• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon macro lenses (1 Viewer)

Tim Taylor

work in progress
Hi All

Currently I use the Sigma 150mm macro but not the OS version. I like to travel as light as poss when doing macro and I wonder if it would be much of an advantage to get the OS version of the same lens or to get the Canon 100mm IS. Any opinions welcome.

Cheers, Tim

Attachments

• yellow dung fly scathophaga stercoraria.jpg
    yellow dung fly scathophaga stercoraria.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 68
Tim Taylor,
If you want to travel really light: use the Canon 50 mm macro, I am very satisfied by its performance and I use it a lot.
Gijs van Ginkel

Tim Taylor,
If you want to travel really light: use the Canon 50 mm macro, I am very satisfied by its performance and I use it a lot.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks for ther idea. What I meant was I like to handhold rather than use a tripod or monopod for macro so I'm thinking of moving to an image stabilised lens to increase the number if keepers.

Hi All

Currently I use the Sigma 150mm macro but not the OS version. I like to travel as light as poss when doing macro and I wonder if it would be much of an advantage to get the OS version of the same lens or to get the Canon 100mm IS. Any opinions welcome.

Cheers, Tim

I've just ordered the Canon 100mm IS USM - seems to get great reviews and I am keen to start getting some better shots of plants, inverts etc.

cheers, alan

I have the Canon 100mm f2.8 IS USM and the Canon 180mm f3.5 USM which is (roughly) equivalent to the Sigma 150mm in weight. The 100 is about 650g lighter than the 180 (lenshoods and tripod collars included) and is my choice for travelling. I use it nearly always with a Kenko Teleplus Pro300 AF 1.4X DGX which is extremely light and doesn't seem to affect IQ.

I only really take photos of dragonflies so can't comment on how it works for smaller creatures.

Attachments

• 600D_7567-2.jpg
    600D_7567-2.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 81
Paul, can I use the Canon 1.4 TC with the 100 macro? I've never seen a white TC being used with a black macro lens!

cheers, a

Thanks Paul. The 100 with a TC seems a reasonable way forward but I wonder if the Sigma 150 with the OS would be better. My non OS 150 is fabulous and very robust but I've not heard much about the OS version.

Thanks Pete and Paul. I guess if I use the 7D2 rather than the 1D4 and add a 1.4x TC I can still get a reasonable working distance.

PS Lovely moths Pete.

Can't comment on the 150mm sigma with OS but I have the 180mm OS version and apart from the weight it's a great lens. I also have a Canon 100mm non - IS for when I need to travel light.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back