• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean goose ID (uk) (1 Viewer)

rezMole

United Kingdom
The following was one of three similar birds at Welney yesterday. Reports on bird guides said there were three Tundra bean geese there. Is this one of them?

Looks more "Taiga" to me, but...

Attachments

• goose1.jpg
    goose1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 149
  • goose2.jpg
    goose2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 239
Went to see the three Beans last Sunday and was struck by the amount of orange on the bill of one of them-good to see someone got a few decent images.
I do not think though that it a Taiga, as it was similar in structure to the other two. All had rather short necks and short bills-very much like Pinkfeet, whereas Taiga should have a much longer neck and bill, which to some degree remind me of Whooper Swan.
I believe that bill colour is too variable between the two forms to allow reliable identification.
Some of the Tundras in this gallery have a lot of orange- http://www.pbase.com/ianfulton/beangoose

Yeah for me the structure of the bird (short neck, triangular bill, stocky appearance) appears to make it a Tundra Bean.

Connor

Unfortunately the other two geese didn't move and had their heads tucked in. On birdguides they have been reported as Tundra for the last month or so, but the amount of orange on the bills was what made me wonder if they really are Tundra.

Seems that there can be quite an "overlap" with bill size and colour.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back