• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Netherlands July (Warbler, Tern) (1 Viewer)

Indobirder

I recently visited the Netherlands and got some birding in. Could you help me with the following 2 birds?

Pics 1, 2, 3 - seen at Oostvaadersplassen (July 4th). I'm hoping for Savi's Warbler
Pics 4, 5 - seen at Holwerd (July 18th). Tern in front. Little Tern? One in the back is probably Common?

Thanks

Attachments

• 0Y7A8523 (2).JPG
    0Y7A8523 (2).JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 0Y7A8524 (2).JPG
    0Y7A8524 (2).JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 0Y7A8525 (2).jpg
    0Y7A8525 (2).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 75
  • 0Y7A9323 (2).JPG
    0Y7A9323 (2).JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 0Y7A9324 (2).JPG
    0Y7A9324 (2).JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 70
Doesn't look bulky and stout-billed enough for Great Reed Warbler? Looks like it is singing there, what was the song like?

Agree Common Tern for 4-5.

If it is between these two that the choice is limited, the general hue of the plumage, the primary projection, the color of the tarsus make me think more about palustris.
Jean

A bit of background info from the area, the great reed warbler is very very rare for the Netherlands, not ruling it out but unlikely. The population has been decimated and they're now few breeding pairs left.
From the other two options left: reed warbler (most common) and marsh warbler (less common) are both more likely.
As an infrequent visitor to the area I see reed warblers every visit (in season), times I heard or spotted marsh warblers can be counted on one hand and the great reed warbler has still been able to avoid me altogether there. There's a small stronghold about 30 odd km away, so it's not ruled out though ;)

For me: with no sound I can't tell them apart from these pictures, but nice pictures nonetheless.

Thanks all for the input. I don't remember what it sounded like, so I guess it'll have to remain as unknown. It was less reedy habitat, but that doesn't really determine anything...

I don't remember what it sounded like, so I guess it'll have to remain as unknown.
Savi's is very easy - constant low-pitched buzzing trill r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r. continuously

Reed - fairly repetitive, only a little bit of imitation of other birds.

Marsh - a real medley of imitation, sounds like a flock made up of 50 different species.

You can listen to recordings of them at Xeno-canto, just do a search for each species, and see if any triggers a memory.

Yeah - i know all that mate and have been using xeno-canto for years and have just returned from hearing 6 spp of Acro in Poland...

My advice was to the poster of the original question in order to make them more aware of the song rather than visual ID but thanks for the egg-sucking advice i’ll pass it on to an Oologist:t:

Laurie -

Savi's is very easy - constant low-pitched buzzing trill r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r.r. continuously

Reed - fairly repetitive, only a little bit of imitation of other birds.

Marsh - a real medley of imitation, sounds like a flock made up of 50 different species.

You can listen to recordings of them at Xeno-canto, just do a search for each species, and see if any triggers a memory.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately most sounds I heard were new and unknown to my ears at the time, and at this point I wouldn't be able to remember.

rollingthunder, the above was meant for me I think, no need to take offence.

I'll be sure to pay more attention to sounds next time (which will be a while :) )

Cheers

A tip is to play a few unknown songs (not too many it's very hard in the beginning) before heading out for expected (target) species.
I lucked out this summer by studying for the common rosefinch this year. Apparently it's song was also described as the bird saying "pleased to meet you", I guess if you're English that works... for me less so. But it was a nice unique call and while cycling across Gotland, Sweden I suddenly heard the call. Stopped and spotted one!
But it's very hard to do with no help from experienced birders, best find someone in your area and head out with him/her and pick up a few pointers in the field.

My advice would be to peruse Xeno-Canto. The World has moved on from the vinyl recordings that i had to use in the early 70’s. The wealth of information and variety of material for each species is amazing. Often there are recordings with a good number of associated species to test your knowledge if required. I download stuff to my phone as an aide-memoire.....not for use as a tape lure i hasten to add - this is something that i do not approve of despite there use by bird tour companies that should be setting a better example:C

As for local info each to their own but i prefer to find my own stuff and never use paid guides but make use of info that is out there and a bit of field-craft such as i posess:t:

Whatever your preference good birding -

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back