• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID South Africa (1 Viewer)

kitefarrago

I visited South Africa in the first half of August this year. I have various pictures of mostly raptors where I'm not confident regarding identification. I'm relatively new to birding and this was my first visit to the area. The pictures were taken in the southern half of Kruger National Park.

I'll probably post several times in an effort to make it all less confusing. Also, I'm not sure whether the size of the jpgs I'd like to post is sensible, and it seems better to try this out with a post containing not too many images.

I'd appreciate any help with the following bird, which appears to be a juvenile snake eagle. It was identified to me as a juvenile brown snake eagle, but the light colour of the head makes me wonder.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 95
  • snake2.jpg
    snake2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 109
  • snake3.jpg
    snake3.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 70
The very pale head/upperparts and the slight rufous cast to the underparts would point towards immature Black-chested Snake Eagle rather than Brown.

What do Immature Banded look like?

Structurally different from others Circaetus: more compact, shorter legged (with thicker tarsi) and with a shorter primary projection. Also often appearing even bigger headed than "typical" Circaetus.
The imms of both Southern and Western Banded Snake Eagle also usually show a whiter face contrasting with the nape and crown.

Structurally different from others Circaetus: more compact, shorter legged (with thicker tarsi) and with a shorter primary projection. Also often appearing even bigger headed than "typical" Circaetus.
The imms of both Southern and Western Banded Snake Eagle also usually show a whiter face contrasting with the nape and crown.

Cheers Tib's, again few images on the net it seems, of immature's anyway, agree the structures rather different.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back