BirdForum

BirdForum (https://www.birdforum.net/index.php)
-   Worcestershire (https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224800)

upstarts1979 Wednesday 15th August 2012 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2514419)
Went down this evening - very quiet bird-wise - even the Swallow roost was down - probably less than 150 individuals cf. 400 - 500 the other evening.

Dave 4 groups totalling 60+ moved south, late evening. Maybe migrating but could also be going to your roost. It would be interesting to know if its the same birds each night or there is a fresh influx. Could it be birds stay for a few days, to be replaced by others in a leapfrog type situation, moving to traditional sites as they slowly move south.
There used to be a roost at Upton in the 90's but that has long disappeared.
B (:John
ps does anyone know of any other swallow roosts in our region

Woodchat Wednesday 15th August 2012 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2514789)
Dave 4 groups totalling 60+ moved south, late evening. Maybe migrating but could also be going to your roost. It would be interesting to know if its the same birds each night or there is a fresh influx. Could it be birds stay for a few days, to be replaced by others in a leapfrog type situation, moving to traditional sites as they slowly move south.
There used to be a roost at Upton in the 90's but that has long disappeared.
B (:John
ps does anyone know of any other swallow roosts in our region

Hi John,

Several small groups of 20 or so were continuing to drop in just before I left. Possibly the warm weather caused a change in behaviour as the gathering was much less concentrated and flocks were feeding higher prior to roosting. I suspect you are correct, that different individuals are involved each evening as there seem to be varying numbers of Sand Martins mixed amongst them. I didn't see any Sand Martins last night, for instance, but there were quite a few the other evening.

Oakley Pool is another place where I have witnessed large hirundine roosts in recent years - 2 or 3 years ago there were over 1000 roosting during April. Haven't checked it recently though as it is a bit of an effort to bird compared to my local patch.

Woodchat Thursday 16th August 2012 20:14

A Common Sandpiper flew down the river calling from the weir pool below Salwarpe village this evening - another patch tick for me.

A Hobby circled over north of the reedbed earlier on. Otherwise quiet - a few Chiifchaffs, two Willow Warblers, Blackcaps, Bullfinch, two Buzzards and a flock of Goldfinches. Just a few Swallows by the time I left.

Woodchat Saturday 18th August 2012 07:00

A Tree Pipit just circled the reedbed calling then landed in a tree in the eastern side. This is only my third record for the site.

Woodchat Saturday 18th August 2012 08:07

Crossbill over Salwarpe calling again. Higher up this time.

Woodchat Sunday 19th August 2012 20:50

A Grass Snake swam across the canal this evening.

A round-up of this weekend's highlights as follows:

Male Redstart this morning (same place as last weekend), Tree Pipit and Crossbill yesterday. House Sparrows (12 west of Salwarpe + many more around Porter's Mill), 3 Grey Herons, Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail, Goldcrest (family party of 4 this evening plus others), Willow Warblers (8+), two Ravens, Whitethroats (2 plus family party of 5 near Porter's Mill), Sedge Warbler, Reed Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, 2+ Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Linnets, Goldfinches, Song Thrushes, Bullfinches, Greenfinches, Chaffinches, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Jays, Mistle Thrush, House Martins and seven Swifts.

The Swallow roost has dwindled to less than 50 yesterday (10% of a couple of weeks ago). It was up a little this evening with a few Sand Martins mixed in.

Also seen: Migrant Hawker, Brown Hawkers, Southern Hawker, Common Darter, Banded Demoiselle, Peacock butterfly, a couple of Skippers, Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers.

Woodchat Monday 20th August 2012 20:55

Two Hobbies north of the reedbed this evening, 1 male Sparrowhawk over plus 2 Buzzards, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Linnet and a few Chiffchaffs.

Several groups of Canada Geese (>180 in total) flew up the valley towards Westwood at dusk with a constant stream of gulls (mainly black-heads plus a few large ones) heading that way too.

Well over 100 Swallows gathered this evening and a couple of Noctules came out to hunt. 6+ Pipistrelles seen also.

upstarts1979 Monday 20th August 2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2519243)
Two Hobbies north of the reedbed this evening, 1 male Sparrowhawk over plus 2 Buzzards, Kingfisher, Grey Heron, Linnet and a few Chiffchaffs.

Several groups of Canada Geese (>180 in total) flew up the valley towards Westwood and dusk with a constant stream of gulls (mainly black-heads plus a few large ones) heading that way too.

Well over 100 Swallows gathered this evening and a couple of Noctules came out to hunt. 6+ Pipistrelles seen also.

Dave
Hopefully you will be getting a Marsh harrier soon;)

Woodchat Monday 20th August 2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by upstarts1979 (Post 2519270)
Dave
Hopefully you will be getting a Marsh harrier soon;)

That's the one I'm hoping for John. Don't think one would hang around the site for long so I'm going to have to be extremely lucky to connect - very few records from nearby Westwood! :t:

Woodchat Saturday 25th August 2012 08:02

Another Tree Pipit over - called twice.

Spotted Flycatcher along the canal and male Redstart in trees and bushes along the Salwarpe between Salwarpe village and Ladywood.

Little Owl calling. Swift over.

Two Little Owls showing well in oak tree near Ladywood.

Woodchat Monday 27th August 2012 06:55

A Yellow Wagtail flew over calling between Ladywood and Salwarpe - a new patch tick for me!
At least one Redstart still present in bushes in sloping pasture opposite Coney Meadow earlier.

Birder Gladys Monday 27th August 2012 14:53

4 Attachment(s)
just a quick windswept walk before dinner.
1 windswept bug
1 windswept greenfinch
1 windswept greenvane
1 boatman

Woodchat Monday 27th August 2012 18:13

4 Attachment(s)
A full round-up of species recorded over the bank-holiday weekend as follows:

Canada Geese, Mallard, Pheasant, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Hobby, Water Rail, Moorhen, Coot, Black-headed Gull, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Little Owl (2), Swift, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Swallows (inc. 2 freshly fledged juvs being fed by parents - photo below), House Martins, Tree Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Common Redstart (male and female), Song Thrush, Blackbird, Blackcaps, Common Whitethroat (2), Lesser Whitethroat, Reed Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers (4+), Goldcrests, Wren, Spotted Flycatcher, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Magpie, Jay, Jackdaw, Rooks, Carrion Crow, Raven (7), Starlings, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Bullfinches, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer (1 yesterday between Salwarpe and Ladywood).

(64 bird species). Mistle Thrush and Sedge Warbler notably absent!

Insects included several Hornets, Meadow Grasshopper (photo below), Roesel's Bush Crickets, Brimstone Moth (picture below), Large White, Small Whites, Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Brown Hawkers, Southern Hawker, Migrant Hawker (photo below) and Banded Demoiselles.

Common Frogs, Red Fox.

Woodchat Saturday 1st September 2012 19:59

A Hobby was perched in the dead branches of the nearby oak tree first thing, then flew off north-west.

A steady passage of Pied Wagtails over this morning plus a few Pipits - all flying roughly due south-west - including 2 Tree Pipits high over calling plus the first Meadow Pipits of the autumn (about 4 over in an hour).

Still plenty of Warblers about - mainly Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, Reed warblers plus one Lesser Whitethroat.

Other birds this morning included Coal Tit, 2 Goldcrests, House Martins, Swallows, Linnets, Bullfinches, Goldfinches, Buzzards, LBBG's, Black-headed Gulls, Reed Buntings, Grey wagtails, Kingfisher, Great Spotted and Green Woodpeckers.

On Thursday evening, 3 Water Rails were calling from the reedbed.

Woodchat Sunday 2nd September 2012 20:30

1 Attachment(s)
A Spotted Flycatcher was perched in the dead branches of the oak tree opposite the screen this evening, darting out to catch insects in typical fashion. Another Spot Fly was in bushes along the Salwarpe about halfway between Ladywalk and Salwarpe - about half a kilometre west of the first bird.

Also present today - 3 Ravens, Grey Heron, Buzzards, 30+ Pied Wagtails over, 2 Grey Wagtails, Kingfisher, Goldcrests, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, Reed Warbler, Willow Warbler, Linnets and Water Rails calling from the reedbed. Increasing numbers of Gulls (LBBG, Herring and Black-heads) heading towards Westwood to roost.

Insects included my first Common Blue for the patch this year (picture below) and only my second anywhere this year - my first was yesterday at Upton Warren. They seem abnormally late to emerge this year.

Also, Speckled Wood, Hornet, Brown Hawkers and Southern Hawkers present.

Woodchat Monday 3rd September 2012 20:15

The hirundine roost was much better this evening than of late - with 150+ Swallows and a few Sand Martins mixed in. A couple of Ravens came in to roost in their favorite tree and a Water Rail called from the reedbed.

2+ Hornets were buzzing around plus Brown, Migrant and Southern Hawkers.

Noctule and Pipistrelles at dusk.

Also, had a good discussion with Mark Robinson - the ecologist for the Canal and River Trust - regarding the ongoing management of the site.

Woodchat Thursday 6th September 2012 19:48

A Hobby catching insects this evening and showing, on and off, for about 20 minutes. Great views of a male Kingfisher - caught a small fish from the canal. Water Rails called from the reedbed. Two Ravens lured out from their roost by a passing Buzzard - which they mobbed. Also Goldcrests and Chiffchaffs calling from the hedgerows. Lots of Gulls flying over towards Westwood at dusk.

The Swallow roost numbered 50 - 60 and a couple of Noctules were flying about again plus a few Pipistrelles.

Woodchat Sunday 9th September 2012 18:57

Small groups of Meadow Pipits over this morning plus a Siskin. A Hobby flew over Ladywood, briefly chasing the large group of Swallows and House Martins gathered there. At least three Common Whitethroats plus Lesser Whitethroat and a Willow Warbler seen during a circular walk via Harford Hill Cottage. A Little Owl was calling. Also recorded today; two Ravens, Buzzard, Goldcrests, Nuthatches, Coal Tits, Treecreeper, Reed Warbler, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Jay, Bullfinches, Linnets, Godlfinches, Greenfinches, Stock Doves, Rooks, LBBG's, Herring Gulls, BH Gulls and Grey Heron.

Birder Gladys Sunday 9th September 2012 21:24

quite a good count,maybe with a few more birders the Meadows could join in on the all dayer challenge?
Tim

Woodchat Monday 10th September 2012 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2534041)
quite a good count,maybe with a few more birders the Meadows could join in on the all dayer challenge?
Tim

Good idea - might do an all-dayer in the spring - 70 species would be a good target I reckon. :t:

Birder Gladys Monday 10th September 2012 21:06

Just thought you may like this,not sure where about on the canal though
I found this when I put Droitwich in search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41X03olp-7U

Woodchat Tuesday 11th September 2012 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birder Gladys (Post 2534803)
Just thought you may like this,not sure where about on the canal though
I found this when I put Droitwich in search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41X03olp-7U

Some nice footage there - I've seen quite a few Roe Deer in the area but never one swimming before! :t:

Phil Andrews Tuesday 11th September 2012 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodchat (Post 2535447)
Some nice footage there - I've seen quite a few Roe Deer in the area but never one swimming before! :t:

Was wondering how it could get out with banks that sheer?

Woodchat Tuesday 11th September 2012 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Andrews (Post 2535451)
Was wondering how it could get out with banks that sheer?

If it was along the Droitwich -Salwarpe stretch there are several fishing pegs that would've allowed it to clamber out - at least I hope it got out, anyhow.

Woodchat Sunday 16th September 2012 20:30

Pretty quiet this morning with fewer warblers than of late, except Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps which still appear to be plentiful. Two Siskins and a steady stream of Meadow Pipits over marked the changing seasons. Also 6 Mistle Thrushes, 4 Grey Herons, 6+ Common Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, 2 Ravens, 17 Linnets, 30+ Coldfinches, Nuthatch, 2+ Treecreepers, Coal Tit, Goldcrests, Swallows and House Martins.