2 days ago - plus Banded Demoiselle and Common Blue Damselfly seen this week.

Birds tonight included Lesser Whitethroat between Salwarpe and Ladywood, Cuckoo, Long-tailed Tits, Reed and Sedge Warblers, Grey Heron, juvenile Chiffchaffs, plenty of Swifts and the usual hirundine roost (300+ Swallows and Sand Martins).

It's good to see there are plenty of Marbled Whites Dave, they appear to have been wiped out at Upton.

Des.

Woodchat Thursday 11th July 2013 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2772126)
It's good to see there are plenty of Marbled Whites Dave, they appear to have been wiped out at Upton.

Des.

There are literally clouds of them in one area near the bypass (Roman Way) - I put up about 15 of them as I walked through there. It's not even a particularly attractive part of the patch (on the face of it) but they really seem to like it for some reason.

That's a shame re the Upton colony - hopefully they'll re-establish before too long.

I also saw quite a few Marbled Whites on Sunday around the Earl's Common / Grafton Flyford area - where I normally see them most years.

Woodchat Sunday 14th July 2013 21:49

At least 8 glowing female Glowworms present at Droitwich Community Woods this evening.

My first Essex Skipper of the year yesterday. Plenty of Large and Small Skippers, Marbled Whites, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Small Tortoiseshells, Speckled Wood and Green-veined Whites. Also Brown Hawkers, Beautiful Demoiselles and Blue-tailed Damsel.

Also Marsh Frog at Porters Mill fishing pool and Common Toad in Droitwich Woods.

Fairly quiet on the bird front - the normal warblers, Grey Wagtail, Heron and Hirundine roost.

upstarts1979 Monday 15th July 2013 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2772132)
There are literally clouds of them in one area near the bypass (Roman Way) - I put up about 15 of them as I walked through there. It's not even a particularly attractive part of the patch (on the face of it) but they really seem to like it for some reason.

That's a shame re the Upton colony - hopefully they'll re-establish before too long.

I also saw quite a few Marbled Whites on Sunday around the Earl's Common / Grafton Flyford area - where I normally see them most years.

Hi Dave/Des
we had 4 marbled white at the Flashes 12th July.B (:john

upstarts1979 Monday 15th July 2013 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2773877)
At least 8 glowing female Glowworms present at Droitwich Community Woods this evening.

My first Essex Skipper of the year yesterday. Plenty of Large and Small Skippers, Marbled Whites, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Small Tortoiseshells, Speckled Wood and Green-veined Whites. Also Brown Hawkers, Beautiful Demoiselles and Blue-tailed Damsel.

Also Marsh Frog at Porters Mill fishing pool and Common Toad in Droitwich Woods.

Fairly quiet on the bird front - the normal warblers, Grey Wagtail, Heron and Hirundine roost.

Great about the glowworms, have not any, since I was 17 a few years ago, in Longbridge, before they built on the land..

UW82 Monday 15th July 2013 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2774046)
Hi Dave/Des
we had 4 marbled white at the Flashes 12th July.B (:john

Good to see the Marbled Whites are present John, but they are very late.

Des.

keithr Monday 15th July 2013 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2774059)
Good to see the Marbled Whites are present John, but they are very late.

Des.

Might be late but are showing everywhere now .....I posted on worcestershire butterflies and moths about 100's locally.....longbridge/hopwood.
Keith

Woodchat Monday 15th July 2013 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2774048)
Great about the glowworms, have not any, since I was 17 a few years ago, in Longbridge, before they built on the land..

Hi John,

They are really magical insects. I looked into previous documented records in Worcestershire and found the following historical data online:

Worcestershire
Nr. Martley, N.W. of Worcester, close to bank of River Teme, many females and larvae, June 1966 and previous years.
Chase End Hill, S. of Malvern, several 1967-1969.
S. end of Malvern Hills, Nr. Little Malvern, (SO 763388), 1968-69.
Shatterford, Nr. Bewdley, up to 12, 1954-1963 (last seen).
Ladywood, Droitwich, 1 June 1969, very common up to 1967.
Droitwich, in garden and on railway line between Worcester and Droitwich, numerous, recent.
Great Comberton, Bredon, common mid-June 1965, 12, 1966, 3, 1968, none seen in 1969.
Monkwood, c.3m N. of Worcester, 1 female June 1973.

Herefordshire
Cusop Nr. River Wye, Black Mountains. [date not given, but I have received reports from private land near Cusop in recent years - RS]
Colwall S. of Malvern.
West Malvern, all June-August c.1915.
Moccas 1972.
Nr. Titley Station 1970.
Woolhope Road, Mordiford 1972.
Common Hill, Fownhope 1972.
Dinmore Wood 1972.
News Wood, Malverns 1972.
Frith Wood, Ledbury 1972.

B. Sites reported to Robin Scagell
Site Map Location and details if any: f = (glowing) females
No Ref

225 SO0039 Llangeview, Usk, Gwent 1991 6 f 1991
557 SO040877 Llandinam, 1987
519 SO2171 Little Hen Cefn, Llangunllo. 7 or 8 yrs ago on road.
549 SO5204 Gardens of The Priory, Llandogo, Gwent. 1936
109 SO7202 Along canal, Slimbridge, Glos 100f 1991
507 SO7646 Field opposite Old Hollow, West Malvern, 1950s
573 SO827091?Haresfield Beacon. Dozens, Jul/Aug 1976.
590 SO889339 Mythe Railway Reserve. 8f, 11.7.90.
588 SO897333 Rly embankment, Tewkesbury. 79f, 10.7.90.
589 SO898332 Rly embankment, Tewkesbury. 7f, 10.7.90. [See remarks for Gloucestershire for more details]
553 SO9013 Cranham Scout Camp 2f Jul 75

NOTE: Because there are few recent sites in Worcestershire, I have added a few from neighbouring areas. But it would be very worthwhile to visit the old Worcestershire sites and to locate new ones if possible - RS

I will be submitting these latest sightings to WBRC (apparently they've had few records from Worcs recently) and I have already reported them to the UK Glowworm survey.

Cheers,

Dave:t:

Phil Andrews Monday 15th July 2013 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2774048)

Had a few glowworms last summer on Castlemorton Common whilst looking for something I'm not allowed to talk about! Hadn't appreciated their rarity.

Woodchat Monday 15th July 2013 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2774290)
Had a few glowworms last summer on Castlemorton Common whilst looking for something I'm not allowed to talk about! Hadn't appreciated their rarity.

Probably under-reported more than anything. Who (except a few mad people!) goes out late at night in grassland areas these days? 8-P

Woodchat Monday 15th July 2013 21:39

The pick of this evening,s birds were:

1 Hobby (flew over causing havoc amongst the 300+ roosting hirundines)
1 Kestrel hovering over the setaside field
Raven

3 Glowworms seen this evening including one very close to my house (just across the road by the allotments).

UW82 Monday 15th July 2013 22:09

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2774296)
Probably under-reported more than anything. Who (except a few mad people!) goes out late at night in grassland areas these days? 8-P

I have attached a map, Dave ,showing the distribution of glow worms in VC 37. The red squares indicate records between 1975-2012. Orange squares indicate records prior to 1975 and yellow squares go back hundreds of years!

Des.

Woodchat Monday 15th July 2013 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2774662)
I have attached a map, Dave ,showing the distribution of glow worms in VC 37. The red squares indicate records between 1975-2012. Orange squares indicate records prior to 1975 and yellow squares go back hundreds of years!

Des.

Cheers Des - will have to cross-check whether the Droitwich ones are included in this when I get back on a PC (currently viewing on phone). My mum once told me she saw hundreds when she was growing up near Broughton Green (Temple Broughton farm)- but these were probably never documented.

Woodchat Tuesday 16th July 2013 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2774662)

Des.

Having looked at this, the most central orange square looks like it is closest to Droitwich - although I'm not sure it corresponds exactly. This must mean that there are no official records for the Droitwich area since before 1975! I must admit I never submitted a record for the ones I saw ~25 years ago at Porter's Mill and I would have to dig deep to find my notes from that time.

I also note that there is an article in one of the local papers featuring an organised Glow worm hunt around Malvern next Friday - there is a number to ring if anyone wants to join them - I'll post it later.

UW82 Tuesday 16th July 2013 08:53

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2774801)
Having looked at this, the most central orange square looks like it is closest to Droitwich - although I'm not sure it corresponds exactly. This must mean that there are no official records for the Droitwich area since before 1975! I must admit I never submitted a record for the ones I saw ~25 years ago at Porter's Mill and I would have to dig deep to find my notes from that time.

I also note that there is an article in one of the local papers featuring an organised Glow worm hunt around Malvern next Friday - there is a number to ring if anyone wants to join them - I'll post it later.

Attached is a better map Dave.

Des.

Woodchat Tuesday 16th July 2013 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by UW82 (Post 2774825)
Attached is a better map Dave.

Des.

That's better. Cheers Des.

Woodchat Tuesday 16th July 2013 22:05

4 Attachment(s)
Glow worm count this evening: Five glowing females

3 on Gorsey Bank (grid ref: SO8815362176)
2 by allotments (grid ref: SO8831762065) including one very close to the Roman Way (<10 metres from the roadside).

I tried a few photos with varying (over)-exposures and flash (I read that this does them no harm). In the flash one, it is just about possible to make out quite a lot of the insect's body but it's a little blurred. Not easy with my camera!

Also attached is the article from 'Worcester News' re the organised evening searching for them around Malvern on Friday evening from 8:30pm (telephone number given).

Woodchat Tuesday 16th July 2013 22:26

1 Attachment(s)
Also this evening were several juvenile birds including juv Reed Buntings, Chiffchaffs and Green Woodpeckers.

2 Ravens went to roost in their usual tree.

Hirundine count 300+ again.

Lots of Swifts (40+).

I took a photo of this small Moth sp. (below). I'll try and work out what it is - my initial guess is a geometrid / wave of some sort. Any suggestions as to the i.d. are welcome. :t:

Woodchat Wednesday 17th July 2013 10:23

1 Attachment(s)
More local Glow worm records:

I received the following info and map from Robin Scagell who organises the national Glow worm survey. Some very interesting recent observations in the area:
  • 1 female in Trench Wood on 24/06/12
  • 3 females between Shernal Green and Dunhampstead on 24/07/08

And, most interestingly (for me):
  • 3 females between Harford Hill and New Mill Farm, near Ladywood on 24/08/11 (EDIT: this area's referred to as 'Hadley Heath' in the survey reports - up to 6 females reported there)
- i.e. in or near the damp meadow ON MY PATCH where I was regularly getting Green Sandpipers and Snipe earlier in the year (plus 2 Woodcocks). There is also some dry scrub and grassland along there. I will definitely be checking that area out in the near future!