• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Birdforum Lockdown List - April and May (3 Viewers)

dantheman

Bah humbug
As per the previous thread https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=387738 -

A joint list for folk in self-quarantine, lockdown and the like. Most of us now probably! Post your daily sightings, additions, photos even if you want. I'll keep an updated total for Europe at least initially. Starting from scratch - all birds from April 1st only.

Rules should be simple but essentially any garden birds or birds seen on local exercise only (foot or cycle) from home, no essential car journeys though sorry. Fire away ...

Last edited:
Peregrine Falcon (with unidentified prey!)
Black Redstart
Spotless Starling
Blackbird
Ring-necked Parakeet
House Sparrow
Common Swift
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Feral Pigeon

Some extras(?) Prob forgotten some:
Mute Swan
Canada Goose
Mallard
Cormorant
Grey Heron
Coot
Moorhen
Sparrowhawk
Common Snipe
Herring Gull
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Green Woodpecker
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Dunnock
Wren
Robin
Song Thrush
Starling
Greenfinch
Chaffinch
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting

Snipe was an unexpected patch year tick, as the patch drew a blank over the winter

Last edited:
Including my exercise walks around my neighborhood:

Common Merganser
House Sparrow
Eurasian Starling
American Robin
Common Grackle
Mourning Dove
Herring Gull
Double-crested Cormorant
Canada Goose
Dark-eyed Junco
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Merlin

Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Redwing, Treecreeper. Almost threw on Goosander, but Mysticete already had it under an alias.;)

Nope keep it in. I'll do a combined list for Europe, and we can do a separate list for each other continent thereafter (it's just a nightmare trying to reconcile bird names and other issues doing a 'whole world' one initially.)

So I have to start my list as of today?
I'll start with my new ones.

Greenfinch
Redstart (common)
Red billed Chough
Magpie
Water Pipit

And double ups i.e. seen today but previously listed in March

Kestrel
Red Kite
Black Kite
Buzzard

Swallow
Crag Martin
Black Redstart
House Sparrow
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Jay
Great Tit
Blackbird
Chaffinch
Carrion Crow
Chiffchaff
Blackcap
Robin
Song Thrush
Nuthatch

Here are what I got yesterday from our house in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

1) Rock Pigeon
2) Asian Koel
3) House Swift
4) Black Kite
5) Coppersmith Barbet
6) Rose-ringed Parakeet
7) Black Drongo
8) House Crow
9) Large-billed Crow
10) Common Tailorbird
11) Barn Swallow
12) Red-vented Bulbul
13) Asian Pied Starling
14) Common Myna
15) Jungle Myna
16) Oriental Magpie-robin
17) Purple Sunbird
18) Indian Silverbill
19) House Sparrow
20) Barn Owl

Will anyone be keeping track of an Asia list? Though, will there even be anyone else besides me?
I can try to keep track of the Asia list if no one else is. It'd be fun to combine all the lists at the end of the month and see what we get.

Morning all, I can add eight more from yesterday:

Fieldfare, Mistle Thrush, Marsh Tit, Short-toed Treecreeper ( Garden lifer!), Raven, Brambling, Bullfinch, Yellowhammer.

From my essential exercise yesterday, along the beach to the low tide line and back through the dunes. The twelve Whooper Swans on the beach at first light were unexpected. A dog walker disturbed them and they took off heading north, slowly climbing towards the Lake District fells. I probably missed a few other things but don't feel comfortable carrying my scope around at the moment.

Mute Swan
Whooper Swan
Canada Goose
Barnacle Goose
Shelduck
Mallard
Pintail
Shoveler
Wigeon
Teal
Tufted Duck
Common Eider
Red-breasted Merganser
Little Grebe
Cormorant
Little Egret
Moorhen
Coot
Oystercatcher
Common Ringed Plover
Grey Plover
Lapwing
Knot
Sanderling
Common Redshank
Curlew
Black-headed Gull
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Wood Pigeon
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Dunnock
Stonechat
Blackbird
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Magpie
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch
Reed Bunting

Attached the list for Europe for 1st April, from garden, or on foot or cycle from home (with Tawny Owl sneaking in too).

With an additional 7 (8 if you were to count Am Herring Gull) for N America and 15 for Asia I make that 122 or so ...

Absolutely no idea what targets should be for UK, Europe or World by months end - 220, 300, 500??

Attachments

• Joint BF 1st April.pdf
    150.7 KB · Views: 44
Here are what I got yesterday from our house in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Will anyone be keeping track of an Asia list? Though, will there even be anyone else besides me?
I can try to keep track of the Asia list if no one else is. It'd be fun to combine all the lists at the end of the month and see what we get.

If it is just yourself, keeping track of it via posts on here won't be too difficult I guess. See how it goes as the month progresses!

btw are the bird species above likely to be IOC recognised names?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back