• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anatomical Querie (1 Viewer)

timwootton

Hi Folks,
Just a hopeful punt into the blue. I'm looking to get access to EXCELLENT internal anatomical reference of birds, either in the form of taxidermy skeletons or top quality graphics of skeletons and muscelature.
Does anyone have such items, or can point me in the direction of any publications/collections please?
Thanks! - Tim

Hi Tim, I don't know if you've tried contacting Katrina Cook? She is an artist who is also the curator of Birds at the Natural History Museum in Tring, and she prepares and repairs study skins. I've read about her in Birds Illustrated and I think she knows quite a lot about bird anatomy. I wonder if she could help you?

Cheers VB - I know of Katrina (admired her work for a long time) and have already contacted NHM. Only problem is one of distance (I know, my fault no-one else's). I may have to make a trip 'Soooooth' soon.
Andy - manyt hanks - I had this website in favourites, but 'someone' lost it. Cheers for the pointer - possibly just the job.

You could try The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Ornithology
It has a good chapter on Anatomy and Physiology. Your Library should have a copy.
Depends how deep you want to go

A bit late but I would have suggested the skullsite too. I've spent quite a bit of time on there in the past just looking for no particular reason other than it's fascinating!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back