• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

chile (5 Viewers)

The one labeled Phrygilus fruticeti is as far as I can see Common Diuca Finch Diuca diuca.

At least the third image of Pelican is Peruvian, P. thagus -- as far as I know, any other pelican would be a rarity in Chile.

Niels

The one labeled Phrygilus fruticeti is as far as I can see Common Diuca Finch Diuca diuca.
Second that. Note rufous vent, grey breast, among other things.

At least the third image of Pelican is Peruvian, P. thagus -- as far as I know, any other pelican would be a rarity in Chile.
Niels
That's putting it mildly! According to Alvaro Jarmarillo's book, any other pelican species would be a first for Chile!

Number seven is intriguing - I get no sense of "finch-like" from that bill, so it's not a Sierra-finch of any kind. I think it might well be a Ground-tyrant, but they can be remarkably similar to one another. However, I don't think it's M. albilora - not enough of a prominent white spot in the lores. Might be Rufous-naped (M. rufivertex) though. On the other hand, it may not be a Muscisaxicola at all - I'm thinking, with such a fine eye-line and slight bill, it may be Cinerous Ground-tyrant (Dormillona cenicienta).

Can you narrow down the location more? Might eliminate a few candidates...

I think #8 is a Sierra-finch of some kind, but wouldn't want to speculate as to which... looks like a moulting immature.

I have yet to get a clear view of 7 and 8, downloads seem to freeze

Niels

Edit: and all of a sudden, they came through.
7 is certainly a ground tyrant, but my books are not in front of me, and location would be of great help to exclude some of them.

8 is strange: it looks like a mixture of juvenile and faded, which does not make sense to me. But yes, Phrygilus seems right and the guess on Valerie's page might even be right.

Oh, and Peter, in Opus, Cinereous Ground Tyrant is Muscisaxicola cinereus

Niels

Last edited:
Oh, and Peter, in Opus, Cinereous Ground Tyrant is Muscisaxicola cinereus

Niels

...as it is on Avibase, now that I look at it. I was going by Jaramillo, who puts this bird in a genus which seems not to exist anymore. Curiouser and curiouser...

Hi all,

Thanks for those answer. For the caracara, Steve, are you sure? Do you have 2-3 features that leads to plancus instead of chimango?

The Ground-Tyrant has been taken at Quebrada San Ramon, position :
25°23'05"S
70°27'00"O

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for those answer. For the caracara, Steve, are you sure? Do you have 2-3 features that leads to plancus instead of chimango?

The Ground-Tyrant has been taken at Quebrada San Ramon, position :
25°23'05"S
70°27'00"O

Thanks

Hi Valery,
Pretty sure, but I will get out the Ferguson-Lees & Christie when I get home from work - I will make sure.

Hi all,

I am not used to this latin, so didn't even look at the Caracara, at first - but I'm pretty sure it is a Chimango; bill doesn't look nearly massive enough for Southern.

I need my field guide at hand to see about the range of the various Ground-tyrant candidates.

Eduardo,
Well, I guess I see it, but only because of the distribution of the carpal white, and the extent of the black on the fingers. The evident colored sere is what threw me off. I took one look and said to myself plancus. Even googling, it is tough to find another chimango with a sere colored as much as this one.

Thanks... no more about the ground-tyrant with range?

I don't know exactly where San Ramon is, but Google Maps puts it near the coast near Taltal; in other words, not high up in the Andes. This, if correct, would rule out a few species (among them, Cinereous and (I think) White-browed). At the same time, I don't think I can conclude which of the remaining ones it may be, based just on location.

Possibly Spot-billed? The bill looks really short, and going by me field guide, that's the shortest-billed species. Just one look at a wing though, would have been very useful....

Sorry Valéry, I had forgotten this. According the the Jaramillo book, the area around the town you mention in Coastal Southern region II of Chile has only Rufous-naped, Spot-billed, and Dark-faced Ground-Tyrants. Dark-faced is definitely out, and for the other two, I am not sure I want to say for sure based on this photo, but you can compare to photos as well. I am confused by the supercilium seemingly going back too far for both species.

Niels

Off course there could also be a species not usually present there ...

Last edited:
Hi Valéry,
Number 7 looks like a Cinereous Ground Tyrant (Muscisaxicola cinerea) to be because of the light colouring, posture and sharp bill. The quebrada de San Ramon is in the mountains east of Santiago which would be in range for this species. Possibly the coordinates they gave you are wrong.

# 8 I'm positive that it's not a Phrygilus, it's either Geositta or Cinclodes. I'd say it's a juvenile Creamy-rumped Miner (Geositta isabellina).The other possiblity is a Bar-winged Cinclodes (Cinclodes fuscus) but because the light supercilium I'm inclined towards Geositta isabellina.
Cheers

Erik

Erik, there is a quebrada de San Ramon in coastal southern region II - make a google search. That is not to say that you cannot be right in saying there is a second one where you place it, and indeed that would produce a different set of suspects ...

Niels

Hi there,

Indeed there is a mistake with GPS coordinate... Erik has the proper place and obviously the right species! THANKS

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back