• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7x36 EX Birder ** Lowest Price ** (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hey guys thought you would want to know. Just ordered the 7x36 Excursion Ex Birder new from Binoculars.com for $169.95 (instock) today & that includes the shipping. Read so much about competitors in that configuration going for the consumer dollar, just had to see for myself how they stand up to the Swift & Vortex .

gcole,

Please do post your insight into this model. The configuration intrigues many of us. I would be curious to see how a $170 7x36 roof performs.

Any reviews or user descriptions on the Bushnell 7x36 Birder yet?
Comparisons with Swift 7x36?

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Birder and Bowhunter....no confusing who each model is geared at with those names.

;)

True enough, but there is an ergonomic difference I noticed in the 8x36 EX examples. The camo 8x36 has a much nicer, softer, quite grippy surface. The standard EX I thought was sort of slick and had kind of a toy feel. Maybe the Birder will have a better armor.

I'm also curious to see how it and the Diamondback 7x36 compare to the Swift.

Given that me and Steve have the Swift Eaglet 7x36 and neither of us appear to be getting the Bushnell 7x36 I suspect we might be waiting a while for that comparison. ;)

Any other Swift Eaglet 7x36 users out there?

If it was $179 I might have risked it (and in fact if I'd wised up and got it at that point it might have been interesting) but $250 seems pretty serious for some reason. I think I'm wary after trying out the 8x36 EX last year and being very disappointed.

Did gcole get them for $170?

I could be wrong, but I thought the 8x36 image was decent, but it certainly isn't where the Swift is. Where I may be wrong is the assumption that the only thing that the Bushnell may gain is fov. A wide fov without some other features to either enhance or compliment it is not worth much to me. I know what the Swift is, and it works for me. I still may check the EX,but there some other things on the radar right now.

I think I'm wary after trying out the 8x36 EX last year and being very disappointed.

I thought I was the only one that had a bit of a negative opinion about the 8x36 EX. I wanted to like it because of the specs, size and design but just couldn't warm up to the image. Same thing could be said of the Cabelas Alpha Extremes.

I thought I was the only one that had a bit of a negative opinion about the 8x36 EX. I wanted to like it because of the specs, size and design but just couldn't warm up to the image. Same thing could be said of the Cabelas Alpha Extremes.

I loved the enclosure (and the grip) but the CA and the stray light really put me off.

What I can't understand is that 8x36 was something like $170 or so. The new one is $250? But it's still an Excursion EX not a Legend and were still waiting for the Legend with ED glass for $300.

I'm not understanding Bushnell's pricing or branding anymore ... it seems to be akin to slicing pretty clear brand "levels" Excursion, Legend and Elite into smaller and less meaningful chunks: Excursion, Excursion EX, Legend, Legend HD and Elite and Elite E2.

Last edited:
Bushnell Birder 7x36 EX $169.95

Thats right ! Around that time (May 10th) a few dealers had them on sale for $169.95 so I thought well if I dont like them I will be able to resell & get my money back. Then a few days later the price shot back up to $250. I wonder if it was a marketing scheme on Bushnell's part trying to send a message ?

(Not to sound negative but...) And what message would that be? That we can drastically increase the price of our products without improving anything optically or mechanically?

Who do they think they are? Zeiss? Swaro? Leica?

;)

Thats right ! Around that time (May 10th) a few dealers had them on sale for $169.95 so I thought well if I dont like them I will be able to resell & get my money back. Then a few days later the price shot back up to $250. I wonder if it was a marketing scheme on Bushnell's part trying to send a message ?

If that's the case then they haven't read any behavioral economics recently.

It just set my price anchor back to were the old 8x36 was (and still is) at $170. So $250 now looks rather expensive. It's best to start high and drop ("look at this deal" ...). Maybe they'll still do that but in the meantime I'll wait for someone else to jump.

They may well have improved the optics (I should hope so) but I guess I'll wait until they drop a bit in price.

That said they do have a 9.3 degree FOV and decent ER so they are "real 7x" in my reckoning: you give up some magnification on an 8x but get more FOV than you would with any modern 8x. And they're light too.

With that thought in mind I, too, will eagerly wait to hear of any further comments once they start arriving.

7x36 Bushnell Birder EX Has Arrived

Hello people...I just got my $169.95(on sale) 7x36 Bushnell Ex Birder Bino's. For those of you who wondered if they lived up to the hype, I believe Bushnell has a winner in their price range of $250.00. I have owned a pair of the Legend 8x32 & thru my 58 Yr old eyes using my glasses I would rate their image quality dead even if not better. The green rubber armor has a soft but furm feel with the entire build quality giving it a more expensive look than the price tag of $250. They are very nice to hold & overall very user friendly. The eyerelief is great & you will love the wide field of view. When you first pick them up your first thought will be wow they are built like a tank & Bushnell has gone out of their way to make sure that Cheap word never enters your head. Everything operates smoothly & they feel well balanced with their new design. The case is very impressive, the quality you would expect in a binocular costing twice as much. To sum it up ,it is not just one thing that makes this a great Bino in my opinion but the fact they did everthing right & at a price much less than you would expect for such good quality.

I saw that they still go for 169$ at B&H..there is another site that shows if you google "bushnell EX 7x36",called "robocops" or something..Anyway is a law enforcement gear site,they sell them for 184$,and they have the camo version and the black!!! version

B&H don't have it in stock but I presume they drop ship it (Bushnell are set up to do that). I was wondering if they're web site is behind.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&A=details&Q=&sku=598360&is=REG&BI=1239&kw=BU7X36E

The other cops site is CopsPlus

https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum7686.php

The camo version is the "Archer". The Green version is the Birder. And I presume the Black is everyone else!

Another thing to consider is the MAP (Minimum Advertized Price) a lot of companies will match or reduce their price over the phone but can't advertise that they do that. You just have to ask.

Last edited:
So is anyone else looking to pull the trigger on a pair of these? I know one or two of you has the 7x36 Diamondbacks locked up but I don't remember if anyone else was looking at the Bushnells.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back